Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I could feel the difference

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-04-11, 06:12 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Back last fall the bike shop put a new bearing in my rear wheel, at the end of a century a bearing started to growl, it seemed to spin OK but I believe I felt the bike took a little more effort to drive it. After the replacement the growl was gone but again, the bike felt like it took a little more effort to make it go. The wheel spun OK but not as well as before, I felt this must be that the seal had to wear in.

This spring the bike just didn't seem as fast, I thought it was my lack of spring conditioning but when I rode my other bike I knew it still was not right. So I took the wheel off and held the axials in my fingers and spun the wheel. I could feel the drag and the wheel catching in a few spots. Back to the shop for another new bearing. $20 later and the wheel spins just like it use to. Can't wait to ride it tomorrow morning. I will know quickly whether it's back to original condition.
Old 05-04-11, 06:30 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bearings over time increase their resistance, especially the sealed bearings that are so common these days. It happens slowly so we don't notice the added friction until they start making noise. We should probably replace them at some mileage interval before they can get to the point of no return. I'm surprised you didn't pony up for ceramics. lol
Old 05-05-11, 03:40 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I'm surprised you didn't pony up for ceramics. lol
My thoughts too after he replaced his BB with them.
Old 05-05-11, 03:50 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Different bike, this was the simoncini, if it was the Tarmac I would have. The cost of ceramic bearings for the rear hub are not nearly as bad as for the BB. Infact I am thinkink of building up a new light weight rear wheel for the Tarmac with my climbing cassette and ceramic bearings.
Old 05-05-11, 06:20 AM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be sure to post the results of the ceramic bearings. You have the bug, so it will happen. There is no need to fight a bug like this, just go ahead and order the ceramic bearings so you can sleep well again.
Old 05-05-11, 06:47 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Was it a bad bearing or a bad installation/adjustment? Whichever, I'm glad you got it fixed.
Old 05-05-11, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Different bike, this was the simoncini, if it was the Tarmac I would have. The cost of ceramic bearings for the rear hub are not nearly as bad as for the BB. Infact I am thinkink of building up a new light weight rear wheel for the Tarmac with my climbing cassette and ceramic bearings.
I was at my LBS the other day and they had a display with a crank set-up one with regular bearings and one with ceramic bearing. You spin both and the difference is amazing.
Made me wonder about changing.

We are waiting the long term report.
Old 05-05-11, 09:43 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
They should add a crank with a good quality square taper BB to that display. The results might surprise you.
Old 05-05-11, 11:08 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
They should add a crank with a good quality square taper BB to that display. The results might surprise you.
True, some of those BB were really smooth. However, the crank over time would tend to ream out and develop slop. So they went to the octalink BB which was still pretty smooth. IDK why there is so much friction in the current stock external bearings but it is quite noticeable. Whether it has a real effect on power to the wheel is up for debate though the ceramic BB I have seen have much less friction.