Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's good daily mileage on a hybrid?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-20-11, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I usually ride 15 to 18 miles because that's what I can get in after work in +/- an hour's time. On weekends, I push it further and try to get in 20 or 25 miles. I've done a couple of 50's and was pretty beat up afterwards, but nothing taking a shower and relaxing for a bit didn't fix. I know if I had a road bike I could make better time and cover more distance. I'm just wondering what kinda mileage is 'normal' for a 50+ (I'm 56) given the configurarion of the bike and what's going to be comfortable. Is it all about shape and conditioning, or is it unreasonable to think you can be comfortable on a hybrid for 3+ hours? What'cha think?
Old 07-20-11, 07:05 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 236 Posts
I don't have problems doing metrics on my Raleigh Passage.
Old 07-20-11, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A more expensive bike won't make you more fit -- you'll just cover more ground and have a flatter wallet.

I've done centuries on a nice, cheap used road bike and on a fat-tire mountain bike -- and had fun every time.

Ride as much as you have time for, be consistent and focus on quality time in the saddle rather than miles.
Old 07-20-11, 07:10 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bgross
A more expensive bike won't make you more fit -- you'll just cover more ground and have a flatter wallet.

I've done centuries on a nice, cheap used road bike and on a fat-tire mountain bike -- and had fun every time.

Ride as much as you have time for, be consistent and focus on quality time in the saddle rather than miles.
+1
Old 07-20-11, 07:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I averaged about 150/week last year on my hybrid and went the road bike route early this year. I did a metric century last year with no problems and actually comfort on my hybrid is no problem at all. My Bianchi hybrid was oriented to road work, it had 28mm Continental Gator tires and a similar riding position to my road bike. I find that I'm about 2 and a fraction mph faster ride average day in, day out on the road bike. At least some of that is due to the superior gearing, it has 10 speed 12-25 and the shifts are so closely spaced that it is a big help on keeping me in my powerband.

I'm 63.

Last edited by TomD77; 07-20-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito Celeste, Trek 7.5 FX, Felt Z6

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GaryPitts
I usually ride 15 to 18 miles because that's what I can get in after work in +/- an hour's time. On weekends, I push it further and try to get in 20 or 25 miles. I've done a couple of 50's and was pretty beat up afterwards, but nothing taking a shower and relaxing for a bit didn't fix. I know if I had a road bike I could make better time and cover more distance. I'm just wondering what kinda mileage is 'normal' for a 50+ (I'm 56) given the configurarion of the bike and what's going to be comfortable. Is it all about shape and conditioning, or is it unreasonable to think you can be comfortable on a hybrid for 3+ hours? What'cha think?
I've only resumed riding last month, so your numbers appear great to me!

I average around 10-11mph on my 20-60 minute daily rides, covering 3-10 miles in that time.

I'm currently riding a Trek 7300 but am getting a Trek 7.5. It will be interesting to see if my average numbers go up after that.
Old 07-20-11, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In my opinion, a good recreational daily mileage is whatever distance is required to keep you happy and fit. Are you happy? Feeling fit? Do you want to keep riding all your life? If so, I'd say you have it nailed.

If you want to ride longer than three hours and your present bike seems to get in the way, you might want to talk with a local expert about how well your bike does and does not fit you. Road/hybrid/comfort/tri/ aside a right fit can make all the difference. The longer you ride the more the quality of adjustments as simple as seat position, angle, height, cleat position, etc begin to tell.
Old 07-21-11, 06:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like it's just a conditioning thing. I've only been riding for about 4 months, so I guess I'm doing OK. I just got to wondering if a hybrid was expected to be comfortable on the long haul. Sounds like it is! I ride a GF Mendota and love it. I think my biggest problem with yesterday's ride was that the heat index was over 100 for the whole ride. Went through over a gallon on Gatorade and Powerade and still lost 6 pounds That's one way to lose weight!
Old 07-21-11, 07:22 AM
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a 720km, 8 day bike trip on my Trek 7.3FX a couple of weeks ago. Most of the time I wasn't even wearing bike shorts, just regular shorts. The road bikers were faster, but since it wasn't a race I didn't care.

I just like the flexibility of a hybrid. I go from commuting to work, to shopping, to visiting friends, to riding on gravel paths, to riding long distances all on the same bike.

You can easily go 3+ hours on a hybrid. It just takes practice to get up to that level.
Old 07-21-11, 07:23 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just did a week long tour on a rented hybrid (a heavy Trek beast with front suspension and huge thick knobby tires), and I admit the 40-plus mile days were sort of hard. But it could also have been the heat and the hills, of which there were many.

But then there were the occasional stretches of gravel, and they would have been pretty hard on a road bike, and I did enjoy the hybrid's granny gear.
Old 07-21-11, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
In my opinion, a good recreational daily mileage is whatever distance is required to keep you happy and fit. Are you happy? Feeling fit? Do you want to keep riding all your life? If so, I'd say you have it nailed.

If you want to ride longer than three hours and your present bike seems to get in the way, you might want to talk with a local expert about how well your bike does and does not fit you. Road/hybrid/comfort/tri/ aside a right fit can make all the difference. The longer you ride the more the quality of adjustments as simple as seat position, angle, height, cleat position, etc begin to tell.
+1. If you are comfortable on your bike that's all that matters. If you want to try and keep up with others then you might want a road bike.
Think time and intensity, not miles.
Old 07-21-11, 08:41 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I'll be 65 in October. The last charity ride that I did had all types of bikes entered for the ride. I did the 54 mile ride on my road bike and on the last 5 or 6 miles, I was riding behind a young female on a Cannondale hybrid who was doing just fine keeping an average 17 mph pace. I opted for the road bike on this ride because the route we were taking was full of rolling hills and the road bike is better suited for that type of riding. I have a few more charity rides starting in September and will take the hybrid if the terrain is suitable for it. The charity rides that I do with my wife but without my cycling team are all done on the hybrid.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-21-11, 11:58 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So what will get you higher milage-Your Hybrid- Me on a Cheap OCR3 or an offroad Tandem on a long ride?

It doesn't matter what bike you ride- I have done 100 milers on MTB's with Knobblies on- both road and offroad- Climbed mountains on the basic OCR3- and got a mate on his hybrid doing a metric- 3 weeks after getting it when his previous longest distance was 25 miles on a Basic bike.

Providing the bike fits- then use it.

Spike Milligan