Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Geezer Qualifications

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Geezer Qualifications

Old 05-14-11, 05:24 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban (35 years old, the bikes not us), 2 Trek 7000, T900 (Tandem), 2 EZ Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geezer Qualifications

In a thread recently someone mentioned "the Geezer Group" on a ride. My question is: What are the qualificatios for membership in the Geezer Group? This was the dinner conservation tonight: Is it age, speed, or attitude related or something else? Do we have any on this forum?
Old 05-14-11, 05:40 PM
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ncbikers
In a thread recently someone mentioned "the Geezer Group" on a ride. My question is: What are the qualificatios for membership in the Geezer Group? This was the dinner conservation tonight: Is it age, speed, or attitude related or something else? Do we have any on this forum?
Well, the definition doesn't really shed much light on it... By, this definition I am a "Geezer".

gee·zer
gee·zer [gzər]
(plural gee·zers)
n
older man: a man past middle age (sometimes considered offensive)

[Late 19th century. Representing a dialect pronunciation of guiser (from guise ), literally “somebody in disguise,” later used to denote an odd-looking person.]
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I don't think I look like a "Geezer" (whatever they are supposed to look like), but I have been called a "Geezer" by friends and family, but mostly in an endearing kind of way. So, I guess I would be proud to be considered a "Geezer", I've got no problems with that. I don't belong to any group though.
Old 05-14-11, 06:37 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I hate any categorical term, which lumps folks together on one criterion. "Geezer" says that by , in essence, stating that one's age (or whatever the similarity is) is the defining characteristic of one's being, much like a whole bunch of other words used to categorize members of our society.

Besides age, I may have very little in common with other folks 71+ (or whatever age is supposed to start so-called "geezer-hood"). Why should I be lumped in with them simply because of age?

I much prefer to state the obvious, if it is any way necessary - the obvious being - a group of individuals in their 70's went for a bicycle ride. However, I would prefer as little reference to age (or any othe singular identifying characteristic) as possible.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-14-11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-14-11, 06:42 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm not a geezer but I do have an "Old Fart Cycling Team" jersey.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-14-11, 07:00 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Geezer. Its just a word. To me it just denotes old farts. Now to define old is another question.
Old 05-14-11, 07:22 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Middle adulthood is defined as 45 through 65 years. I'm still a young fart of 61. Not everyone over 65 is a geezer, but you must be at least 65 to be one.
Old 05-14-11, 07:54 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I have too much pride to join any group that has standards so low they'll accept people like me.
Old 05-14-11, 09:59 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I know I'm a geezer because my wife tells me daily that I am. It's just a silly word. To be offended by it is to make it more powerful than the silly, meaningless word it would otherwise be.
Old 05-14-11, 10:49 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bionicycle
older man: a man past middle age (sometimes considered offensive)

I know of several older men amd women that are offensive too.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-14-11, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I hate any categorical term, which lumps folks together on one criterion. "Geezer" says that by , in essence, stating that one's age (or whatever the similarity is) is the defining characteristic of one's being, much like a whole bunch of other words used to categorize members of our society.

Besides age, I may have very little in common with other folks 71+ (or whatever age is supposed to start so-called "geezer-hood"). Why should I be lumped in with them simply because of age?

I much prefer to state the obvious, if it is any way necessary - the obvious being - a group of individuals in their 70's went for a bicycle ride. However, I would prefer as little reference to age (or any othe singular identifying characteristic) as possible.
I agree with you on this. There are the Gen-Xs, the Gen-Ys, the babyboomers, and the ********** It's demographic claptrap that is used by marketers to influence the various groups to do the things they want, because they believe that innately, people want to belong to a group. In other words, it makes marketing manipulation much easier.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I have too much pride to join any group that has standards so low they'll accept people like me.
Having said that above... if I was going to be a groupie, yours would be it.
Old 05-15-11, 07:33 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
It's demographic claptrap that is used by marketers to influence the various groups to do the things they want, because they believe that innately, people want to belong to a group. In other words, it makes marketing manipulation much easier.
Yeah, boy. I'm so tired of those awful marketers trying to manipulate me by calling me a geezer. That whole " hey geezer, buy this" marketing campaign was especially insulting!

Welcome to the United States of the Offended.
Old 05-15-11, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I know I'm a geezer because my wife tells me daily that I am. It's just a silly word. To be offended by it is to make it more powerful than the silly, meaningless word it would otherwise be.
BD, I would suggest that the offensive qualities of the word depend a great deal on who is using it and why they are using it.
Old 05-15-11, 10:26 AM

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm - I would say an old geezer is anyone in the age group that belonged to the "don't trust anyone over 30" generation. Once we hit 30 x 2 we become old geezers and DON'T TRUST US.
Old 05-15-11, 10:38 AM
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone older than me.
Old 05-15-11, 02:08 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I feel I'm a geezer because:

-I can walk around Best Buy, and the 20-something employees in the blue shirts leave me alone. I think the supervisory employees where black shirts. They leave me alone as well. That's fine by me.

-I get caught "looking", and I don't care.

-I can't really explain it, but a lot of this "new fangled stuff", such as bike frames made from alien spaceship material, just doesn't appeal to me at all. And who is coming up with these color schemes?
Old 05-15-11, 06:45 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Am not a geezer; am only 78!