Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saddles and your sex life,What do you think?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saddles and your sex life,What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What do I think? I think I have both, after 50 years (and many tens of thousands of miles) of riding.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 06-29-11, 05:08 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Do +50 yr. olds still have sex ?.
Old 06-29-11, 05:08 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
A concerned friend sent me this link regarding bikings affect on that important area.What do you all think?https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/sc...=1&ref=science
A concerned female friend?

I experienced pain on longer MTB rides while training for the C&O ride in 2006. Since then I found an acceptable MTB saddle. I use various Brooks saddles on my road bikes and never have an issue with pain or ED. If you read my recent posts you'll know I've had recent surgery on my prostate but I don't think it's directly attributable to cycling.
Old 06-29-11, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
You'll have to ask someone older than me . . .
Am 78 and covered over 300-thousand miles on bicycles so far.
Sex life is still great!
Ask me again in 20 years?
Old 06-30-11, 05:04 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
That Rigiscan thing sounds a little kinky.

I wonder where you can buy them.
Old 06-30-11, 05:49 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This junk science pops up every few years. I first heard about it in the early 1990s. If it were universally true, no one would ride a bike. Just some scam artist trying to sell you something.
Old 06-30-11, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Seems like the overwhelming consensus,by people with decades of experience and knowledge is,a resounding NO.Saddle and riding does not cause sexual dysfunction.Unless you're having sex on the saddle while riding.
Old 06-30-11, 08:22 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
Seems like the overwhelming consensus,by people with decades of experience and knowledge is,a resounding NO.Saddle and riding does not cause sexual dysfunction.Unless you're having sex on the saddle while riding.
Which brings us directly to the now removed long-ago thread by a lady who discussed in great detail the smile she got while riding. Enough said. (This was after I assured her that there was nothing that could not be openly discussed on BF).

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-30-11 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-30-11, 09:27 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Being reasonable you have to admit that a bike saddle is not the finest thing for a person to sit on. Also being reasonable seats on recumbents are far better for a person.
Old 06-30-11, 09:32 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Which brings us directly to the now removed long-ago thread by a lady who discussed in great detail the smile she got while riding. Enough said. (This was after I assured her that there was nothing that could not be openly discussed on BF).
That's a thread I'd pay to read.
Old 06-30-11, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Being reasonable you have to admit that a bike saddle is not the finest thing for a person to sit on. Also being reasonable seats on recumbents are far better for a person.
I think it depends on what your used to sitting on, if it's a soft recliner then yeah, there are more comfortable things to sit on, although I have NEVER had a car that was comfortable to sit in either, now compare that saddle to a hard wood school chair, or a church pew from the late 19th century, and that saddle seems to be pretty good.
Old 06-30-11, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Your assertion rests on the mistaken assumption that bicycle saddles are meant to be sat upon in the same way that one 'sits' on a dining room chair or 'in' a couch or (wait for it!) ... a recliner/'Lazyboy' or similar.

They are not so intended; that is why they are called 'saddles', not 'seats' (the analogy to equestrian saddles is not misleading).

Cycling is a dynamic activity. Bicycle saddles are meant to be a 'point of contact' between one's sit bones and the bicycle, with one's body weight evenly distributed (the balance will differ slightly according as to individual preferences and riding position) between hands, feet, and rear end.

Using a properly designed, properly adjusted, and properly fitted saddle, a cyclist should not experience much (if any) pressure in 'other areas' at all, and certainly not such as would cause the kinds of symptoms under discussion in this thread.

Edit: oops, sorry Wogster! I see you got to 'recliner' first; credit where credit is due!
Old 06-30-11, 09:31 PM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Man, they should have made that one a sticky!
Old 06-30-11, 11:44 PM

Bikes: Various, I like to work on bikes restoring and building.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 60, and still oversexed. I don't think the biking has hurt me at all, but who really knows. I will keep biking because I get to do more of that than sex.
Old 07-01-11, 12:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There have been a lot of studies debunking studies where people who ride bikes experience erectile dysfunction. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Old 07-01-11, 02:32 AM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
This controversy is as old as bicycling. From an article in the British Medical Journal of 1896 Turner E. B. 1896

SADDLE.
In adjusting the machine, the saddle should be placed at such a height that when the pedal is at its lowest point the heel can be easily placed upon it when sitting erect. The length of cranks should be 61 to 7 inches. The " gear " of the machine must vary according to the character of the roads to be ridden over and the gradient of the hills. For level, good road about 63 inches, for bad roads and steep hills about 56 inches should do. The great point in choosing a saddle is to get one which will be comfortable, and suit the individual. This is a matter of careful adjustment. Some complain that when they ride the pressure of the peak on the perineum causes distress. There are many inventions intended to obviate this. The " Hygienic" -saddle is split all the way down, so that there is nothing to press on the central line. The " Anatomical " (Henson's) consists of a pneumatic seat, with depressions to take the ischial tuberosities, and no peak at all; " Burgess's " saddle is on the same lines, and all of these are excellent when they are properly adjusted to suit each person. The essentials of a good saddle are that it should be large enough for the rider to sit fairly and squarely on it, and not hang himself on the peak (if it has one) as if were riding on a rail. It must be tilted to such an angle that no weight whatever falls on the front part, and it must be sufficiently cut away at the sides to allow free movement of the legs while pedalling. A rider should give an hour or more to the adjustment of a new saddle, and having once found what angle and position suits himself, he should never move it. The saddle is often blamed, especially by women, for ordinary " soreness." This simply means that the sufferer has not ridden enough to harden his or her tissues, and perseverance will soon cure it.
Old 07-01-11, 08:24 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd rather ride my bike than have sex.