Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   starting over (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/747744-starting-over.html)

KyBill54 06-29-11 11:15 PM

starting over

Hi,
Just started over again after 15yrs.Had a little heart problem a while back.Functioning on 20%.I'm sure there is someone out there who has the same situation as me.Would like to know how long it took them to get their stamina back to ride long distances?.I:ride:

Northwestrider 06-29-11 11:38 PM

I think it depends on ones age, and at what level of stamina are you referring to. I have a friend that had a bypass operation at around 55 years of age. He seemed to bounce back fairly quickly with regular jogging. I could not give you a time frame however.

drmweaver2 06-30-11 01:57 AM

Didn't have heart problems but did have a major respiratory issue which dropped my oxygen exchange rate to under 25% this past spring (never dreamed I'd have to use an oxygen tank to walk around my house, but I did). How long did it take to recover? I still haven't hit 80% of where I was 6 months ago.

My "solution" - just ride - slower and taking more rest breaks than I was used to doing, if necessary - but ride. I absolutely carry a cell phone for emergencies everywhere I ride and have a emergency pickup plan before I go out on any ride. I push easier gears than I used to and consequently ride slower as I don't "spin" efficiently or effectively; doing so has me hyperventilating.

Results wise, I've worked myself to where I rode 30 consecutive days of metric centuries last month. It was far slower riding than last year yet only twice did I give thought to not finishing the day's ride. Just sat, waited to recover my breathing (as long as 45 minutes) and got back on the bike.

Btw, I started riding again way before my doctors wanted to clear me to do so. Their plan was a lot of walking, no riding until August and/or reaching 70% of my prior respiratory efficiency. Shrug - what do they know. I know how I feel. :grins

Best of luck finding what works for you.

stapfam 06-30-11 11:28 AM

I was fit and had been cycling for around 10 years when I had a heart attack and bypass aged 52. 3 months after the bypass I did a hard 40 miler and have just kept going ever since.

sikabk 06-30-11 02:59 PM

I've started riding indoors recently...hopefully soon outdoors too! I had asthma as a kid and then it returned about ten years ago. In my last check up my doctor put me on two more medications for asthma up to 4 daily. :notamused: My also doctor prescribed one of these personal peak flow meter....can't break 80% even on my best day. In addition she recommended that I start working out, she suggested swimming, but pool locations are not close nor inexpensive....and the schedules don't always work. Then a friend of mine is an avid cyclist and after some prodding I've been riding my wifes stationary to start with. My goal is to get rid of the meds and get into the mid 90's....and drop a few pounds. Can't say how it is with a heart, but slow and steady is my motto!