Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A published rant against PIE (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/741368-published-rant-against-pie.html)

BengeBoy 06-06-11 01:39 PM

A published rant against PIE

Thought some of you would enjoy reading this -- Slate Magazine has published a long, detailed rant dedicated to destroying the reputation of pie as un-healthy, un-modern, inauthentic and un-American:

http://www.slate.com/id/2296054/pagenum/all/#p2

The comments are great -- the first one reads, "geez, did a pie kill your parents?"

himespau 06-06-11 01:49 PM

Read the article a few days ago but didn't go into the comments. I get where the dude's coming from about how there are some bad pies out there, crusts can be a challenge, and going a la mode, especially in an outdoor setting, can result in a soggy gooey mess, but the article was funny how over the top it was.

ctyler 06-06-11 01:49 PM

This can't be a serious article. Probably written to get a reaction. What a ******.

RonH 06-06-11 02:04 PM

It's un-American to rant against pie. After all, what does every good BBQ place serve for dessert? Pie!!

stapfam 06-06-11 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=205083

Have to agree with part of the article.

Originally the crust of a pie was only there to preserve the contents. It was made as a Hard dough crust to protect the contents from contamination and was discarded before eating.

How things have changed.

himespau 06-06-11 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 12748621)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=205083

Have to agree with part of the article.

Originally the crust of a pie was only there to preserve the contents. It was made as a Hard dough crust to protect the contents from contamination and was discarded before eating.

How things have changed.

That bit made me really hungry for pasties. Oh house I miss a good pasty with gravy.

NOS88 06-06-11 03:50 PM

Nathan Heller must be a Communist. ;)

On a serious note, I am so sick of the "un-American" phrase that I could just punch the next person who says it and is close enough for me to reach them. The fact of the matter is that given our diversity, there is very little that is un-American.

cyclinfool 06-06-11 06:06 PM

Just leaves more for me!

OldsCOOL 06-06-11 06:08 PM

I think his entire pie experience is wrapped in cow pies.

Phil_gretz 06-07-11 06:27 AM

Anti-American

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12749028)
Nathan Heller must be a Communist. ;)

On a serious note, I am so sick of the "un-American" phrase that I could just punch the next person who says it and is close enough for me to reach them. The fact of the matter is that given our diversity, there is very little that is un-American.

I think that the Founders could come up with a short list of "un-American" things right off the cuff: tyranny, religious oppression, a co-opted and dependent media, an uninformed and indifferent populace, public immorality, debt...

There would be little debate on these things in the late 18th century. We're no wiser today.

PG

BigBlueToe 06-07-11 07:40 AM

Next Sarah Palin will go on Fox to announce her support of pie, and to suggest that Mr. Obama prefers felafels. She'll invite Donald Trump onto the bus for a pie-eating photo op.

NOS88 06-07-11 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 12751395)
I think that the Founders could come up with a short list of "un-American" things right off the cuff: tyranny, religious oppression, a co-opted and dependent media, an uninformed and indifferent populace, public immorality, debt...

There would be little debate on these things in the late 18th century. We're no wiser today.

PG

Yes, but it would resonate more if only the Founders applied them equally to everyone, not just white males and/or property owners.

Phil_gretz 06-07-11 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12751673)
Yes, but it would resonate more if only the Founders applied them equally to everyone, not just white males and/or property owners.

Yup. It was a difficult compromise, made to birth a nation. The southern colonies never would have agreed if the original language to eliminate human slavery had made it into the Declaration. Our nation and our people have paid and continue to pay a terrible price for that compromise... I agree with you, NOS.

R_Z 06-07-11 09:15 AM

I like pie, but I love cake!

ahsposo 06-07-11 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by R_Z (Post 12752094)

Heretic!

CraigB 06-07-11 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlueToe (Post 12751661)
She'll invite Donald Trump onto the bus for a pie-eating photo op.

At least then his fork wouldn't be out of place.

Garilia 06-07-11 10:18 AM

Next Sarah Palin will go on Fox to announce her support of pie, and to suggest that Mr. Obama prefers felafels. She'll invite Donald Trump onto the bus for a pie-eating photo op.

If she invites him to eat her pie at the Y, I don't want to see those photos. I have not looked at the fork photos because I already have adequate disdain for Trump.

steve0257 06-07-11 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 12752112)
Heretic!

Ooooojh Donuts

rubic 06-07-11 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Garilia (Post 12752422)
If she invites him to eat her pie at the Y, I don't want to see those photos. I have not looked at the fork photos because I already have adequate disdain for Trump.

I see what you did there.

rubic 06-07-11 06:44 PM

"Let them eat cake!" Wasn't the Queen of France, Marie Antoinette, rumored to have said this? I'll stick with good 'ole American pie!

akohekohe 06-08-11 03:15 AM

I like felafels too ... of course I've eaten felafels and then had pie for dessert.