Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'll be there in a few weeks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-04, 08:09 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts

but yesterday I did a 70 mile ride, by myself. And today I don't feel a thing. In fact, if I hadn't run out of daylight I'd have done 100, although the final 30 would have to have been flat. The 70 wasn't terribly hilly, but it wasn't flat either.

My motto for my 50th Bday is "30 at 50". I'm still doing the same things at 50 as I did at 30, I now weigh the same as I did after losing 40 pounds in the past 1 1/2 years, a lot due to cycling, and I still feel the same, and I'm damn good looking too My doctor says I'm in perfect shape. My only concession to age is that I need reading glasses to type this.
Old 11-20-04, 09:51 PM
The Iceman cometh!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy soon to be birthday. Keep on trucking, as we used to say.

What part of Brroklyn, used to work on Livingston and Court?
Old 11-20-04, 09:52 PM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but that good looking thing you are so proud of, disappears the day after your 50th b/day.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
Old 11-21-04, 08:57 AM

Flatbush. And in Flatbush it doesn't take much to be good looking.
Old 11-21-04, 10:47 AM
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are so right, spent a year growing up on Church and 57th Ave ave, had to be late 50's I was in 5th grade. Did Summer Camp at Tilden High School.
Old 11-21-04, 07:30 PM

Biggest bummer of the day was getting a flat at Flatbush (appropriate name I guess) and 7th Ave in Park Slope on the way home. This is after getting a flat on 9W in NJ. The first probably caused the second, since the pressure wasn't high enough and it was a pinch flat the 2nd time. I thought about stopping at a bike shop to pump the tires up hard but didn't want to stop again. It made me aware of my rear tire wearing out. I think its time for a new pump too, the new frame pumps work almost as well as the floor pumps do.

For my 50th I have my eyes on either an Orbea or Kuota full carbon frame, with Ultegra parts. I'll keep my current Velomax wheels to save a little cash if it makes a difference, but sometimes the whole package is cheaper than the parts when excluding a bit or two. I bought an mtb for my 40th, so I'm due another bike.
Old 11-22-04, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
but yesterday I did a 70 mile ride, by myself. And today I don't feel a thing. In fact, if I hadn't run out of daylight I'd have done 100, although the final 30 would have to have been flat. The 70 wasn't terribly hilly, but it wasn't flat either.

My motto for my 50th Bday is "30 at 50". I'm still doing the same things at 50 as I did at 30, I now weigh the same as I did after losing 40 pounds in the past 1 1/2 years, a lot due to cycling, and I still feel the same, and I'm damn good looking too My doctor says I'm in perfect shape. My only concession to age is that I need reading glasses to type this.
If getting to 50 is a "no drop" ride, then we'll be waiting for you at the designated "regroup" coffee shop.