Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Are You Happy with the Direction of Your Life? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/744649-you-happy-direction-your-life.html)

DnvrFox 06-18-11 07:03 AM

Are You Happy with the Direction of Your Life?

This is an anonymous, single-choice poll.

OK, we are "growing up" now, and have successfully (more or less) made it through the preteens, teens, 20's, 30's and 40's. Some have made it successfully (or not) through the 50's and/or 60's and/or 70's.

Looking back and into the future - as best as we can - are you pleased with the direction of your life at this time? Or as you see it for the future? Is the degree of happiness with the direction of your life age related? Is it bicycling related? Are those who are older more or less satisfied?

Take this very simple poll to give us a summary, then tell us more below. Please include bicycling as it relates to your overall feeling of direction.

What changes would you like to make? What changes can you make? Would/could you make those changes? Will you make those changes?

This is just for fun and perhaps some food for thought.

(note: There is a slight error in the poll question. Poll question:

"I am 70-70 and am not happy with the past and future direction of my life."

Should read

"I am 70-79 and am not happy with the past and future direction of my life."

It is not possible for me to edit poll questions once they are posted. Perhaps a mod could correct this small error?)

RonH 06-18-11 07:18 AM

Thinking this early in the day hurts my brain. I'll try to answer this later today.

John E 06-18-11 07:26 AM

At age 60, I am the luckiest SOB I know, w/ two fine young adult sons, my beautiful college sweetheart wife, a paid-for home in a great neighborhood, a successful career in high tech and graduate-level teaching, and solid financial security (thanks in large part to my Scots-Yankee frugality). Oh yeah -- I forgot to mention my excellent health, which I owe to 100k cumulative miles of road bicycling. I am certain my passions for bicycling and classical music have supported my mental and emotional health, as well. Bicycling has also contributed greatly to my social well-being. Through it I have met numerous wonderful folks online, in person, or both (e.g. Dnvr and Nora).

If I had not discovered bicycling at age 12 and an abiding passion for it by 18, I would probably now be an overweight diabetic heart attack survivor, if still around at all.

kerk 06-18-11 07:48 AM

Hip replacement in 2008 set me back a bit, but now I am back into riding most days and my wife has decided to join me on the trails! She is riding up to 30 miles a day now and we are having a great time. My 3 kids all went to college and are employed so life is good. Oh, and next week my new bike will be ready - 2011 Raleigh International. :)

NOS88 06-18-11 07:56 AM

Take out the "past" part and I'm very happy with the direction of my life. A father who was a Army drill instructor when I was growing up, and a bad marriage has made the past something I'm glad is past. Now, I've got an incredible wife, two sons I not only love, but like as people, employment that I'm good at, and my dream bike. As I look at the road ahead, I'm pleased with what I hope will come.

cyclinfool 06-18-11 08:51 AM

I am one of those folks who look back and can see things I would have liked to changed but also see just how balanced a life I have led. For example, although not an alcoholic, I wish I had not drank so much in a period of my life, I think it hurt my relationship with friends and at work for a period of 3 or 4 years until I figured out that the price for feeling giddy in the evening wasn't worth being grouchy the rest of the time (it does that to me). Although my oldest daughter is fine and we have a great relationship I wish I was as good a father to her as I am to my youngest, I raised the first one when I was still growing up myself. But all in all it's been a great ride, a successful career in which I have been able to improve the lot of mankind in some small ways. I could have made more money but would not have had as much fun.

As I am getting close to the time I count the years to retirement on one hand, in the big picture the job is great. My future is fine, working for the same company for over 30 years with a grandfathered defined benefits plan and years of investing I should not have financial issues (unless all hell breaks loose). My wife is still healthy and we still enjoy each others company. So I think the future looks pretty good for me at least. I worry about my kids - but who doesn't.

I have my choice of three nice bikes, none of which are new anymore but each of which is a great ride.

My biggest problem is that the day to day stuff seems to be less than great. I have to keep reminding myself just how good I really have it and that the grass is not any better on the other side of the fence, it's still grass, it still needs to be cut, weeded and taken care of every day.

Retro Grouch 06-18-11 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12805440)
Take out the "past" part and I'm very happy with the direction of my life. A father who was a Army drill instructor when I was growing up, and a bad marriage has made the past something I'm glad is past. Now, I've got an incredible wife, two sons I not only love, but like as people, employment that I'm good at, and my dream bike. As I look at the road ahead, I'm pleased with what I hope will come.

But consider this: All of your past experiences, both the good and the bad, were necessary to get you to where you are today. Since you like where you are today the past, while unpleasant at the time, has been good to you for the long run.

Bob Nichols 06-18-11 09:55 AM

I am happy with my life, but I'm sure all of us have things we wish we had done different, or events that have occured in our lives over which we had no control. No matter how old we live to be, life is short. Just like a race, we can't look back. 2 Peter 3:8 says a thousand years is one day to God. Since I'm 66 that means I have been here 1 hour and 35 minutes. I know that scripture is not literal, but it gives us and idea of how short life is. Make the best of it.

