Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I love my "Take a Look" mirror!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I love my "Take a Look" mirror!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 06:47 PM

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
That's what I use. Love them.
Can you adjust the Italian mirror on the fly? When you move from the hoods to the drops is the image still "good"?
Old 05-31-11, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by springs
Can you adjust the Italian mirror on the fly? When you move from the hoods to the drops is the image still "good"?
In a minor way yes although that is not the intent. Set them up before you wrap the bars then only minor adjustments are done afterwards. They are slightly convex and glass so the field of vision is actually quite large with a very clear image.
Old 05-31-11, 09:08 PM

Bikes: 08 Orbea Orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm another Italian road bike mirror fan --- although they aren't highly adjustable, they provide a fantastically clear image from all riding positions.
Old 05-31-11, 09:13 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Sometimes you have to move your head around a bit to see one side or the other, but that's what you have to do with a helmet mirror too.

J.
Old 06-01-11, 02:02 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by nmbikeboy
I'm another Italian road bike mirror fan --- although they aren't highly adjustable, they provide a fantastically clear image from all riding positions.
Nice quality/image 'cause the mirror is glass.
Old 07-14-11, 05:21 PM

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaRed
This thread need pictures...

I was unhappy with the design and size of the TAL, so I made my own eyeglass-mount mirror. Image posted here for you to pattern or follow my signature link.
Old 07-14-11, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I always suspected that helmet/eyeglass mounted mirrors might create a blind spot in front, but discounted it as highly unlikely. Besides, most of us have two eyes, so even if something is blocked from view to one eye the other should pick it up. However, I recently had someone nearly ride right into me because I was blocked from his view by his mirror. He corrected course in response to my shouting just before I had to ride off into the ditch. I guess using a mirror takes a bit of practice for some folks.
Old 07-14-11, 07:33 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I always suspected that helmet/eyeglass mounted mirrors might create a blind spot in front, but discounted it as highly unlikely. Besides, most of us have two eyes, so even if something is blocked from view to one eye the other should pick it up. However, I recently had someone nearly ride right into me because I was blocked from his view by his mirror. He corrected course in response to my shouting just before I had to ride off into the ditch. I guess using a mirror takes a bit of practice for some folks.
Evidently not everyone is up to visual multi-tasking.
Old 07-14-11, 08:51 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Safety Zone helmet bicycling mirror about a month ago. It has proven so helpful that I've decided I will never ride on a road again without a mirror. See a photo of this mirror on Amazon.com at https://tinyurl.com/6jozdqv . It is pricey, but worth it. It is much larger than many mirrors of this type, and it has a glass surface which privides an outstanding image.
Old 07-15-11, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I'm looking behind me, then I'm not looking in front of me....
Old 07-15-11, 01:49 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Some like them - I prefer the Italian road bike mirror
+1
Old 07-15-11, 04:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only way I feel really safe.

Old 07-15-11, 05:48 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colorado dale
look for chuck harris mirrors chuck makes all mirror by hand he pedals to grind them
he's in his 80's how long he will continue is the only question
i'm still using the one i bought from him in the late 80's /early 90's featuring the elroy sparta tunnel

he's not on web as far as i know
Chuck Harris
Ultra-light Touring Shop
P.O. Box 363
Gambier, OH 43022
740-427-3404
I have one of his mirrors and love it

He was at GOBA this year and had a different vehicle for hauling his wares. I miss his little Bug he previously drove.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-15-11, 04:07 PM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez 56cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I like the idea of mirrors since we ride on the road, and your supposed to ride with traffic. Is the helmet/eyeglass mirror, (Take a look) better than a bicycle mirror? If your handlebars are jiggling from road bumps, ect,, would a handlebar mirror be harder to see with? Also couldn't you move your head slightly to widen the view behind you with the others? Just trying to get opinions is all...

