Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Older components-obsolete?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Older components-obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 06:42 AM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I loved the Shimano fingertip shifters.
Old 04-30-11, 08:17 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sometimes the manufactures will make a mistake (wireless shifters) but for the most part the stuff is just getting better.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the wireless? Shifts flawlessly. Only problem is price, but that is coming down as Ultegra is going wireless. The front derailleur trim is awesome!
Old 04-30-11, 09:51 AM
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to keep the moving parts on my 1985 Mixte as up to date with as "revolutionary" parts as is posible... Because, after all it's good when parts on a bicycle revolve.
Old 04-30-11, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
The capacity on the Vx Gt is the same and it is a much lighter derailleur.
"The VxGT is a much lighter derailleur"?

I always thought that one of it's touring benefits was that it could double as a mallet for pounding tent stakes.
Old 04-30-11, 10:59 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I always thought that one of it's touring benefits was that it could double as a mallet for pounding tent stakes.
That makes it even better!
Old 04-30-11, 02:51 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

The VX S mid cage) weighs 211 grams and the VX GT only weighs a few grams more than this as the cage is only slightly longer... you may be thinking of the V Luxe Gt which weighs a whopping 256 grams.

Nicest thing about the VX is that it is not much heavier than a Cyclone and way tougher and if we compare the VX to the Mk2 Cycline, way prettier to boot.
Old 04-30-11, 10:32 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
I love my 41-year-old Masi that's equipped exactly as a 4-decades old road racer, but when I want to go long and hard give me a carbon frame that absorbs the bumps better, 10-speed cassettes that let me climb canyons without losing mid-range flexibility, STI levers that let me use 10-speed cassettes (and shift in the middle of corners, turns, and dicey descents), rims with machined sidewalls that respond consistently to braking, flat-top round-drop compact handlebars that give me better climbing positions, a lightweight well ventilated hardshell helmet that protects my head and is more comfortable than a hairnet, my favorite Fizik saddle that just feels good between my thighs, stiff carbon soled shoes and heat molded insoles that cradle my delicate feet, clip-in pedals that hold my feet better, and are more comfortable, than toeclips with slotted cleats while wearing ill-fitting Italian shoes that you had to ride wet and sockless for the first 400 miles just so they'd stop being excruciatingly painful.

Naw, new technology is all crap.
Old 05-01-11, 01:15 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My 30 year old custom built Davidson is still going strong. I'm still using the original Campy NR shifters and rear derailleur, although I had to replace the matching front 2 years ago as the mount had cracked. With that campy NR setup I'm using a 10 speed Shimano wheel and it shifts flawlessly. I recently replaced the original Modolo Speedy brakes and levers with inexpensive Tektro ones, and the Tektro are MUCH better. The crank is a Chorus 10sp, except the bottom bracket is the original Zeus square taper. When I tried to use the Chorus BB, I couldn't get the old fixed cup off. I repacked the old BB and felt how smooth it still is and left it. Saddle is a new Performance store brand racing saddle, the seat post is carbon fiber. Wheels are Velomax from before the buyout by Easton. Bars and stem are original. Bottom line is that most of the important parts are new, but some are old. I'd have to say the modern parts are mostly better.
Old 05-01-11, 01:27 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The SRAM X5 weighs 299 grams but does have a steel cage which could be of benefit for a long cage mtb derailleur as if you bang it up you can straighten it... you could probably use this to tap in tent pegs.

On a touring bike that extra 80 grams is nothing and I went on a 100 km shakedown ride yesterday and was really quite pleased with how exceptional the shifting was over a 13-30 7 speed which is well below it's rated capacity... and SRAM makes a very nice derailleur at pretty much every price point and has pretty much become the dominanat player in this market.

