Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dog owners are idiots

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dog owners are idiots

Old 04-12-11, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a dog owner and I take offence from this thread
Old 04-12-11, 01:32 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan The Man
I am a dog owner and I take offense from this thread
This is the Fifty Plus Forum.
Come back in 26 years...Hi Dan.

Old 04-12-11, 01:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Fred, I see you're official now. I just clicked on the New Threads, didn't check what forum it is, but there was no stipulation that only 50+ dog owners are idiots.
Old 04-12-11, 04:17 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
............. Don't let the nice warm weather go to your head crank, this was last week.
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Well.....aaaa.....ummmm.....OH!

Last week is history. .......................

....and next week may never come.

I'll relish the warmth of today knowing full well that cold winds are just over the horizon.

The Dude has spoken!
16 miles and three dog walkers today....
*Friendly well mannered pets & owners.
*The cold winds are no longer just over the horizon. Brrrrrrrrrr, Gyro was right!!!!
Old 04-12-11, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Not all dog owners are morons. I think it's one of these classic situations where you hear about the bad dog owners, but little about the good ones. The 'burbs around Boston all have leash laws, and most dog owners abide by them. Most people I see walking their canine friends carry their, uh, "business bags" at the ready.
Old 04-12-11, 06:44 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I don't have much experience with MUPs. I don't expect everyone to keep their rural dogs penned up or on leash, but I do expect them to train them not to chase cars, bicycles or people. It is not that hard to do. My dogs run free but they know better than to chase or bark at anything in the street. Come into the yard or driveway and it is a different matter.

One group of dog owners I can't understand are the ones who take their dogs to bicycle races, putting the dog and the racers at risk. Do the dog a favor and leave it at home on race day.
Old 04-12-11, 08:28 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug.
It is possibily still up your ass where the dog owner stuffed it.
You sound like a complete coward and jerk.
Does the ill treatment of dogs make you feel adequate ?
Have you had similiar exploits with children ?
My, aren't we a bit overwrought....

-Bert
Old 04-12-11, 08:52 PM
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Recumbent riders are idiots, just to even things out.

Disclaimer, I am over 50 and a dog owner, and see more weaving 'bent riders than dogs on the road. YMMV
Old 04-13-11, 04:05 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Recumbent riders are idiots, just to even things out.

Disclaimer, I am over 50 and a dog owner, and see more weaving 'bent riders than dogs on the road. YMMV
So that was my problem, I was on my road bike!!!
Old 04-13-11, 04:13 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis

Oooo...nice bike. (really nice bike)
Originally Posted by Ranger63
Dude.... (80s jargon) that is one beautifull ride!
Originally Posted by RobertL
Yes she is Gorgeous!

I have a very similar 1985 Raleigh Olympian that I bought new. My new 2011 Trek 4.5 Madone is superior in every way, but I still love to ride that old Raleigh.
Thank you! I picked it up used from a local shop just a few years ago during a period when I was missing my old Varsity from '71. This is certainly a step up from the Schwinn yet it still delivers that good old steel feel.

My next little project will be resurecting and setting up my 1994 Schwinn 354's. Yes, that's right, I have a pair of them.....it's a long story to be covered in another thread at another time.
Old 04-13-11, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't comment on your rant about dog's, we have three Neopolitan Mastif's, very well trained. BTW, like your bike. Educate yourself a bit more about dogs.
Old 04-13-11, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by mkane77g
I won't comment on your rant about dog's, we have three Neopolitan Mastif's, very well trained. BTW, like your bike. Educate yourself a bit more about dogs.
Is it really the responsibility of those of us who chose not to share our homes and lives with critters to educate ourselves about them? Is it not the responsibility of those who do to train and control them?
Old 04-13-11, 09:23 AM
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the real idiots are people that are consistently afraid of a dog running with/after them.

Perception:

Reality:
Old 04-13-11, 10:33 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Is it really the responsibility of those of us who chose not to share our homes and lives with critters to educate ourselves about them? Is it not the responsibility of those who do to train and control them?
Using this logic, I guess you shouldn't try to understand the behavior of children if you don't have them - just keep driving fast when that ball comes into the street.
Old 04-13-11, 11:04 AM
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Using this logic, I guess you shouldn't try to understand the behavior of children if you don't have them - just keep driving fast when that ball comes into the street.
Except in that situation the roles are reversed; the one that might be harmed is the child rather than you.

Maybe I would keep driving fast, or speed up, if a ball comes into the street followed by a child pointing a handgun at me.
Old 04-13-11, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
You're making a huge stretch there.
Old 04-13-11, 11:58 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twobadfish
I think the real idiots are people that are consistently afraid of a dog running with/after them.

Perception:

