Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Cliplessless?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone Else Cliplessless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I switched my roadie back to platforms with clips when the clipless pedals broke. I got tired of wearing the same shoes and the "hotfoot."

Marc
Old 04-12-11, 11:24 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Clips and straps on the fixie
SPD on the commuter
Big 'ol Shimano SLs on the road bike.

Amazingly, they all work.
+1 plus CB Candy on the MTB

I pick the pedal and shoe system that works best for me with the bike and type of riding I do with it. I've never had a problem going from one type to another.
Old 04-12-11, 11:33 AM
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been 25 years since I rode with cleats and straps. I'd be terrified to do it today. Clipless all the way!

(By the way, I also use a microwave oven, electronically fuel injected car and a cellular phone. Old school for old school's sake doesn't make much sense to me.)
Old 04-12-11, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JamieElenbaas
It's been 25 years since I rode with cleats and straps. I'd be terrified to do it today. Clipless all the way!

(By the way, I also use a microwave oven, electronically fuel injected car and a cellular phone. Old school for old school's sake doesn't make much sense to me.)
I only rode toe clips,straps,and cleats, once, also at least 25 years ago,that was scary then..but only use toe clips and straps now..no cleats.
My car is mechanically injected....
Bud
Old 04-12-11, 02:23 PM
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bud, 911 2.4l ? ;-)
Old 04-12-11, 02:25 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Cliplessless? I keep reading this as clueless and I'm not sure how to answer.
Old 04-12-11, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JamieElenbaas
Bud, 911 2.4l ? ;-)
Naw, got rid of the 356,It had a carb. this one is an old 300TD turbo diesel wagon.

Bud
Old 04-12-11, 03:43 PM
old

Bikes: two, at present

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clips with straps on my 20+ year old mountain bike and spd "clipless" on the younger road bike.
Old 11-27-14, 08:22 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
***ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT***

It has been over 3yrs since I began this thread and am now going to give clipless a try this coming spring. Pedals are picked out but not as sure on the shoes quite yet.

My question is how do you order shoes online? Or is this easier done in a bike shop? I'm thinking the higher local pricing may be well worth the tag for this item.

What did you do?
Old 11-27-14, 08:30 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
My last pair of Shimano shoes were bought in a local Performance store - nice to be able to try on shoes.
Unfortunately, that store has closed. There are other bike shops, of course, but that one had large selection of a lot of stuff. There is another Performance shop in Indy, but it's way the heck on the other side of town. But, there is also an REI store up there, too, with lots of bike and other stuff.
Old 11-27-14, 08:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0033.jpg (98.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-27-14, 09:47 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL

It has been over 3yrs since I began this thread and am now going to give clipless a try this coming spring. Pedals are picked out but not as sure on the shoes quite yet.

My question is how do you order shoes online? Or is this easier done in a bike shop? I'm thinking the higher local pricing may be well worth the tag for this item.

What did you do?
okay Mr. Zombie...here's my re-entry rider newbie .02 on the topic...

I had never tried "clipless" until a couple months ago...as I reserved what turned out to be claimed by some as an unwarranted fear regarding the safety of such and was schooled by those who do and know that as long as things fit up and are properly adjusted?...with just a few practice sessions clipping in and out can be done as readily and proficiently as though you weren't clipped in at all...in an ingrained muscle memory sort of way and now that I have experienced such?...I tend to agree...not saying they're completely idiot proof as I have a tendency to dumby up in my older years but so far?...so good..and I now love the clipless system for the following reasons....

1. An extremely consistent foot position, (duh)

2. Which never emits that horrid squeaking sound a nike makes when it's rubbing on the crank arm because your foot got too close.

3. "The Superior Balance & Elevated Level Of Pedal Power" one experiences from an elevated level of leg energy going directly into the crank even on the upstroke leg.

That said?...I still had my "Beginner Doubts" so along with my $100 Specialized Body Geometry RBX Road Cleats?...I opted to go with "Dual-Interface Pedals" (just in case)...and love having the option of going clipless/cleats or platform/nikes...with exustar dual-interface pedals...

and loved them so much I even put the exustar dual-interface pedals on my Hybrid as well as my RB...so now my two top go-too bikes can be ridden either way.

That said?...no...don't order your cleated shoes off the net...the sales guy at my LBS liked to go by the euro sizes (claiming them to be a more accurate fit measurement)...and then wound up telling me about his goldylocks fitting procedure...where at the end of it all?...there were 3 pairs tried on....one pair on the small end of the sizing spectrum...one on the large and one in the middle and then pick the best fit "tight too my foot"....because a fit that's even a little loose?...will cost you both pedal energy and blisters...you don't want them moving or rocking at all when on your foot under pedal pressure yet at the same time?...not so tight as to decrease blood flow or cause discomfort.

So my recommendation?...donate the few extra bucks to your LBS and buy'em tight and get'im right the first time...and what you spend in higher retail?...might just save you some aggravating and excessive costs of applying return labels for cleats that don't fit "just right".
Attached Images
clipless1.jpg (52.5 KB, 13 views)
clipless2.jpg (63.5 KB, 13 views)
clipless3.jpg (45.4 KB, 13 views)
clipless4.jpg (47.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-27-14, 10:05 PM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I snagged a pair of MTB shoes on sale from $249 down to $80 yippee... I used the sizing chart on the website (Nashbar) and sized one up, as I planned to use them in cooler weather with heaver socks, and they fit perfectly.

