Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fighting the weight gain battle and losing.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fighting the weight gain battle and losing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 08:53 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't diet... I cut my portions in half. I also switched from Bud Light to Michelob Ultra. Do you think this will help?
Old 07-07-11, 08:55 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
I don't diet... I cut my portions in half. I also switched from Bud Light to Michelob Ultra. Do you think this will help?
Depends on the size portion that you cut in half. I drink water. It doesn't help.
Old 07-07-11, 09:49 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, just like in grade school when I read the first chapter of the required reading, then skipped to the end; I started reading the first few posts, then skipped, what I am sure were very inciteful posts. Lots of stuff about diet as I sped-read thru. My testimonial and observation is just this, I was 6', 235 lbs and in a bad way about 3 years ago. Then I found kayaking, in combination with cycling. I went from 235 to 175 in less than a year. That was about 3 years ago and I'm up to 185. I'm 51 now, and I positively believe that it was more about working the upper body than my legs. I, to this day, firmly believe that if you can find a way to work your arms, like swimming or something, it will do more to burn you stomach fat then riding alone. My 2 cents from experience.
Old 07-08-11, 03:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
My testimonial and observation is just this, I was 6', 235 lbs and in a bad way about 3 years ago. Then I found kayaking, in combination with cycling. I went from 235 to 175 in less than a year. That was about 3 years ago and I'm up to 185. I'm 51 now, and I positively believe that it was more about working the upper body than my legs. I, to this day, firmly believe that if you can find a way to work your arms, like swimming or something, it will do more to burn you stomach fat then riding alone. My 2 cents from experience.

You may have something in your observation. When I paddled canoes a lot, I seemed to have an easier time keeping my weight down. Of course I was in my late 40's to early 60's and therefore somewhat younger too. I would paddle 4 to 7 hours/week as hard as I could.

I have less time in double-blade boats, but do own one. If you use the proper technique either single or double blade, you are using the total upper body strenuously. So it makes sense that upper body might in fact have more effect.

Matter of fact, single-blade kneeling which is the only way the wife and I have ever paddled, also works out the upper legs some what as well. My double blade experience indicates that too. It may be that paddling is a pretty good full-body work out depending how one approaches it.

Now that I'm mostly into mountain biking, I've had to add some running (gravity work) to stay adequately fit and keep my leg endurance up for more than just peddling.

In my case though for both the paddling and the cycling periods, I've done strength training as well.

Sprints (running) are also good for melting stomach fat according to some studies and observations.

Al

Last edited by alcanoe; 07-08-11 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-08-11, 04:59 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6' 3" and I weigh 235lbs. Since I began cycling 2 months ago I have lost 10 lbs. I would like to loose 30 or 40 more. I agree with previous posts that cycling alone is not going to shed the pounds. The fitness trend now-a-days is "muscle confusion". Many posts have referenced this technique by citing different workouts to accompany their cycling prowess.
Especially as we get older we have to do different things to wake up our metabolism. This is fine if your retired and have a lot of time to dedicate to working out. But, for me; I'm still grinding out making a living so cycling is really the only workouts I have time for.
Input vs. output is another option that will help accomplish the goal.
Don't have time for counting calories? Dont like to watch what your eating? The solution to this problem is simply cut your portions in half. In stead of a full bowl of cheerios in the morning... half a bowl. Instead of a half a rack of ribs at Outback Steak house... 1/4 of a rack (give the rest to your dog) Instead of a whole dinner role at dinner... half a role. Get the idea? It takes a lot of inner discipline and a desire for trying not to enter a feeding frenzy when sitting at the table.
I also really enjoy a cold beer. Michelob Ultra has only 90 calories and I think there is a Miller beer with only 64 calories.
So, eat what you want and enjoy your beer! Just eat less of it.
Old 07-08-11, 04:59 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Cut out something else and start drinking real beer.
Old 07-08-11, 07:52 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Cut out something else and start drinking real beer.
+1 An Ultra is what, 75 cals. and a real beer is 135 cals.
Old 07-08-11, 08:22 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, just like in grade school when I read the first chapter of the required reading, then skipped to the end; I started reading the first few posts, then skipped, what I am sure were very inciteful posts.
That's the reason I haven't contributed to this thread...I don't want to incite anyone or anything.

Oh, crap, I just did.

Old 07-08-11, 08:27 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by stonefree
A simple weight loss program --- never eat another chip or french fry as long as you live. Betcha can't eat just none.
...and cake, cookies, ice cream, pop, and the pie. Ooops. Forgot that this is the 50+ forum with the pie obsession
Old 07-08-11, 08:35 AM

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off change your focus from weight to being healthy and fit. As was pointed out somthing that has helped me is to change the way I look at eating. I try and view it in terms of the fuel my body needs and not an end in itself. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to add weight training to your workouts even if it means taking some biking time to do it. Lifting weights will really help ramp up your metabolism. It is also hugely important for both men and women as we get older to maintain muscle mass and reduce bone loss.
Old 07-08-11, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Getting your heart rate up to, or above, your lactate threshold, which is usually around 85% of your max HR. Push 90% of your MHR for awhile, and it can really trigger the eating. Not immediately, because you are too exhausted to eat, but later - watch out. And because high intensity takes a lot out of you physically, you may not be able to do it for as long, and you end up burning fewer calories and less fat than on a longer slower ride. Couple that with the eating urge, and you can have a net caloric increase. The higher zones burn less fat as a percentage of total calories burned, but, so long as you go for just as long, more total fat (and calories) are burned. You just have to be careful about the eating stimulus.

