Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling past 50: What did you think?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling past 50: What did you think?

Old 11-29-04, 04:07 PM
Velo Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too much thinking. Just get on the bike and ride.
No, I don't want to minimize the importance of all the stuff you're supposed to do at our age to exercise safely. There's a lot to be said, though, for just DOING it. If you've been active most of your life, you can tell how your body is responding. After you have a decent base, if you want to go faster or farther, you can get seriously detailed about training.
Old 11-29-04, 06:41 PM
CRUM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Too much thinking. Just get on the bike and ride.
Ditto that.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
Old 12-07-04, 09:33 AM
Critman

Bikes: Road--CAAD 7. Litespeed, Mountain--Merlin, Cannondale Raven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found it to be the most comprehensive and easy to follow program I have tried, and I used it for three years when racing. It's not really meant to be a "good read", but was written for those of us over 50 wanting to optimize personal performance. All those charts are there for a purpose. And while the "Just Ride" approach is fine for many, those of us who are competetive and serious about training have found it to be a truely outstanding book. Joe also has an interactive website designed to assist those following his program.
Old 12-08-04, 04:36 PM
chicharron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I think books are fine, however I believe that too many people get too involved in the technology and accessories and trying too impress people with the kind of bike they ride, all the accesories, and then get too involved with charts and figures, ect, ect. The important thing is that you ride, man , ride. Just do it. I had a friend of mine at work. He was of modest means, had a production job, and worked at night. Didnt own a car. But he rode all the time. He would buy old 10 speed rode bikes at pawn shops and garage sales.and then fix them up. He could out ride anyone I know, was a true urban bicycle commuter.

Old 12-08-04, 07:05 PM
jacketch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
There's a lot to be said for just getting on the bike and riding away.... Until the last couple of years (I'll be 60 in January) I was faster than I'd been in my early 30s, and I can still ride farther than I used to in those days (that's mainly technique and patience, though...). I imagine the graphs and charts and numbers would be useful if I wanted to train for the Senior Olympics or something, but I pretty much just like to ride enough to keep my weight down.
I agree with that 100%. I am in better shape and have learned better technique (including understanding my body's abilities) over the years. I am a better, fitter rider at 57 than I was at 30.
Old 12-09-04, 04:47 PM
chicharron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jacketch
I agree with that 100%. I am in better shape and have learned better technique (including understanding my body's abilities) over the years. I am a better, fitter rider at 57 than I was at 30.
What's there to think about? Just ride.

Old 12-11-04, 11:28 PM
Holler1

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Critman
I found it to be the most comprehensive and easy to follow program I have tried, and I used it for three years when racing. It's not really meant to be a "good read", but was written for those of us over 50 wanting to optimize personal performance. All those charts are there for a purpose. And while the "Just Ride" approach is fine for many, those of us who are competetive and serious about training have found it to be a truely outstanding book. Joe also has an interactive website designed to assist those following his program.
I can see how the Friel book would be very useful to someone getting into racing or trying to improve century times. I found the first part on age effects interesting but I'm not ready for one of his strict training regimens that fill most of the book. Personally, I found Arnie Baker's Bicycling Medicine to have a lot more information on nutrition for cyclists, how nutrition relates to muscle function and performance, how heart rate and power relate to each other, etc. A good book!
Old 12-12-04, 08:58 AM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2960 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Come on you guys, it's just age 50, not 100!
Old 12-12-04, 10:22 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, Fox!
Old 12-12-04, 12:53 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jessica
Oh, Fox!
Very few people get my humor! Thanks for noticing it.

No one has yet noticed my response to the question posted in T&N forum:

How do you recover from being anaerobic??

which of course, is:

Anaerobics Anonymous?

It is terrible trying unsuccessfully to say some humorous things on this forum. But, I do try!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-12-04 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-13-04, 09:35 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

How do you recover from being anaerobic??

which of course, is:

Anaerobics Anonymous?
Oh $#!t!!
I wanna join!!

