Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   31 miles on Road Easier than 20 Miles on Trainer (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/732924-31-miles-road-easier-than-20-miles-trainer.html)

Sculptor7 05-05-11 01:03 PM

31 miles on Road Easier than 20 Miles on Trainer

Yesterday (because of weather) I did 20 miles on my bike trainer in the basement and thought the time would never end. Today, despite a slight sprinkle, I enjoyed 31.5 miles on the road. What a difference the real world makes! Trees just beginning to bud, gulls wheeling overhead, the damp, sweet smell of the fields; a short stop by the ocean to nibble on a Snickers and then the deep satisfaction that always comes with being part of the universe...and feeling healthy and relaxed.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/DSC00397.jpg
I see this post went in twice even though it did not appear to have gone through the first time. Anybody know how I can delete the first one?

bigbadwullf 05-05-11 01:06 PM

Trainers suck......

Agave 05-05-11 01:29 PM

I love trainers.

[go into 'edit' your post and click delete]

Mr. Beanz 05-05-11 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf (Post 12600645)
Trainers suck......

They are actually fun if you use them as "trainers". :thumb:

Sitting on a trainer using it to rack up miles is what sucks! ;)

Sculptor7 05-05-11 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Agave (Post 12600765)
I love trainers.

[go into 'edit' your post and click delete]

That's where I have been having a problem. When I go into edit there does not seem to be a place to delete.

work4bike 05-05-11 03:54 PM

Ride into a 30 mph headwind and see how much fun the real world is.

JTGraphics 05-05-11 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 12600768)

^ Truth :) I like to use CTS videos when on trainer.

dendawg 05-05-11 05:44 PM

Let me know if there is a trainer that will let me hit 36 mph on a long descent.

billydonn 05-06-11 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 12600768)

^^^^ correct ^^^^^^^
Doing trainer work with a group of friends makes it even better.

Sculptor7 05-06-11 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by john gault (Post 12601417)
Ride into a 30 mph headwind and see how much fun the real world is.

Can't argue with that. Still, I think those who live in warmer climates probably spend more time outdoors so feel no need to count time on trainers as miles in their annual total mileage. The effort, sweat and dedication to keeping fit are real even if the miles are not.

work4bike 05-06-11 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sculptor7 (Post 12603775)
Can't argue with that. Still, I think those who live in warmer climates probably spend more time outdoors so feel no need to count time on trainers as miles in their annual total mileage. The effort, sweat and dedication to keeping fit are real even if the miles are not.

True. I don't even have a trainer and when at the gym I stay away from the bikes, because I spend enough time on a bike, since it is my primary form of transportation.:thumb:

Frosty861 05-06-11 02:19 PM

Two things...

With the trainer in the bed of the pickup, you can flat haul!

Second, Richmond Island?

Lee

mymojo 05-06-11 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sculptor7 (Post 12603775)
Still, I think those who live in warmer climates probably spend more time outdoors so feel no need to count time on trainers as miles in their annual total mileage.

whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a second. You mean the miles on a trainer count********** Well, son of a b..........

Sculptor7 05-06-11 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Frosty861 (Post 12605856)
Two things...

With the trainer in the bed of the pickup, you can flat haul!

Second, Richmond Island?

Lee

Yes it is.

NOS88 05-06-11 04:05 PM

You folks who love trainers, have you checked to see what's in the water you're drinking that's making you delusional? :)

I'll take a ride outside in the snow and cold before a ride on a trainer. Part of cycling for me is being outside and seeing the world go by as I pedal on. If I have to exercise inside, that's when I do more cross training (tread mill and weights) and spend as little time on the bike trainer as possible.

I don't know I kind of see it as similar to going to an indoor video golf driving range. Is the technology neat? Yes. Is it as good as playing on a real course? Ah, no, I don't think so.