Because of these factors, zone 2 (about 65-80% of MHR) is often referred to as the "fat burning zone". You can go forever, and you are burning mostly fat rather than carbs. No need to eat before or during - you are using fat, not glycogen. Long z2 base miles are generally considered the optimum way to lose weight cycling. Do one ride each week that is as long as possible, and it can really help keep the fat off. Don't eat, just ride.

I didn't stop dropping weight until I (a) tracked my nutrition, (b) started eating to train, instead of training to eat, and (c) began training to race, which meant long base miles and hard intervals, often on the same ride. I do a hard fast 50 mile group ride on Saturdays, then, if I'm in a base training phase, tack on another 40 miles of base - that sort of thing. Couple that with smart eating, and there isn't much room for excess fat. I dropped 30 pounds in about 4 months, and am at what I feel is my ideal weight. My wife thinks I'm a bit below ideal, but then, she doesn't climb hills with the 24 year olds weighing 140# who are trying to drop me.

When I hear of people that aren't able to get the weight off, I thank my parents for giving me a high-metabolism, and I also wonder "Are they tracking their nutrition?" It's the single biggest factor in successful weight loss, and yet it is one that is so often ignored. If you are struggling trying to lose weight, and you aren't already doing so, then HTFU and track your eating and exercise.

After my Saturday rides, I stop immediately for a big recovery breakfast of sausage, eggs, hash browns and toast. It's my reward, and I can do that and still have a caloric deficit for the day. You need protein to recover, ya' know?
This post should be compulsory reading for anyone contemplating using bicycling as a weight-loss component. It is really a misunderstood part of the whole cycling (and exercise) scene.

The trouble with most bike riders is that they want to go out and hammer their rides. Ride at a high heart rate and at max speed, all the time. Look at group rides, look at even some of the posts in this thread as examples.

There have been many posters in the past on BFs complaining how they ride every day but can't seem to lose weight. When the layers of the onion are peeled back they ride at a high intensity for relatively short periods on commutes (for example), and have a beer or carbo habit. That's the ideal combination for weight gain.

Oh, and learning to say no is a great way to diet.
Old 07-08-11, 07:44 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
That's the reason I haven't contributed to this thread...I don't want to incite anyone or anything.

Oh, crap, I just did.

You have ‘insighted’ me, Sir!!.... Let this be a lesson kids, do your homework and pay attention in class.
Old 07-08-11, 07:46 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You have ‘insighted’ me, Sir!!.... Let this be a lesson kids, do your homework and pay attention in class.
I'm glad you have a sense of humor. *whew!*

Old 07-08-11, 07:50 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
I'm glad you have a sense of humor. *whew!*

Gotta cut a fellow Hoosier some slack. Evansville born.
Old 07-10-11, 09:16 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I am so tired of the fight, I could just spit. The wife and I took the RV and went out to see the great grand, and grand kids and although I brought the bikes I haven't been able to get any ridding in. Either time constraints or in northern Oregon and southern Washington it was cold and very wet. When with the kids I am not going to go ridding and not be with them. Anyway I'm not burning the calories I used to and the pounds I worked so hard to loose...

Then I run into these people who are skinny and wish they could put on some pounds. Did you ever have the overpowering urge to kill??
I know the feeling, and sometimes people look at me, at the way I eat, and don't gain a pound. I am 6ft 3in at 137, I just gain 2 lbs of muscle in the last month.

Back to you, the fight is WINNABLE. The sharp readers can pick up why you are losing the battle in your 3rd sentence, in your first paragraph. If you make getting out there and DOING IT, a PRIORITY, then you will be on the road to WINNING the battle.

Time constraints, mean that DOING IT, wasn't a high enough priority. That is why you are losing the battle..

If you go at it, make it priority ONE, you will win. No IF, DOUBTS ABOUT IT!!Luck to you,
Old 07-10-11, 09:25 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blanchje
First off change your focus from weight to being healthy and fit. As was pointed out somthing that has helped me is to change the way I look at eating. I try and view it in terms of the fuel my body needs and not an end in itself. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to add weight training to your workouts even if it means taking some biking time to do it. Lifting weights will really help ramp up your metabolism. It is also hugely important for both men and women as we get older to maintain muscle mass and reduce bone loss.

