Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What the heck is Bobke saying? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/742253-what-heck-bobke-saying.html)

HIPCHIP 06-09-11 03:12 PM

What the heck is Bobke saying?

I keep watching the Road ID commercial with Bob Roll and he says you need a Road ID, helmet, and then something that sounds like Bazooka or Gazooka or something like that. Anybody know what the heck he is talking about? Never heard of anything that sounds familiar, so just wondering if I'm missing something?

Maybe we just be too old and da hearing ain't what it used to be or I'm a just brain fartin:D

Pamestique 06-09-11 03:14 PM

Bazooka... read one of his books, he mentions Bazooka protection frequently! Also he has a unique way of speaking or seeing things... just what makes him so charming!

HIPCHIP 06-09-11 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pamestique (Post 12764322)
Bazooka... read one of his books, he mentions Bazooka protection frequently! Also he has a unique way of speaking or seeing things... just what makes him so charming!

Do you have any idea what he is referring to? Only bazooka I know of is the weapon you use to blow up tanks and guns and houses and stuff. So is he just jokining or is there something else called a bazooka? I also know it's kind of a musical instrument, which is where the term for the gun came from.

Retro Grouch 06-09-11 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by HIPCHIP (Post 12764465)
Do you have any idea what he is referring to? Only bazooka I know of is the weapon you use to blow up tanks and guns and houses and stuff. So is he just jokining or is there something else called a bazooka? I also know it's kind of a musical instrument, which is where the term for the gun came from.

Oh dear! I'm afraid that you're taking Bob Roll way too literally.

AzTallRider 06-09-11 04:06 PM

I think that, in Bob's world, the bazooka is needed to deal with recalcitrant cars. I can relate.

HIPCHIP 06-09-11 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 12764482)
Oh dear! I'm afraid that you're taking Bob Roll way too literally.

Actually, I could see him with the weapon in one hand, and the musical instrument in the other and riding down a big steep hill yelling, "You better get out of my way!!! TOOOT TOOOT!"

dvs cycles 06-09-11 05:41 PM

This is what Bob means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka

Bob Ross 06-09-11 06:05 PM

I also know it's kind of a musical instrument, which is where the term for the gun came from.

Um... what?

HIPCHIP 06-09-11 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Ross (Post 12765118)
Um... what?

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.ne...x?mediaID=7490

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.ne...x?entryID=2186#

They called the gun a Bazooka because it looked like the musical instrument.

I was just wondering if there was something else called a Bazooka used on a bicycle that I hadn't heard of.
:)

steve0257 06-09-11 07:20 PM

Bazooka Joe bubble gum.

RonH 06-09-11 08:10 PM

Bazooka -- kinda like the handlebar mounted rocket launcher I wanted when I was bike commuting to work.

zonatandem 06-09-11 08:42 PM

Bazooka is a brand of bubble gum from back in the '50s
Most of you aren't old enough to know . . .

NVanHiker 06-09-11 09:09 PM

I'm gonna git me a bassoon and blow up this thread. On second thought, it's such a little topic I'll just use my piccolo.

Ridinmurray 06-09-11 09:13 PM

Ah,, Bazooka Joe, remember it well & I'm only 50.

Wake 06-09-11 09:45 PM

Is there a hidden reference to the baseball cards that used to come in Bazooka gum? We all used to attach them to the fork blades with clothes pins to sound like we were motorized. Gee that's a long time ago!

OldsCOOL 06-09-11 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wake (Post 12766139)
Is there a hidden reference to the baseball cards that used to come in Bazooka gum? We all used to attach them to the fork blades with clothes pins to sound like we were motorized. Gee that's a long time ago!

I think I may have used Nolan Ryan's rookie card for that. Or maybe it was Mickey Mantle.

catonec 06-09-11 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a bazooka is also a subwoofer for your car.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=205546

big chainring 06-10-11 06:01 AM

Possibility of me taking a bazooka on a ride is greater than taking a Road ID.

professorbob 06-10-11 06:24 AM

Thank you NVanHiker! So far, you seem to be the only one who knows that there is no such thing as a musical instrument called a bazooka. The musical instrument that so many people here are referring to is actually a BASSOON! No, I'm not a bassoon player, but I am a musician.

