Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Any TdF viewers having Comcast troubles (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/751092-any-tdf-viewers-having-comcast-troubles.html)

SaiKaiTai 07-12-11 05:44 PM

Any TdF viewers having Comcast troubles

Seems to be an ongoing thing with Comcast during the month of July. They somehow find a way to screw up Le Tour. I DVR the stages, not being in a position to get up at 4 or 5 AM and watch for 4 hours. I set the recording to go an hour or two over the scheduled time (been caught out one too many times). When I wake up, I see it still recording and it finishes at the set time. When I start watching, it shows that I have 5 hours (or whatever) remaining then, somewhere along the line, it loses the end. Suddenly, I'll have only an hour and a half recorded or -like the other morning- 9 minutes. Where's the rest of it gone off to? All of last week was fine. Happened last year, too and only for the Tour... I had to go back to tape.
Is it just me?

BluesDawg 07-12-11 06:19 PM

Sounds like a DVR problem. No trouble with mine, but it is DirecTV, not cable.

SaiKaiTai 07-12-11 08:01 PM

That's what Comcast support said, too.
Probably right though I do find it odd that only the TdF ever seems to be a problem.
I have no trouble getting all of my F1.

Oh well. It wouldn't bug me near as much if my backup tape wasn't pretty bad as well.

CraigB 07-12-11 08:04 PM

We've had Comcast, and a Tivo, for years, and I've never had the kind of problem you're describing.

SaiKaiTai 07-12-11 09:22 PM

I made a very serendipitous discovery today... it tied the whole thing together. I need a new box.

Gotta watch a lot of stuff so we can clear it out and do a swap.
Won't be before the end of Le Tour, though. I'll just need to record my backup on a different VCR.

BluesDawg 07-12-11 10:08 PM

In the meantime, maybe you would have better luck recording one of the three hour rebroadcasts instead of the full live version.

t4mv 07-12-11 10:22 PM

Do you mean you're running out of disk space on your DVR? It's too bad you can't just stick a huge disk farm in your box (or w/ your box) and keep adding on.. Well, if it makes you feel any better, a few years ago, during one of the LA Tours, 'can't remember which one they all look the same to me...:rolleyes:, right during the live feed, the signal goes to zip. WTF? So this happens for several consecutive days, but of course after the first time I call them and say "Lookit, the *only* reason I have you guys (Comcast) is so I can watch the Tour." So of course the rocket scientist of upgrades at Comcast picked the month of July to upgrade the cable in my neighborhood...:mad::mad::mad: The guy says he can credit me for the day's service for the inconvenience, but that I have to call each and every day for credit (instead of just giving me the month of July for free....):mad::mad::mad:

Needless to say, the second a better alternative to Comcast showed up in my neighborhood I ditched those pinheads and I must say it felt every bit as satisfying as I thought it would when the gal asked me why I was returning the box. :D