I then rode around with my normal shoes and platform pedals and noted the fact that my right foot toes-in and my left foot toes-out Now I know why I veer to the left a lot. I squint a bit too.

Anyway, I was able to setup the cleats easily based on my rather spastic feet by making note of my 'normal' pedal/foot positions......

Now's the time to buy shoes online....I've been inundated with coupons left right and center for the past week. I'll be glad when it's over and I have to start paying full retail again...
Old 11-27-14, 10:16 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Bata Bikers were the best cheap cycling shoes.
+ 1.
Old 11-27-14, 10:21 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

What did you do?
Wait you un-zombied your own thread? lol. Local is great for shoes. Amazon has a free return policy on many of its shoes.
Old 11-27-14, 11:31 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Local. You may have to try different brands and shop around at different shops to find them. If your feet fit them, and most folks' do, I recommend Sidi Dominators with SPD pedals. Stiff shoes, easy to walk in, last forever. Most long distance riders here use these because they're practical, and as I say, last forever. Well, maybe only 100,000 miles before the liners wear out.
Old 11-28-14, 04:36 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Wouldn't CLIPLESSLESS mean you have clips? - Gilligan's Cyclery
Old 11-28-14, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

What did you do?
I’m glad I went clipless in 2006 after resisting for years. I do all my cycle shopping at my LBS because they provide such good service, and would never buy online something as important requiring personal sizing such as shoes.

As a counterpoint to the advice about clipless though, consider the tagline of my cycling friend and vintage (“old school”) cyclist, jimmuller,

Originally Posted by jimmuller
”Real cyclists use toeclips”
Old 11-28-14, 08:28 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

I would have gone "clipped in" this spring but instead was putting the bike funds into a fresh build. In the quest for performance it now looks like converting is the next step for improvement.

I am a classic cyclist and been using straps and clips since '74. This wont be easy.
Old 11-28-14, 09:08 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I am a classic cyclist and been using straps and clips since '74. This wont be easy.
I think using and holding onto things that reminds us of days past somehow makes us feel young again...but in a very irrational way...and you won't notice that last part until you try the clipless system...and suddenly discover how easy they are to use with no risk of immediately ending a ride with a strained or pulled back muscle from reaching down to tighten straps and then?....realize it's makes the pedal power of your legs feel at least a decade younger than they actually are.

So I don't think the change will be the difficult part at all....I think the difficult part will be changing your board name too...

"NewsCOOL"

Jk'ing...but seriously...I think it will turn out to be a very welcome change for you...one that in the end?...will add years and miles too your riding pleasure.

Last edited by Jinkster; 11-28-14 at 09:10 AM. Reason: speelin...what eles?
Old 11-28-14, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jinkster
I think using and holding onto things that reminds us of days past somehow makes us feel young again...but in a very irrational way...and you won't notice that last part until you try the clipless system...and suddenly discover how easy they are to use with no risk of immediately ending a ride with a strained or pulled back muscle from reaching down to tighten straps and then?....realize it's makes the pedal power of your legs feel at least a decade younger than they actually are.

So I don't think the change will be the difficult part at all....I think the difficult part will be changing your board name too...

"NewsCOOL"

Jk'ing...but seriously...I think it will turn out to be a very welcome change for you...one that in the end?...will add years and miles too your riding pleasure.
No sentimental value is attached (punfully intended) with the use of clips and straps. I have had several occasions where having straps saved me from danger. Aesthetically, my Cannondale is a hardcore racer and I built it for local courses. This winter I am losing 15Lbs fully knowing that extra weight slows me on hills and sprints. If my riding partner (trains for Tri's) can make the switch, I surely can (we hope to enter a race or two this summer).
Old 11-28-14, 09:20 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
t
oeclips, straps and all. I like them. Are there any stap survivors left here??
I have a Pedal wrench, & have TC pedals & straps *, & touring shoes , & I have clipless pedals and shoes,
but the bikes by the door, that get ridden the most , have platform pedals .

And use rubber sole shoes I can walk in comfortably , and keep my feet dry .

If I need to put the others on, the wrench makes it easy.

* on my month plus bike tours I prefer the loose shoe fit a toeclip-strap kit allows. Shoes with super comfortable insoles..

I Had custom modifications done to my shoes , a recessed slotted cleat ,so shoe was walkable,

For the get off and push hills & Belgian Cafe street side table, lounging..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-10-15 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-28-14, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have gone from toe clips to clipless, back to toe clips and straps, but honestly I think the newer platforms

with embedded pins beat them both for performance, comfort and convenience.

Marc
Attached Images
IMG_0522.JPG (74.2 KB, 76 views)
IMG_20140619_174445.jpg (96.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 11-28-14, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
mini clips, no straps. didn't even buy them just cut down the full size to make the minis
Old 11-28-14, 09:41 AM

My sweetheart '86 Trek 760 will always have the Superbe pedals with clips. It's just too nice to mess with and it's my go-to bike for casual rides around town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.