Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

RtR Day 6 I Own Rabbit Ears!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 03:19 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Awesome ride today! With today's 80 miles I'm now at 360 miles with 57 more to go tomorrow for the final day of RtR.

It's amazing that the body can feel so different from one day to the next. As bad as I felt yesterday I just did not know how things would go today. Today I felt fresh and had really good legs. It must have been the burger for lunch and steak for supper-plus the several gallons of fluids I consumed yesterday.

Everything went better than I could have hoped for today. I was up at 5, ate, packed and was on the road by 6:30-45 mins earlier than any previous day. Packing my bag seems to take forever but even that went smoothly.

I had earmarked today knowing it could be a tougher day. The ride had a long climb, was 80 miles and was late in the week. Feeling poorly yesterday did not do anything to help my outlook on the day either.

But the climb went just super. It was 7 miles at a constant 6-7 per cent grade. Near the top I kept thinking "I own Rabbit Ears Pass"! I must have passed 500+ riders on the climb-there are a lot of riders that must leave out way before I do every day!

It was really nice being back on my bike. It is so smooth and except for me grunting occasionally it is very quiet.

On the descent of Rabbit Ears I passed a couple guys I had ridden with the last few miles of Day 3 into Edwards. We ride very much the same pace. We had an incredible ride the last 60 miles. We would pick up other riders here and there so our small paceline would range from 3-5 people. The miles flew by as we ran 22-25 mph and passed a lot of other riders. At the last rest stop we were one of the first riders to come by. From there it was 10 miles to the end and our map showed it to be uphill. It sure didn't seem that way as we continued to ride 20+ mph. Steve and Mike were from Sedona-I knew that area pretty well from our visits out that way. They told me to bring my bike on my next visit.

I also ran into a rider named Jeremy at one of the rest stops who rides on a local race team.

I was able to take a lot of pictures while riding today-there was still a lot of snow on Rabbit Ears.

If there was any downside to today it was John and I will be doing it in reverse next week. It could be a long day with the uphill grade and climbing Rabbit Ears from the East.

Last night we had a really bad storm blow up just as I went to bed in my tent. It was lightning and the wind was blowing so hard it was blowing bikes around. I stayed in my tent hoping my weight would keep it grounded!

One more day of the first week!