You just kill me!!
Old 06-27-05, 09:27 AM
ianwells
Ian Wells

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking for a book review, here is one by Rick Price of ExperiencePlus!. Disclaimer: Joe Friel works and rides with ExperiencePlus!. Joe designed our bike training program.

http://www.experienceplus.com/readin...g_past_50.html

"Why do we need a book of our own? (Yes, I'm fifty-three this year!) Because, as Joe demonstrates in the opening chapter, our systems begin to slow down, we tend to get slower, fatter (my word, not Joe's), and grayer. Take heart, though, fifty-plus readers, as only about 25% of our slowdown is physiological due to the inevitable aging process. The remainder is due to social/psychological factors. In short, we can stave off the aging process by following a "sensible program that combines high-intensity training, such as hills and intervals, with strengthening, stretching, a sound diet, and adequate recovery." As with anything, it takes time, focus, and good habits."
Old 06-27-05, 04:29 PM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folks over 50,60,70 have enuf already naysayers. Fuggetaboutem, I never read a "self help" or self improvement" book to date that wasn't about self helping the writer to a larger bank deposit. Seems most reasonably intelligent folks and that would include all posters I've read on the many bike forums in the last 14 months I've been here,have the intelligence to know one's own limitations, practical goals, body functions and can apply such to one's personal goals

The most rewarding thing I have found is that when I try, I can do.I can't remember a time when after I completed a great ride, or had a great gym workout, or yoga class which left me a bit limp,(change that to totally limp) that I wasn't pumped with personal satisfaction, and I sure in blazes don't get that feeling following someones ideas in print
Old 06-27-05, 04:33 PM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW to the previous poster who lists a residence in Ft Collins Co.
Would a drive to Denver, Crested Butte, and Telluride in early October, 05 on my way to LV and Palm Springs mean I'm going to have to face an involvement with snow on the hiways??
Old 06-28-05, 07:38 AM
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The general gist here is "just go out and ride" and I agree. One of the benefits of not being a hot rod youth is the ability to relax and enjoy things. Staying fit does not mean being a single-minded aerobic machine....although it is fun to overtake children on Stingrays, people pushing shopping carts with all their possessions, elderly women returnng from the grocery store, and young mothers pushing strollers.

Denver, it took me a few seconds to "get your joke" and then come down from an envy/insecurity flash. 8-)
Old 06-28-05, 07:55 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
How many of you ride with your spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend ?
Ubermenches ride with their spouse and their girlfriend/boyfriend
Old 07-09-05, 03:57 PM
steel_knee

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Book, Book, Don't need any stinking Book. I'm 67 and ride 20 miles each day, slower and more carefully, but enjoy the views more.
Old 07-10-05, 12:12 AM
taylor8

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
How many of you ride with your spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend ? My husband told me he is really glad I will ride with him (actually he rides with me) because the guys in his club tell him that most of the spouses aren't even interested in riding. Do you guys go at your spouses speed and forget about "racing" for the moment?
I ride all the time with my wife and love it. She is beter on a long haul but I do better less then 4 miles.

We did 8 miles on Friday. Into the wind was a killer.

Joe
Old 07-10-05, 02:55 PM
wfo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amen to that!

Old 07-10-05, 06:14 PM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steel_knee
Book, Book, Don't need any stinking Book. I'm 67 and ride 20 miles each day, slower and more carefully, but enjoy the views more.
I love it, great book review steely knee
Old 07-10-05, 07:22 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the book and was very disappointed in it. It's more like it should be called "Racing After 50 For Those Who Were Racers Before Reaching 50".

As a duffer fitness / recreational rider, the book is a bit intense and serious for me.

San Francisco, California
Old 07-13-05, 09:04 PM
Angus

Bikes: C'dale tandem, Specialized Roubaix,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that the book should have been called Cycle racing after 50. Nothing on the jacket copy warned me that the book was really targeted toward cycle racing.

Beyond that, I have to say that this was perhaps the worst written and poorest edited book that I've seen in some time.
Old 07-22-05, 07:52 PM
ken8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at a track meeting tonight and a number of cycllists were 50+ and competing with the 20 year olds. They lost of course, but nevertheless, I would be satisfied at being able to fit into lycra.