Thanks
Old 07-15-11, 04:44 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got my Take a look mirror strapped on to my helmet and it works great. When I first got into cycling about 3 months ago I started with one of those mirrors that mounts onto the handle bars. Vision was very limited and I found myself getting surprised quite often by passing vehicles. With the Take a look I can get a panoramic view by turning my head slightly. No surprises when I have this mirror in play.
Old 07-15-11, 08:32 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I tried both eye glass and helmet mount mirrors and just couldn't get them adjusted to where I could see clearly with my bifocals. I have a road bike mirror that mounts under my STI shifter hood. Not exactly a fashion statement for road bikes, but it does the job.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-15-11, 11:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeideas

I was unhappy with the design and size of the TAL, so I made my own eyeglass-mount mirror. Image posted here for you to pattern or follow my signature link.
I have one of these, and I have to say I'm impressed by how well it works. Much easier to install than the Take A Look.
Old 07-16-11, 02:16 AM

Bikes: Giant FCR2, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banded Krait
I bought the Safety Zone helmet bicycling mirror about a month ago. It has proven so helpful that I've decided I will never ride on a road again without a mirror. See a photo of this mirror on Amazon.com at https://tinyurl.com/6jozdqv . It is pricey, but worth it. It is much larger than many mirrors of this type, and it has a glass surface which privides an outstanding image.
I have TAL now, but my coworker has one of these Safety Zone's and just looking at it is enough to sell me,
its WAY beefier looking and more easily adjustable. As you say, may cost a bit more but at my next upgrade
point I'm switching. I'd advise anyone just about to get a helmet-mount mirror to look carefully at this.
Old 07-16-11, 07:08 AM

You've got to be kidding! That thing is enormous.

J.
Old 07-16-11, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gbiker
My TAL mirror is alright. I mount it to my sunglasses but I still have to cock my head up and to the left a bit to see traffic behind. I might try one of those handlebar end mirrors.
This is an adjustment issue, the mirror itself can be tilted on the arm, there is another advantage to these mirrors though, by moving your head slightly you can change the view, without taking a hand off the bars. I have the helmet mounted version, although I regularly ride two different bikes, I use the same helmet, so I use one mirror, which is on the left, if I need to see directly behind, I turn my head slightly (there she is ). The problem with glasses mounted is that you will either forget to attach the mirror, or forget to take it off, and look stupid in public .
Old 07-16-11, 12:15 PM

Bikes: Giant FCR2, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
This is an adjustment issue, the mirror itself can be tilted on the arm, there is another advantage to these mirrors though, by moving your head slightly you can change the view, without taking a hand off the bars. I have the helmet mounted version, although I regularly ride two different bikes, I use the same helmet, so I use one mirror, which is on the left, if I need to see directly behind, I turn my head slightly (there she is ). The problem with glasses mounted is that you will either forget to attach the mirror, or forget to take it off, and look stupid in public .
When I first bought the TAL I tried mounting them on a pair of sunglasses I had, but there's a problem I had you
didn't mention... they slip down my nose when I get hot and that throws off the view I finally decided to mount
them on the helmet and that has been working better.
Old 07-16-11, 03:12 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
I have the take a look mirror, just now getting use to it. Finding if I turn my head a bit I can see a good view behind me. I think my problem is I want to st it up like the rear view mirror in the car.
BillMc
Old 07-16-11, 04:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Sprintech handlebar mirror, as the take-a-look won't fit on my sunglasses. Started using the Sprintech about three weeks ago, after returning from a multi-day tour and realizing how much I needed a mirror. The Sprintech rocks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sprintech mirror.jpg (2.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-16-11, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jfvogel
I have TAL now, but my coworker has one of these Safety Zone's and just looking at it is enough to sell me,
its WAY beefier looking and more easily adjustable. As you say, may cost a bit more but at my next upgrade
point I'm switching. I'd advise anyone just about to get a helmet-mount mirror to look carefully at this.
I've been using this exceedingly unattractive mirror for about three months now. I feel like part of the Borg collective. But it is a fabulous mirror, especially for those of us riding with bifocals. There is plenty of mirror real estate to always have a good look. It adjust easily even when you are riding. Money well spent.
Old 07-26-11, 07:38 PM

I decided to take another look (pun intended) at helmet mirrors again. Not so much for my road riding, but for when I'm commuting in the city. I'd tried the TAL but didn't like it so much.

Then I came on this:

https://www.hubbubcustom.com/store/pr...sp?prod=helmir

The hubbub mirror. I like it a lot better than the TAL mirror.

The question I have is that when I helmet mount a mirror I seem to get a fair bit of shake. Is this the experience of others?

J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.