Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Contador

Old 07-24-11, 07:37 AM
big john

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Think you could go further than that---THE Whole event this year has been fantastic. Barring the accidents that have taken out a few of the possible front runners--Or may even be because of that-- This year has been the best TDF for years.
You're right about that, a fun race to watch despite the crashes.
Old 07-24-11, 08:25 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
It was a rough start with all the crashes, especially affecting potential leaders and key support riders. But this tour soon became one of the most exciting and engaging tours I ever followed. Having the final outcome still in play all through the Alps in the final week and right down to the ITT on the penultimate stage was a great treat for me. Much better imho to have a real three (four?) way battle of individual efforts as well as team tactics than simply seeing a master plan of total dominance efficiently executed as we have seen in so many recent tours.

Many other stories have made this a great tour. Team Time Trials are always fun to watch. Seeing Tyler Farrar win the stage on the 4th of July was fantastic! Voeckler's tenacity in hanging on to the yellow for so long against incredible odds was amazing. Garmin's team success was nice to see and Thor Hushovd winning two mountain stages and wearing the yellow for a couple of days was thrilling.

I've left out many great moments, but you get the idea. I'm going to be in serious withdrawals for a while, but my wife will be happy to regain control of the big TV.
Old 07-24-11, 08:44 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
There's always the Vuelta a Espana!

That WAS one fantastic Tour. It covered all the bases. It was emotional, thrilling, heartbreaking, and in the end, a triumph of determination.

Wow!
Old 07-24-11, 01:51 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
There's always the Vuelta a Espana!
Before that we have the Tour Of Poland. Watch that for 7 days and you will be glad to watch a local MTB race in the rain---LIVE. Still have a few days of reruns of vital stages and then I think there will be a Highlights hour so when I get the garden back staright it will be La Vuelta.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-24-11, 04:38 PM
oilman_15106

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta feel for Tommy V., wish he could have made the podium. All the podium holders were quite gracious in victory, the way it should be. Thought Frank Schleck's daughter stole the show on the podium. She would not give up the pacifier and her little blanket! A tenacious cyclist in the making?

All in all one of the best races in the last several years.
Old 07-24-11, 06:46 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoyed this year's Tour (even though I didnt get to watch much of it). congrats to Cadel Evans
Old 07-25-11, 12:04 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Watching the podium today was very emotional for me. I can't imagine what it was like for the riders - they were really magnificent. I am so proud of them. And, as I said in another thread, Thomas Voeckler was on the podium, too.

What an inspiring, thrilling, captivating three weeks of racing (and TV!). I won't soon forget it.
Old 07-25-11, 09:38 PM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well this started as the Contador thread. Here is some news on AC's upcoming trial from Bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...nce-title.html
Old 07-26-11, 12:45 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, goody, it's the gift that keeps giving.

If he's on the ball maybe he can recover in time to bag the Vuelta title and make this even more convoluted.
Old 07-27-11, 11:42 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: UCI/WADA vs. AC at CAS ... hearing put off until November. Sheech! They should just drop the whole matter.

Link to Cyclingnews' Contador CAS hearing postponed until November on-line article.