Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Ruby Ride - Franklin, NC (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/736084-ruby-ride-franklin-nc.html)

BikeWNC 05-17-11 12:24 PM

Ruby Ride - Franklin, NC

Just a heads up for another of our local organized rides. This one is out of Franklin, NC called the Ruby Ride. The metric, which NealH and I will ride, rolls around the Little Tennessee River valley and skirts along the some of the bigger climbs but never heading over them. It is a beautiful route through pastures and woods with river and mountain views. While not an easy ride, there are no long sustained climbs, but expect constant short efforts over semi-steep grades. I can't remember the total elevation gain for the metric but I think it is close to 5000'.

The weather is forecast to be near perfect again for the event with sunny temps ranging from the 50s in the morning to the mid 80s late in the day. The ride starts at 9am so if you are within a reasonable drive and looking for a great ride to stretch the legs and see new terrain, come on up!

One more thing. The route is a rough figure eight so if after 30 miles you feel like you've had enough it is possible to call it a day and head to lunch. It's a nice option to have though with the expected weather I doubt many will take the shortcut.

stapfam 05-17-11 02:21 PM

This time of the year and I would love a ride like that. Not certain on my fitness so an easy shortcut would be great. Hope you enjoy the ride and don't forget to take pics.

jppe 05-17-11 02:50 PM

I'm leaning towards coming up and doing the 100. There are some nice roads and scenery on that route. I already have a hotel room but forgot to register online for the ride before the price increase.

I'm supposed to be back at the Speedway in Charlotte to host some customers for the race that evening. Ugh. I might just start a bit early to get a jump on the time-seemed more like a show and go the last time I did it. Will be a long day!

BikeWNC 05-17-11 03:13 PM

The climbs over Standing Indian and Wayah especially will be good training. We're riding the metric Sat. and planning on another metric up the BRP from town on Sunday morning. Push the short climbs on the metric Ruby route and then deal with the long 4600' climb from town on Sunday. That's the plan anyway. Hopefully that will simulate the fatigue of a mountain century without having to spend a long day on the bike. My daughter has a gymnastics show I need to attend both afternoons.

cyclinfool 05-17-11 04:38 PM

Have fun guys, if I still lived in the south I would consider joining you.

BikeWNC 05-17-11 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 12656318)
Have fun guys, if I still lived in the south I would consider joining you.

What? You're not up for a 15 hour drive? lol