What is in bold should be made a sticky... Can't be put or said any better..
Old 07-11-11, 01:51 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and I weigh 235lbs. Since I began cycling 2 months ago I have lost 10 lbs. I would like to loose 30 or 40 more. I agree with previous posts that cycling alone is not going to shed the pounds. The fitness trend now-a-days is "muscle confusion". Many posts have referenced this technique by citing different workouts to accompany their cycling prowess.
Especially as we get older we have to do different things to wake up our metabolism. This is fine if your retired and have a lot of time to dedicate to working out. But, for me; I'm still grinding out making a living so cycling is really the only workouts I have time for.
Input vs. output is another option that will help accomplish the goal.
Don't have time for counting calories? Dont like to watch what your eating? The solution to this problem is simply cut your portions in half. In stead of a full bowl of cheerios in the morning... half a bowl. Instead of a half a rack of ribs at Outback Steak house... 1/4 of a rack (give the rest to your dog) Instead of a whole dinner role at dinner... half a role. Get the idea? It takes a lot of inner discipline and a desire for trying not to enter a feeding frenzy when sitting at the table.
I also really enjoy a cold beer. Michelob Ultra has only 90 calories and I think there is a Miller beer with only 64 calories.
So, eat what you want and enjoy your beer! Just eat less of it.
I am 70, and not retired. I have to pay for my toys!! However, like I mentioned before in this thread, it is a matter of PRIORITY. I make my exercise time PRIORITY ONE. Why? Because if I am not healthy, all the dam things in the world are not going to do me any good.

No such thing as "don't have time"...MAKE TIME!!!
Old 07-11-11, 03:04 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
No such thing as "don't have time"...MAKE TIME!!!
Agree! Outside of your health and well being, what is so important that it can't wait until tomorrow?

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-14-11, 12:30 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I might be broke as a doornail, but I made exercise time priority ONE. At 70 years old, I can't take all the money, the property and all the material things with me when I leave this world, but I can enjoy being healthy while I am in it.

Old 07-14-11, 12:41 PM
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We skinny or formerly skinny people that wish we could gain weight usually aren't saying that to make you feel bad. We are saying that because we have body issues. We don't like the looks of our skinny body's. Up until my mid 40's I weighed between 180 to 200 pounds. At 6'4" I always felt skinny. Once I retired from the Army and wasn't running everyday I went up to 210 and stayed there till 2 years ago when I went up to 249. I started walking because even though I had finally gained some weight it wasn't comfortable and I wasn't as mobile as I once was. I'm back to 220 after a few thousand miles and smile on the bike and that's where I plan to stay. Don't feel skinny anymore but don't feel overweight either. Doctor says 215 to 225 is great for my height/age.
Old 07-14-11, 12:55 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jbman100
We skinny or formerly skinny people that wish we could gain weight usually aren't saying that to make you feel bad. We are saying that because we have body issues. We don't like the looks of our skinny body's. Up until my mid 40's I weighed between 180 to 200 pounds. At 6'4" I always felt skinny. Once I retired from the Army and wasn't running everyday I went up to 210 and stayed there till 2 years ago when I went up to 249. I started walking because even though I had finally gained some weight it wasn't comfortable and I wasn't as mobile as I once was. I'm back to 220 after a few thousand miles and smile on the bike and that's where I plan to stay. Don't feel skinny anymore but don't feel overweight either. Doctor says 215 to 225 is great for my height/age.

The key point was when you said you retired, and WAS NOT RUNNING/EXERCISING like use were doing everyday..Before you retired, the running and exercise was a HIGH PRIORITY. After you retired it was not a high priority. However, after a while, you caught on to what was going on and returned back to some form of daily exercise. End result, you are right on target with your weight..

It all boils down to the excuse of "I don't have time to do exericise". In every failing to lose weight (that is, if you are overweight), I can show you were the losing weight is not a PRIORITY, and that is the main reason one is not losing weight when they need too..

Great post...
Old 07-14-11, 03:08 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70% diet, the rest is exercise.

No, you cannot eat that cake.
Old 07-15-11, 12:14 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oneofpr
70% diet, the rest is exercise.

No, you cannot eat that cake.
and make what you stated so well, a PRIORITY!!
Old 07-16-11, 04:32 AM
"He must be crazy!"

Bikes: Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is possible to eat large amounts of food and still lose weight, as long as it is the right type of food! I put absolutely no limit on the amount of salad that I eat, for example. I love the stuff and prepare an amount that would typically feed 3 or 4 people. I just don't eat lots of other calorie dense food with it. I might have a tin of tuna, a baked potato and some cottage cheese. I make my own salad dressing and bulk it out with low fat yoghurt. That's a really healthy, tasty meal which is very filling and doesn't contain a huge number of calories.

I apply the same thinking to many vegetables. Obviously, starchy veggies like potatoes have to be kept under control, but I will eat (say) 3 or 4 steamed carrots, a smallish head of broccoli, and a couple of fistfuls of cabbage with some new potatoes and beans. There's enough bulk there to be satisfying, it is tasty, full of goodness and once again - not packed with calories.

People can't believe how much I eat and yet I still lose weight when I'm not drinking beer. Unfortunately, I do drink rather a lot of beer ...
Old 07-16-11, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
You do have to be careful of how much salads/veggies you eat, not because of gaining weight, rather because of getting too much of anything is bad for you. I also love veggies and eat a lot, but I have to be careful because I've overdone it and gotten too much fiber. That sucks when you got too much fiber in your system, but like I said, not just an issue with fiber; hell, too much water will kill you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.