Hipchip, re Bob Roll, his reference to a bazooka is just Bobke being Bobke. The bazooka he's referring to is indeed the deadly weapon. It's to be used on people in cars who are making attempts to squash you like a bug.

big john 06-10-11 07:19 AM

Didn't you ever read "Spike Bike"?
http://linux.stevens-tech.edu/kmh/spike.bike.all.txt

HIPCHIP 06-10-11 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by professorbob (Post 12767107)
Thank you NVanHiker! So far, you seem to be the only one who knows that there is no such thing as a musical instrument called a bazooka. .

If you look at the 9th post, the 4th one I made, there are three links about the musical instrument called a "Bazooka" and the guy who invented it. The 2nd link is the photo of it, and that doesn't look like any basoon I've ever seen.

From the link"
Although today it is more commonly applied to the anti-tank weapon widely used during World War II or a product of Topps Chewing Gum, the name “bazooka” was originally given to a novelty wind instrument created by native Arkansan radio and film personality Bob Burns. Spanning the musical gap between a trombone and a slide whistle, the bazooka produces a narrow range of notes with a tone that is more comical than dulcet.
Burns developed the bazooka one evening, as early as 1905, during band practice at Hayman’s Plumbing Shop in Van Buren, Burns blew into a gas pipe that made a sound described as a “wounded moose.” Inspired by this, he developed a new instrument from two interconnecting pipes, a slide handle, a whiskey funnel, an inset trombone-like mouthpiece, and possibly other obscure internal parts. He called it a “bazooka,” a word he later copyrighted in 1920. The name was most likely formed from “bazoo,” a slang term meaning “a windy fellow.”
Like the trombone, the bazooka is played with variably tense buzzing lips blowing air into a mouthpiece and a slide moving to change the overall tube length. The slide is manipulated to produce vibrato and harmonic shifts."

I was thinking of Bazooka gum, but thought if he was talking about gum, he'd just say "Gum".

AzTallRider 06-10-11 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by HIPCHIP (Post 12768000)
If you look at the 9th post, the 4th one I made, there are three links about the musical instrument called a "Bazooka" and the guy who invented it. The 2nd link is the photo of it, and that doesn't look like any basoon I've ever seen.

I, for one, didn't make it past the first link, which took me to a wikipedia "not found" page. So I thought you were demonstrating that there indeed was NOT such a musical instrument.

Why someone would mess with the pure perfection that is the Trombone, is beyond me.

Bob's reference is to the gun, something most folks our age are very familiar with.

gmt13 06-10-11 10:25 AM

OK, so Bob said "bazooka", but what does it all mean? At least he didn't say "Sackbut"!

-G

HIPCHIP 06-10-11 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by AzTallRider (Post 12768117)
I, for one, didn't make it past the first link, which took me to a wikipedia "not found" page. So I thought you were demonstrating that there indeed was NOT such a musical instrument.

Why someone would mess with the pure perfection that is the Trombone, is beyond me.

Bob's reference is to the gun, something most folks our age are very familiar with.

I checked it when I posted and it did open up to it, don't know why it won't now. Oh well, I got rid of the first link. 2nd one is the best as it shows the crazy instrument and the crazy who made it. Obviously a cyclist who rode without a helmet one too many times!! (LOL)

Sculptor7 06-10-11 07:29 PM

For some reason Bob Rolle has annoyed me since I first came across him in a cycling magazine. Can't say why. Might be the nickname "Bobke" or perhaps the full page in Bicycling (I think that's where it was) devoted to his thoughts on the perfect bicycle and showing the top of his head (a great device for taking up space). This thread and the term "Bazooka" sort of sums it all up. Don't mean to be hostile or mean-spirited but can't help noticing that he seems to command an awful lot of respect and I am not sure why. In my ignorance I probably don't know that he has some great cycling accomplishments behind him; at least I hope that is the reason.