Reality:
I hope you don't really believe this. Having been involved with dog training including working with some police departments and Schutzhund training, I can't support your position here. There are dogs out there that believe they are alpha over all others (human or not) and will take anything other than submission as a challenge to be met head on. Additionally, there are a growing number of people who are purposefully training their dogs to serve as weapons. Are most dogs like this? Thankfully, no. But there are enough of them to give rise to legitimate concern. Over 4 million people in the US are bitten each year. One out of very six bites are serious enough to require medical attention. In 2007, 33 people lost their lives to dog attacks. While I love dogs, and think they enhance my quality of life, I'm under no illusion that they are all cute little puppies being playful.
Old 04-13-11, 01:40 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
You're making a huge stretch there.
My example may be a stretch, so I'll just make my point without one. There are dogs in the world. You are going to interact with them, whether you want to or not. The more you understand their behavior, the more enjoyable that interaction will be. This is true even when your desired interaction is "none", since understanding their behavior will increase the likelihood that you can avoid interaction.
Old 04-13-11, 01:57 PM
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I hope you don't really believe this. Having been involved with dog training including working with some police departments and Schutzhund training, I can't support your position here. There are dogs out there that believe they are alpha over all others (human or not) and will take anything other than submission as a challenge to be met head on. Additionally, there are a growing number of people who are purposefully training their dogs to serve as weapons. Are most dogs like this? Thankfully, no. But there are enough of them to give rise to legitimate concern. Over 4 million people in the US are bitten each year. One out of very six bites are serious enough to require medical attention. In 2007, 33 people lost their lives to dog attacks. While I love dogs, and think they enhance my quality of life, I'm under no illusion that they are all cute little puppies being playful.
I believe that 95+% of dogs on a MUP, leashed, with an owner that cares enough to get them out on walks, is friendly and only excited to see other people. It's easy for me to discern nervousness/aggression/etc from playfulness/friendliness and I think in all my life and time spent raising, breeding, and training dogs, I've only encountered a small handful of dangerous ones - and they weren't the type that would be out on a walk with their owners on a MUP.
Old 04-13-11, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
It does get a bit overboard, that IF you don't like dogs, (which I don't), your somehow a really horrible person! I'd prefer that OWNERS keep their dogs away from ME, I've got no use to be either LICKED or BIT so just keep them "under control" at ALL TIMES and there won't be any reason for a problem, it's that simple!, (JMHO, YMMV). I've seen MANY unleased dogs on our MUPS, and quite a few "leashed" one's that the owners can't seem to control, unless they damn near strangle them via the leash to keep them from trying to bite me as I pass! I just want to "enjoy" my ride and that to me, means NO interaction with dogs, thanks!

Old 04-13-11, 02:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does get a bit overboard, that IF you don't like bikes, (which I don't), your somehow a really horrible person! I'd prefer that CYCLISTS keep their bikes away from ME, I've got no use to be checking over my shoulder or jumping at the sound of a bell so just keep them "under control" at ALL TIMES and there won't be any reason for a problem, it's that simple!, (JMHO, YMMV). I've seen MANY fast bicycles on our MUPS, and quite a few "slow" one's that the owners can't seem to control, unless they damn near wrench the handlebars to keep them from hitting me as they pass! I just want to "enjoy" my walk and that to me, means NO interaction with bikes, thanks![/QUOTE]
Old 04-13-11, 03:40 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twobadfish
I believe that 95+% of dogs on a MUP, leashed, with an owner that cares enough to get them out on walks, is friendly and only excited to see other people. It's easy for me to discern nervousness/aggression/etc from playfulness/friendliness and I think in all my life and time spent raising, breeding, and training dogs, I've only encountered a small handful of dangerous ones - and they weren't the type that would be out on a walk with their owners on a MUP.
If you're the person who gets attacked by the -5% of dogs that are aggressive, then the statistics don't really mean much. I too have trained, raised, and worked with really reputable breeders. I don't think we're really on different pages when it comes to the overall characteristics of most dogs. I just think it's not in any dog owner's best interest to portray their dogs as you did with the last photo. Frankly, I get annoyed when people think they can just approach one of my dogs without asking first. The other thing I should point out is that one of the MUPs in my area goes through a stretch next to a neighborhood where numerous people have been arrested for being part of a dog fighting ring. These folks have their "fighters" out on the path as a status symbol of sorts. I can never blame someone for being fearful of dogs; I can, however, get quickly upset with owners who don't take dog ownership seriously. Just as a side note. I was once attacked by a pet parrot. The owner said she was gentle and let her fly around the house. After I needed four stitches in my right ear from her "playfulness", my lawyer convinced the owner that maybe flying around when company was in the house, was not the best idea. I offer this side note just as an example that many owners don't really know their pets all that well.
Old 04-13-11, 04:06 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
Frankly, I get annoyed when people think they can just approach one of my dogs without asking first.
+1

And I always say "Sure, but why don't you just let him come up to you?" That takes the potential threat of the person's approach out of the picture for the dog. Not a concern with my dog, but it teaches whomever it is, most often a child, how they should handle meeting a dog they don't know.

I understand and agree that any dog out in public should not constitute a threat. People should be able to safely go about their activities. I also understand how some people increase the likelihood they will have a problem, and that, when dogs aren't ever allowed to be off-leash, it becomes really hard to socialize them, and to train them to handle those situations when they are unrestrained (for whatever reason) and encounter people. Bikes are rare and scary for many dogs, and almost all attacks stem from fear.
Old 04-13-11, 04:14 PM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
People and their dogs...

Honestly, i have only seen a handful of really well behaved dogs, even my own dogs weren't trained enough to run leash-free on the path

Last week i was lunged at by a mastif or some 100lb+ dog on the trail and i shook my head at the lady. Usual excuses about how it's a nice dog that wants to say hello... sure, i bet, but it's a 100lb dog lunging at me and the difference between a nice dog wanting to say hello and one wanting to attack is ****ing nothing at that point when you're on the receiving end. What a **** she was, honestly the ensuing conversation was so passive aggressive due to her embarrassment. Let's hope some kid doesn't get it next. Ticking time bomb.

A report by the U.S.-based Insurance Information Institute shows close to one-third of liability claims paid in 2009 were for dog bites.
Old 04-13-11, 04:39 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lenny,

After reading all these replies I'll have to say your just an old troll

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.