Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Birthday ride, plus 3.43 to grow on... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/744704-birthday-ride-plus-3-43-grow.html)

tsl 06-18-11 11:17 AM

Birthday ride, plus 3.43 to grow on...

The day is tomorrow, Sunday, and I needed 54.

Rode 30 miles with the club this morning, plus the ride to the ride, and the ride home again. Sunny, started at 65°F rising to 80°F, with light winds off the lake.

Nice route, starting at a park out in horse country, and looping around through farm roads, mainly. A few miles of state highway, but it was well paved with good shoulders.

I managed to find the only gas station/convenience store without public restrooms. I hope the woodchuck who lives in the bushes up the street didn't mind me dampening his doorway.

I got home to find one of those electronics recycling festivals set up literally right across the street. I dragged over two old servers and now have a nice big empty space on the floor of the front hall closet. I really should just bite the bullet and drag over my old laser printer too, but the two or three times a year that I use it, it's really nice to have.

After a shower and lunch I'm off to the optician's for my birthday present to myself, a new set of lenses for my sunglasses. I sprung for Zeiss GT2 progressives in polarized. I'm keeping my Kala MAX frames (the Wayfarer-inspired ones in my avatar) for at least one more set of lenses.

Then I think a nice nap is in order.

Happy Birthday too to Cranky. And there's a third person here in 50+ too, but I can't remember who it is. I claim early onset Alzheimer's.

bruce19 06-18-11 02:52 PM

Is tomorrow (June 19th) your birthday? It's my 65th. Going off for a little ride with my gf and then a cookout with my son, daughter, gf and a few friends. Happy Birthday btw.

NOS88 06-18-11 03:23 PM

TSL, Cranky & Bruce.... Happy Birthday!

tsl 06-18-11 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 12806645)
Is tomorrow (June 19th) your birthday?

Ah, so you're the third one. How could I have forgotten? We have the same name.

Happy birthday!

DnvrFox 06-18-11 06:53 PM

Happy birthday tsl and all and congrats on everyone's ride(s).

Banded Krait 06-18-11 07:24 PM

Happy birthday, tsl! Glad you had a great ride.

cranky old dude 06-18-11 08:29 PM

tsl, back at ya!!!! :bday::bday::bday:

I need 60 miles...did 61.87 today just in case I feel too old to do it tomorrow!! :D

bruce19, Happy Birthday to you also!! :thumb:

cyclinfool 06-18-11 09:24 PM

Happy birthday guys, I'll be doing my 55 next week.

Dan Burkhart 06-18-11 09:41 PM

Well, have a very happy birthday, and many more. After all, you're still a kid, right? You must be, cause I am and you're younger than me.:beer::bday:

Dan Burkhart 06-18-11 09:43 PM

Oh, more birthday boys. Happy birthday all around.:bday::bday:

doctor j 06-19-11 06:41 AM

Happy birthday TSL et al. Well done on the ride.

big john 06-19-11 07:16 AM

Happy birthday, tsl. Sounds like you had a good Saturday.
Oh, happy birthday to you other guys, too.

bhchdh 06-19-11 07:56 AM

Happy Birthday tsl, I did my 52 on Friday with my sister-in-law, her 52nd is Monday. It was a good ride in and around the Bangor ME area. Only problem is that I live and ride in Virginia Beach, where we have no topography, and some of the hills here were very tough for me. All in all it was areally good day.

tsl 06-19-11 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 12807812)
just in case I feel too old to do it tomorrow!!

I'm feeling it today, all right.

What I didn't write is that I left late, and hammered to the start. (Arrived on time!) Then the 30 mile club ride was with the fast group. There were five of us off the front (of about 25 all together). So the first 42 miles or so yesterday were pretty much balls to the wall.

Oh, and did I mention that in my six years of cycling that I only ever walked one hill? That was back in my second year, or the first year riding road bikes. Yesterday's club ride concluded with that hill. Rode it though.

In any event, there are protests from the engine room this morning. Hell, even my toes are sore.

NOS88 06-19-11 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 12809123)
I'm feeling it today, all right.

What I didn't write is that I left late, and hammered to the start. (Arrived on time!) Then the 30 mile club ride was with the fast group. There were five of us off the front (of about 25 all together). So the first 42 miles or so yesterday were pretty much balls to the wall.

Oh, and did I mention that in my six years of cycling that I only ever walked one hill? That was back in my second year, or the first year riding road bikes. Yesterday's club ride concluded with that hill. Rode it though.

In any event, there are protests from the engine room this morning. Hell, even my toes are sore.

"What you didn't write..." is always the best part! ;) Congrats on nailing that hill. Now on today, the anniversay of your birth, find a nice outside cafe, put your feet up, have a cold one, and watch people for a few hours as you recover.

tsl 06-19-11 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12809407)
find a nice outside cafe, put your feet up, have a cold one, and watch people for a few hours as you recover.

Ah, you forget my occupation.

I'm in "treehouse mode" right now. There's a line of maple trees not ten feet outside my windows here on the third floor. I have all the windows open, the breeze is rustling the leaves, and I'm taking a lunch break from the stack of novels on the coffee table. Finished a period piece this morning (late 18th century Cambridge), working on a contemporary crime thriller (Norwegian) this afternoon. Took a nap in between.

The afternoon sun is lighting up the leaves and the whole place is taking on a green hue. I love treehouse afternoons.

bruce19 06-20-11 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 12807339)
Ah, so you're the third one. How could I have forgotten? We have the same name.

Happy birthday!

Now if you tell me you were born in 1946 in Hackensack, NJ I'm going to be really confused. :)

freedomrider1 06-20-11 12:59 PM

Happy B-day guys, hell even my toes are sore,that was funny.

tsl 06-20-11 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by freedomrider1 (Post 12814823)
hell even my toes are sore,that was funny.

And it was true!