Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Lunch at Harpers Ferry, WV (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/748049-lunch-harpers-ferry-wv.html)

buelito 07-01-11 06:04 AM

Lunch at Harpers Ferry, WV

9 Attachment(s)
Harpers Ferry

What a gorgeous day in the DC area—temperatures in the 80’s, humidity LOW—felt almost like a Colorado summer. I picked up a mountain bike on Craigslist that I want to use to hit the local trails, and decided I wanted to get the ‘feel’ of the bike by doing a long ride. So I decided to go to Harpers Ferry for lunch.

First I ride the W&OD trail (paved)—I was feeling the uselessness of a full suspension mountain bike on a paved trail. Really not made for that, but that’s OK. It is a breaking in for the bike and me anyway, so I can live with it. Rode to Leesburg, VA and followed Rt 15 to White’s Ferry. There I waited for the ferry to come across the river and chatted with 2 women who were doing the Great Alleghany Trail and C&O Canal (total of 340 miles). They were on their 8th day—riding enjoying the scenery, averaging around 50 miles a day. They just had the last leg of the C&O Canal to do—White’s Ferry to Georgetown, in DC—about 35 miles.

I headed west on the trail after leaving the ferry. Very quiet, very solitary. Occasionally (I saw 7) I would see a rider coming towards me—all of them with panniers and the look of cyclists who were doing days of riding. The distance from White’s Ferry to Harper’s Ferry is 25 miles. I had forgotten how nice it is to ride alone, in complete solitude, with no cars around. I saw deer, squirrels, chipmunks…

As I approached Harper’s Ferry- probably 4 miles out, I started to see people—on bikes, walking, running, with kids, with dogs, alone. All very pleasant.

I crossed the river into Harpers Ferry, West Virginia and decided to go up the hill for the view. I had just ridden over 50 miles of almost flat terrain. The hill going up to Hilltop House is very long and very steep. (The bike handled it flawlessly). I took a couple of pictures from the top and headed back down. A quick lunch and back to the trail and home.

All in all, it was 105 miles of riding on a bike that was new to me. I definitely need to replace the saddle on the bike. I haven’t been that sore in a long time. Otherwise, the bike seems to work pretty well. We’ll see how it does offroad on Saturday.

Train safe-

Phil85207 07-01-11 07:41 AM

looks like a great ride. I am in Mt. Shasta Calf now and have very similar looking scenery.

Sculptor7 07-01-11 11:53 AM

What a charming ride! I envy you. Most of my riding is solitary and I do enjoy experiencing nature quietly the way you did. Last night I went with a small group from my club along the Mountain Division Trail in Maine near Lake Sebago and it was very pleasant although under grey skies. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Brown 07-01-11 03:11 PM

I have been to Harper's Ferry four times (three on cycling trips). Love the town and love cycling on the C&O Canal. Here is a photo of a friend and I having a liquid lunch on a patio in Harper's Ferry.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...rist/beer2.jpg

miss kenton 07-01-11 04:58 PM

That looks like a beautiful ride.
Ken, that looks like Guinness!

Beverly 07-01-11 05:30 PM

Loved the pictures. They reminded me of my ride in the same area last summer. We also stopped for lunch in Harper's Ferry.

JimF22003 07-02-11 02:34 AM

Thanks for the story and the nice pics!

I rode through Harpers Ferry for the first time this spring (on a road bike.) I crossed the river at Point of Rocks instead of taking the ferry, and came down through Brunswick. It was way colder than the weather report predicted, but I still stopped and had an ice cream cone :)