Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   RtR Day 4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/743649-rtr-day-4-a.html)

jppe 06-14-11 05:06 PM

RtR Day 4

230 miles down and 670 more to go!

I came back to the tent after breakfast to a light sprinkle. Great. I got to pack up a wet tent. At least it stopped before I started riding.

Today was 80 miles to Steamboat Springs. The roads were more similar to what I'm accustomed to riding back home but the view and backdrop is a lot different. We had 2 good climbs in the first 37 miles. In fact there was 4000+ ft of climbing over the first 37 miles which is a good bit.

The second climb was 7-8 miles and went on forever. Usually I check the route sheet so I'll know how to pace a climb. I checked it last night but all the routes are running together in my head so I could not remember. It was one of those climbs where you round a bend thinking you're close to the top only to see the road winding up far away with cyclists on it.

Plus we had a pretty strong headwind about all day. We were guessing a steady 15 mph but some think 20! I can't think of any positives for being a taller rider. The view is just not that much better a little higher up! But boy do you catch the wind!

The last 60 miles looked to be downhill but with the wind there wasn't any relief from pedaling.

I almost took a picture of a stop sign as I don't think we had one until Steamboat Springs!

I only stopped twice today. The pancakes were terrific as always.

I was fighting the headwind when a tandem pulling 8 riders came screaming by. I easily jumped in and my speed went up about 5mph. I was in heaven-going faster with less effort. But they pulled off within a mile at a rest stop. I should have stopped with them but pedaled on. They did catch me about 20 miles later and I tried to jump on again-but it was on a dowhill and was just too much of an effort.

Surprisingly today I had pretty good legs. I was stronger climbing and just felt good. Probably due to lower altitudes, getting more acclimated to the elevation and hopefully I'm riding myself into shape. Could have been the Mexican food for supper, too!

We'll be in Steamboat for 2 nights. Tomorrow is a 57 mile loop around Steamboat.

Shifty 06-14-11 05:28 PM

Enjoy a long soak in the hot springs, it's a very fun town. Out of town a ways (a very nice bike ride) is Strawberry hot springs, also very nice and relaxing.

Ridinmurray 06-14-11 08:13 PM

Have fun & hang in there. Sounds like nice views, post some pics.

DnvrFox 06-14-11 08:35 PM

Interesting. I rode the same route, except backward - from Steamboat to Edwards/Avon in 1998, and had a headwind the entire distance. I was hoping, based on my experience, that you would have a tailwind. No such luck!!