Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   It took me a year but . . . (bike storage) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/754175-took-me-year-but-bike-storage.html)

DnvrFox 07-23-11 12:43 PM

It took me a year but . . . (bike storage)

It took me a year but I finally got it built.

It is supposed to hold 6 bicycles, but with most of my bikes having panniers, I can get four on there easily.

Problem is that the ball bearings all fell out of the swivel portion of one or more of the casters. I will call MOnday.

DnvrFox 07-23-11 01:03 PM

And, yes, the assembly manual DOES say "compast" storage with almost unreadable pictures. I believe I paid about $60?? But, it sure is saving some floor space. Now I need to get rid of an old rigid SPEC HR with bad wheels that I replaced with a Rock Hopper.

AlphaRed 07-23-11 01:33 PM

Hanging the bike from the front wheel. Is that hard on the wheel?

AlphaRed 07-23-11 01:35 PM

I think I saw these at Harbor Freight for $40

ARed

stapfam 07-23-11 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaRed (Post 12974996)
I think I saw these at Harbor Freight for $40

ARed

AAh But on those-The wheels did not fall off:innocent:

Looks a neat solution to a perenial problem.

Have to admit that I do not like hanging bikes from wheels- but many of us do it without problems. May even be better than hanging mine from the rafters by hooking the saddle over a beam.

NOS88 07-23-11 01:47 PM

Now that you have more room, does N+1 begin to creep into your thinking? :innocent:

DnvrFox 07-23-11 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaRed (Post 12974994)

No

DnvrFox 07-23-11 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12975045)
Now that you have more room, does N+1 begin to creep into your thinking? :innocent:

I just did a +1 last week. I think 1 every week is a bit too much!! :)

JanMM 07-23-11 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaRed (Post 12974994)

If you hang the bike from the rear wheel, all the blood rushes to the head tube and causes a head tube ache.

Louis 07-23-11 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 12975487)
If you hang the bike from the rear wheel, all the blood rushes to the head tube and causes a head tube ache.

:lol::beer:

There is more stress on a wheel when the bike is being ridden than when hung by the wheel.

JanMM 07-23-11 08:39 PM

Bicycle wheels don't know what stress is.:twitchy:

Retro Grouch 07-24-11 05:52 AM

Cool! Did you weld that up yourself? I'm prticularly impressed by mounting the whole thing on castors so you can rotate it to get bikes from the other side or even push the whole assembly out of the way into a corner.

Will it hold your recumbent? Do us all a favor and, after about 6 months, let us know if you still like it and what, if any, changes you would make to the next one.

DnvrFox 07-24-11 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 12977591)
Cool! Did you weld that up yourself? I'm prticularly impressed by mounting the whole thing on castors so you can rotate it to get bikes from the other side or even push the whole assembly out of the way into a corner.

Will it hold your recumbent? Do us all a favor and, after about 6 months, let us know if you still like it and what, if any, changes you would make to the next one.

I comes as a kit, bolted together. No welding. Took about an hour for me to assemble. There are a few things whoever wrote the directions forgot to write down, so had to redo one section. I doubt it will hold the recumbent.