Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   How ironic the shuttle launch stopped at... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/749875-how-ironic-shuttle-launch-stopped.html)

bigbadwullf 07-08-11 09:28 AM

How ironic the shuttle launch stopped at...

31 seconds....in Florida.

Let's see who figures this one out.

overthehillmedi 07-08-11 09:39 AM

Just a wild hair guess, Florida is the 31st state?

Bob Ross 07-08-11 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf (Post 12898101)
31 seconds....in Florida.

That's how long it took to determine that the 2000 presidential election was rigged?

bigbadwullf 07-08-11 09:50 AM

Nope and nope. Very recent event.

Hijacking my own thread:

Since most all of us were kids when the first moon mission went up, this stuff still brings back the days of watching that. We had TV then but were on an antenna for TV reception. My Dad was an amateur astronomer and pretty frugal. He had cable run to our house so we could watch the moon mission. I sat there glued to the TV watching it. I was enthralled to say the least.
We had the largest telescope in the region, a 16-inch reflector. If you know anything about telescopes...that is HUGE! The whole thing was like 12-15 feet long. Got to see some awesome stuff from that telescope.

Kurt Erlenbach 07-08-11 11:52 AM

Rode downtown to see the launch this morning, to avoid the traffic. Downtown Titusville was packed, and the launch wasn't so good, because of the clouds. It's always fun to bike past people stuck on traffic. It would have been great for the final launch to be a perfectly clear day, but no such luck. Here's a good story from CNN about the effect of the end of the shuttle program on our town: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/05...-long-goodbye/

Kurt Erlenbach 07-08-11 12:52 PM

Here's my kind of crummy video of the launch today. My office is about 4 blocks from the best public viewing place in the world.

Blanchje 07-08-11 12:57 PM

31 seconds from launch to explosion of Challenger?

stonefree 07-08-11 12:58 PM

Uh...cause its 31 years old?

Kurt Erlenbach 07-08-11 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Blanchje (Post 12899282)
31 seconds from launch to explosion of Challenger?

That was 72 seconds, if I remember correctly.

jdon 07-08-11 03:16 PM

Child missing 31 days before reported to authorities.

jdon 07-08-11 03:20 PM

Oh,oh, The number of floridians that couldn't actually figure out who killed the kid!

Kurt Erlenbach 07-08-11 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 12900002)
Child missing 31 days before reported to authorities.

I hope, jdon, that's not what b-b-wullf has in mind. If it is, well . . ., let's just hope it isn't. If you're interested in related irony, check this out.

jdon 07-08-11 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 12900046)
I hope, jdon, that's not what b-b-wullf has in mind. If it is, well . . ., let's just hope it isn't. If you're interested in related irony, check this out.

I chalk it up to coincidence although others I am sure are looking to devine intervention.

Sad story. The shuttle program cancellation is another sad story. Florida needs some good news darn it!

Kurt Erlenbach 07-08-11 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 12900129)
The shuttle program cancellation is another sad story. Florida needs some good news darn it!

The CA murder story is just another example of Florida being Florida. And the end of the shuttle program is not necessarily bad news. Pres. Bush set it to end back in 2004 after the Columbia crash. His plan was to finish building the ISS, then end the shuttle program and move on to Constellation. Congress and NASA did a terrible job of managing Constellation, and Pres. Obama killed it in 2009 after a thorough review showed that there would be a minimum 7-year delay after shuttle and before the first manned Constellation launch, unless they massively ramped up the spending. Obama correctly decided to let the commercial companies work on sending men into low earth orbit, while NASA should focus on bigger things.

The shuttle program ended up costing about $1.5 billion per launch, which is enormously expensive. The unmanned space program, Hubble, Chandra, Cassini, etc., has been so spectacularly successful that it become hard to justify manned space exploration. I'm torn about which way to go. Let's hope that whatever comes next, it at least is done correctly.

wiredfoxterror 07-08-11 07:00 PM

I got just a little flash of the afterburn and then it was behind cloud cover. The cloudcover damped the boom noise, too. Darn.

rydabent 07-10-11 06:50 PM

Not enough votes in NASA. Obama is buying his votes elsewhere.

stonefree 07-10-11 07:23 PM

I'm still waiting for 'em to send another RC car to Mars. Now that was a space program. Oh well, the show's over down here anyway. NASA just laid off an entire city.

xizangstan 07-10-11 08:08 PM

And I don't see NASA starting up again anytime soon. I see that Bankruptcy is likely in our future. If so, that's it...

=======================

GOP presidential contender Ron Paul blames big government for holding up debt talks and is forecasting an all-out bankruptcy for America.

"I am very hopeful and positive in the long run, but I think we are going to go through a bankruptcy first," the Texas congressman told Fox News in a Sunday Interview.

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...#ixzz1Rl3NvQBq

maddmaxx 07-11-11 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 12898922)
Rode downtown to see the launch this morning, to avoid the traffic. Downtown Titusville was packed, and the launch wasn't so good, because of the clouds. It's always fun to bike past people stuck on traffic. It would have been great for the final launch to be a perfectly clear day, but no such luck. Here's a good story from CNN about the effect of the end of the shuttle program on our town: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/05...-long-goodbye/

I see what look like real estate bargains in and around Titusville. I always liked that part of Florida, perhaps ....................