Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

TDF TV crew driver needs to be...

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-11-11, 07:34 AM
bigbadwullf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow. I don't care how beat up I was after that crash involving the IDIOT TV crew driver, I'd have stalked the guy down and beat the crap out out of him!

The Tour needs to do something about all the vehicles in this race. The riders need to be very vocal about this. Are they just gonna wait until someone is killed to do something.....ahh to be more European....no thanks!
Old 07-11-11, 07:37 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
+1

I hope the riders and teams involved sue the idiot. That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen in sports.....oh, wait, the FIFA US vs Brazil officiating was close.
Old 07-11-11, 07:43 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you imagine the media's reaction if this race were held in the U.S. and the blatant disregard for rider safety? The media would be blasting us to no end.

I mean the fact there are trees that close to a roadway is just nuts in the first place. What are they thinking over there? Does it snow in that part of France? I can't imagine trying to drive in the snow with trees literally 6 inches from the road. OK maybe it's 8 inches...
Old 07-11-11, 07:56 AM
jdon

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driver error. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-11-11, 08:32 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
Driver stupidity and incompetence. Nothing more, nothing less.
fify
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-11-11, 08:49 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigbadwulf, An inconsiderate driver performing an ill advised pass, just like everyday riding.

Those trees have been there for decades and could've withstood a side swipe from a car much better than a bicyclist. In the 2011 Giro there was a no car zone. Team cars were substituted by motorcycles with mechanics and stratigically placed mechanics w/spares along the route.

Brad
Old 07-11-11, 09:06 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
I mean the fact there are trees that close to a roadway is just nuts in the first place. What are they thinking over there?
You mean what they were thinking when it was built? Probably something along the lines of "mine oxen shall be less tired after they pulleth mine cart through the shade down this lovely tree-lined road."

It looks better than a fair number of our county roads here, and we use several of those in various races, but then we only have neutral support cars. You break your bike, you either fix it yourself or get a ride back to your car.
Old 07-11-11, 10:31 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
Can you imagine the media's reaction if this race were held in the U.S. and the blatant disregard for rider safety? The media would be blasting us to no end.

I mean the fact there are trees that close to a roadway is just nuts in the first place. What are they thinking over there? Does it snow in that part of France? I can't imagine trying to drive in the snow with trees literally 6 inches from the road. OK maybe it's 8 inches...
These are typical European back roads. They are intended for scenic country drives. The road may have originally been a horse trail. The tree could be hundreds of years old.
The driver was instructed by the Race Director to pull over to let the team cars through, and specifically not to pass the riders. Please blame the driver, not the road or the tree.
Old 07-11-11, 10:35 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro View Post
These are typical European back roads. They are intended for scenic country drives. The road may have originally been a horse trail. The tree could be hundreds of years old.
The driver was instructed by the Race Director to pull over to let the team cars through, and specifically not to pass the riders. Please blame the driver, not the road or the tree.
don't be a namby-pamby tree hugger...the tree had no business being there. This was an obvious eco-nazi plot against Flecha.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-11-11, 10:50 AM
ItsJustAHill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things are universal on Earth: gravity and stupidity.
Old 07-11-11, 11:38 AM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
don't be a namby-pamby tree hugger...the tree had no business being there. This was an obvious eco-nazi plot against Flecha.
No, it was France TV making sure Flecha was out of the way so that frenchman Voeckler would get the yellow jersey, or at least have a better shot at the stage win. That they also took out Mountains leader dutchman Hoogerland was a bonus. If the driver had misjudged and taken out Voeckler, he would have got more than just a slap on the wrist Tour ejection...

(Actually, at the start of the stage, Voeckler was the best-placed rider on GC @ 1'29" down. Hoogerland and Flecha were about 10 and 12 minutes back, so would not have factored into the GC. No conspiracy there, I guess...)