Still love my Vx and Cyclones... if it was not for the needs of a rather custom setup would not have required the modern SRAM.
Old 05-01-11, 02:04 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
The older stuff is actually better, if durability is important to you. Look at how often people have to change out drivetrain components on newer bikes. Some of the reason for that is because in order to make 10 speeds on the back cog work, everything has to be a little thinner. Less material = less durable. The older stuff isn't as light but it lasts longer.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-01-11, 07:14 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Still love my Vx and Cyclones... if it was not for the needs of a rather custom setup would not have required the modern SRAM.
I love the Cyclone on my Trek 460. Makes a sweet ***Ka-Chunk*** noise. Very smooth for an oldschool piece.
Old 05-01-11, 07:42 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
The older stuff is actually better, if durability is important to you. Look at how often people have to change out drivetrain components on newer bikes. Some of the reason for that is because in order to make 10 speeds on the back cog work, everything has to be a little thinner. Less material = less durable. The older stuff isn't as light but it lasts longer.
More complex is less durable, too. For example, STI levers compared to simple brake levers and downtube shifters (even ratcheting). And for durability and performance, 40 year-old Campagnolo Record hubs, headsets, pedals, and bottom brackets (loose balls) are pretty awesome.
Old 05-01-11, 10:38 PM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Hubs on my Paramount PDG are 20 years old.
The rims were just replaced (oems were araya 6000)
I still ride with the downtube shift setup on the paramount(the real fun comes when I switch bikes thruout the week and have mental breakdowns on brifters or downtubes when it comes time to shift)
I had to replace the shift levers (after 30K of shifting over 20 years)
I still have a SH24 sealed bearing jis taper BB in the bike and it spins 500% more freely than the &&**8 FSA Mega Exo in the 08 Motobecane IF and has afforded me far less headache in adjustment and repair.
Do I like the narrow spaced 10 cog setup on the Moto (over the 7 cog setup on the Paramount)? UBETCHA!
Would I Love to be able to install a Sq. Taper SH54BB with one of those Sugino Super Compact Cranksets (or the Velo Orange one)on the CF MOtO?? UBETCHA!!
There's been some fantastic new improvements to come out (ask anyone who discovered a 42 or 44cm wide bar after decades of 38cm) but for every really good idea there's been 10 "hey Look At This" POCs that turned good rides into unmemorable ones.
Old 05-01-11, 11:02 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I love the Cyclone on my Trek 460. Makes a sweet ***Ka-Chunk*** noise. Very smooth for an oldschool piece.
You should tune that up...

A cyclone should not go "ka-chunk".
Old 05-02-11, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Remember Bontrager's maxim:

Light, strong, cheap. Pick any two.

The thing is, it's getting very close these days where you can pick all three and be happy.
Old 05-02-11, 01:06 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Rowan
Remember Bontrager's maxim:

Light, strong, cheap. Pick any two.

The thing is, it's getting very close these days where you can pick all three and be happy.
Older Suntour stuff was light, strong, and relatively cheap compared to Campagnolo and shifted far better.

After nearly 200 km I am pretty happy with the new SRAM on my pocket tourer... shifting is excellent and I really like the cable routing.

Old 05-03-11, 10:10 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
You should tune that up...

A cyclone should not go "ka-chunk".
I'm not the greatest impressionist.
Old 05-03-11, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
I was talking to a worker in a bikestore and he pretty much said that so much progress has been made in components in the last 20 years that old ones are almost obsolete at least in comparison to new ones of today.I was specifically asking about rims as I saw what I thought might be a good deal on old, circa 1985, Mavic rims.Do, people agree?For example how would a 1985 Shimano 600 groupset compare to say a Sora or tiagra modern groupset?Hey, my 1989 Trek Shimano Exage groupset is pretty dandy in my eyes!
"Obsolete" means buy my new product. Certainly newer products have to improve or why would they be paying the designers and engineers all that money for?

Now if ai were a "true" racer with any hopes of winning races on a regualr basis I could see the benefit in newer products. But the reality is I just love to ride. My 84 Schwinn Super Le Tour which is original is lots of fun to ride, it meets a need.

I loved my 2004 C"dale R2000 double, that when I gave it to my son and went out looking for a new bike, CF, AL I set my priorities to start with the wheel set (Ksyrium SL). I ended up buying a non-riden (new) 2004 C"dale R2000 triple.

It rides great and I love the wheels!!!

Now, I bet there is a difference between 2004 and 2011 Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels but I bet I might have a bit of difficulty telling the difference. How much can you really improve upon ausome wheels?
Old 05-03-11, 08:40 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Since my obsolete bikes (see signature) suit my needs perfectly, I have no desire to throw my hard-earned money at new equipment. Likewise, my wife and I want to keep our 2001 VW Passat wagon running as long as I reasonably can, because it is the perfect size and form factor for our needs.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-05-11, 09:28 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a GT Xizang mtn. bike I bought new in 1995, when I was in my 40s. I'm now age 64 and my body has been changing. So has my riding style and interests. So, I've been upgrading some old Shimano XTR components with new Shimano XTR components. Also, new Brooks saddle, carbon riser bars, custom titanium rear rack, etc.

In my case, time and changes within my own body have caused me to make some changes to my cherished bike. And that makes me happy.