NOS88 06-18-11 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 12805700)
But consider this: All of your past experiences, both the good and the bad, were necessary to get you to where you are today. Since you like where you are today the past, while unpleasant at the time, has been good to you for the long run.

:eek: I don't believe that for a minute.

P51 06-18-11 12:31 PM

Pretty happy with the past, but tired of the corporate rat race. Fifteen years until retirement seems like a long time in a job I dislike. But I have decent pay and good benefits, and it beats the heck out of looking for a job, so I won't complain too much.

bjorke 06-18-11 12:42 PM

A question that sounds important but is actually, imo, a waste of time.

Retro Grouch 06-18-11 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12806134)
:eek: I don't believe that for a minute.

You don't think that you've learned anything from your past experiences?

RonH 06-18-11 12:52 PM

I'm 66 and not happy with my previous life. The only things from it that I can remember being "good" are my kids, a good education, and good jobs/work experience.
I'm very happy with my present life. My wife of 18+ years has made it the best. :love:
The only thing that might make it better is winning the lottery. Nothing big. Just enough get my youngest (30 years old) into a good group home for autistic adults. The other kids are on their own. :p
And maybe enough to buy a summer home (NC?) and a winter home (Apalachicola or Inverness FL?).

tsl 06-18-11 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12805440)
Take out the "past" part and I'm very happy with the direction of my life.

+1

It took me a few decades to get it all sorted out. I realize I had to go through it to get where I am, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, or look back on the experience fondly.

The past ten years have been decent though, and I'm liking where I'm at now and the direction things are heading.

cycleobsidian 06-18-11 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 12805387)
At age 60, I am the luckiest SOB I know, solid financial security (thanks in large part to my Scots-Yankee frugality). Oh yeah -- I forgot to mention my excellent health, which I owe to 100k cumulative miles of road bicycling. I am certain my passions for bicycling and classical music have supported my mental and emotional health, as well. Bicycling has also contributed greatly to my social well-being.

If I had not discovered bicycling at age 12 and an abiding passion for it by 18, I would probably now be an overweight diabetic heart attack survivor, if still around at all.

I find this post very inspirational.

I recently broke a bone in my foot whilst on a bike ride, had doubts about continuing to ride, but the more I mend the more I realize the big picture: It is important to stay active and follow your passion.

This post helps me realize all the advantages of cycling...I am very fit, active, and a good sense of self, partly because of cycling. I will not give it up for anything.

Cheers!

hikeandbike 06-18-11 03:04 PM

More positives in my past then negatives. Can't say that things were always the best. I used to struggle with the concept of being content. I think I wanted more joy and fulfillment. Peeking back it looks pretty good. Two wonderful sons who seem happy and independent. A career that was IMO successful and significant. Retired and working in my field part time now. More time for fun now (biking, hiking, racquetball....) Good health. Unsure of any specific plans for the future but excited about the possibilities. Happier with myself now than at any other time in my life. More comfortable in my own skin. Wish that came earlier. I appreciate the question causing some reflection.

NOS88 06-18-11 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 12806258)
You don't think that you've learned anything from your past experiences?

Learning from past experiences and those experiences being necessary are two entirely different things.

XR2 06-18-11 04:10 PM

Used to be. No more.

John_V 06-18-11 04:53 PM

Forty two years with the same wonderful woman, excellent past occupations, no debt what-so-ever, nice retirement pension and nice retirement nest egg, current job pays me extremely well, what's not to like? I've been retired once before but went to work because my wife couldn't retire yet. I ride daily and enjoy life to the fullest. Two children and three grandsons. Life is great and every day will be last day of my life.

akohekohe 06-18-11 05:14 PM

I'm a professor at the University of Hawaii ... its a tough life but someone has to do it. Things will get even tougher when I retire in five years.:lol:

Northwestrider 06-18-11 05:30 PM

Yes, maybe because I ride bikes a lot:):)

qmsdc15 06-18-11 05:49 PM

What a thing to ask! Have you learned nothing in your many years?

DnvrFox 06-18-11 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by qmsdc15 (Post 12807203)
What a thing to ask! Have you learned nothing in your many years?

Apparently not! :eek:

DnvrFox 06-18-11 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by bjorke (Post 12806233)
A question that sounds important but is actually, imo, a waste of time.

Then I guess you won't be responding to this response!! :lol:

Wogster 06-18-11 06:42 PM

I said other, age is 50 (as of today) in some things I am happy the way they turned out, with others I am not, I have never had a job that truly made me happy, the rest, I wouldn't change much and there is less and less I wouldn't change all the time. The job problem, we moved last fall for my wife's work (she is a church minister), and I have discovered something, I am now too old to hire, to young to retire. Might need to work for myself, in that regard.....