L.
Old 07-11-11, 11:38 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The brain donor who was driving the car should've at least kept one eye open during his driving shift. What a dufus. Scrape the tree, hit the tree....but whatever you do, dont hit people. Sheesh.
Old 07-11-11, 11:43 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
The brain donor who was driving the car should've at least kept one eye open during his driving shift. What a dufus. Scrape the tree, hit the tree....but whatever you do, You Don't Hit The Race Leaders. Sheesh.
Yep
Old 07-11-11, 11:57 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the second tour accident involving a vehicle. In the earlier one a media motorcycle clipped someone while trying to pass them.

If the event organizers couldn't get the motorists to behave after the first crash, they should just get rid of the media vehicles and stick to helicopter shots.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-11-11, 12:11 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
No, it was France TV making sure Flecha was out of the way so that frenchman Voeckler would get the yellow jersey, or at least have a better shot at the stage win. That they also took out Mountains leader dutchman Hoogerland was a bonus. If the driver had misjudged and taken out Voeckler, he would have got more than just a slap on the wrist Tour ejection...

(Actually, at the start of the stage, Voeckler was the best-placed rider on GC @ 1'29" down. Hoogerland and Flecha were about 10 and 12 minutes back, so would not have factored into the GC. No conspiracy there, I guess...)

L.
My understanding is that the driver was heard hollering "FREEDUMB FRIES!" as he plowed into Flecha.
Old 07-11-11, 12:34 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
The brain donor who was driving the car should've at least kept one eye open during his driving shift. What a dufus. Scrape the tree, hit the tree....but whatever you do, dont hit people. Sheesh.
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Yep
Nice edit

....or plow through the back 1/3 of the peloton. Human bowling pins.
Old 07-11-11, 12:36 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
This is the second tour accident involving a vehicle. In the earlier one a media motorcycle clipped someone while trying to pass them.

If the event organizers couldn't get the motorists to behave after the first crash, they should just get rid of the media vehicles and stick to helicopter shots.
Did you see the rider adjusting his biking glasses as he came to a rest on his butt slide??
Old 07-11-11, 07:39 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This whole thing is fishy to me. The stories I saw yesterday and today said that the car was providing "technical support" to French TV.

I can't claim that I've read all the detail, but this smells fishy to me -- I suspect it was some bigwigs (either TV execs or some of their big money sponsors) getting a VIP tour of the race. The ultimate perk - getting a "close up" view of the tour in a "tech support" car.

I have no proof, just doesn't smell right to me.
Old 07-11-11, 08:15 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
Your suspicions would be well founded as it didn't (outwardly) look like a tech sppt vehicle to me, either. So yeah, some French TV VIPs were probably checking out the head of the race. Usually you see those guys at the back, but, eh, whatever. There's really no good choice in what to hit, is there? Like, what would have happened if he'd hit the tree? Would he have glanced off and taken out more riders & vehicles? Kinda hard to say, huh? Prudhomme should definitely get to reducing the ridiculous number of vehicles that have swelled the tour caravan now. However, in France where the law seems to be guilty until proven innocent, the documentation must conclusively prove that the driver did no wrong and the two guys just simply fell off their bikes.
Old 07-11-11, 10:56 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've watched the motorcycle - bicycle video 6 times and I'm unable to see the fallen rider's bike.
Old 07-11-11, 11:02 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
I've watched the motorcycle - bicycle video 6 times and I'm unable to see the fallen rider's bike.
It was hooked onto the motorcycle.
Old 07-12-11, 01:53 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Odd that the TV car driver or anyone else considered using brakes in that situation.
Old 07-12-11, 04:45 AM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doubt that anything will change. Michael Barry was once under a sliding motorcycle in a race. Powers that be want access.
Old 07-12-11, 05:19 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.. banned from all TdF events for life.

It's things like this that will eventually get the TdF to determine a motor vehicle free zone. I'm thinking from 300m before the first rider to 300m after the last rider, if you need a support vehicle, you can wait until all other riders have gone by, then a support vehicle can assist.
Old 07-12-11, 05:43 AM
willb1046

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Fuji 3.0 Newest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustAHill View Post
Two things are universal on Earth: gravity and stupidity.
Proven true once again.