Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Pearl iZUMi's... AWESOME shoe! Third ride on my Allez! 22.45 miles. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/754183-pearl-izumis-awesome-shoe-third-ride-my-allez-22-45-miles.html)

JimTjr 07-23-11 01:17 PM

Pearl iZUMi's... AWESOME shoe! Third ride on my Allez! 22.45 miles.

Well, I bought my bike shorts, shoes, 3 pocket Bondtrager jersey, Bontrager shorts, and Bontrager helmet.
Had to go for my third ride today, after riding last weekend in Dockers and regular tennis shoes, 18.7 miles. I HAD to outdo that today, I'll say my legs feel better today after my ride than they did last Sunday after the 18.7 mile ride. 95* when I started, 97* at the stop, with a "Feels like 107*" heat index.
I had to safe two rides in Mapmyride, because I nearly deleted the first. So I just saved the first leg at a short stop. Then started again before I left.
22.45mi 1:41 and 40 seconds. (With 3-4 stops of at least 2 minutes without pausing the Mapmyride. (Just to pull over, get water and start back up) Not confident reaching behind me to get my bottle out of my jersey yet!

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/57247024

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/57256082

RonH 07-23-11 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Couldn't see your ride data. ---> http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=211724

Originally Posted by JimTjr (Post 12974932)
(Just to pull over, get water and start back up) Not confident reaching behind me to get my bottle out of my jersey yet!

:wtf: You don't use bottle cages? :twitchy: Much easier to carry water and very easy to remove the bottle and drink while riding. No stopping necessary.

JimTjr 07-23-11 01:26 PM

Yea, two cages, plus one bottle on my back, I drank it first. So had to stop a couple times. Guess I should have drank one from the cage and swapped places when it was empty,,:lol:

Made the data public, did that help?

RonH 07-23-11 01:29 PM

Three bottles for 22 miles is kind of over doing it. I drink one for every 10-12 miles in the summer months.
If you want to carry more water for longer rides and you have no place to refill your bottles try using a Camelbak.

JimTjr 07-23-11 01:32 PM

Well, I don't FEEL like I over did it! LOL, could I have gotten by with less, more than likely. However I was not sweating allot until I stopped. (Maybe because of the wind?, even though it was a 97* wind!)

JimTjr 07-23-11 01:43 PM

I have a very little bit of numbness in my left cheek bone area, I don't THINK I have any numbness in the privates, stupid question, but when you have that perinial numbness,,, does "He" go numb? Or what?
I have some fitting to do I think for sure.. also a little numbness in the hands,, I spent probably 5-6 miles out of the last 9 mile section on the AEROS! And LOVED IT! I really like those things, that leg had a headwind of probably 3-5 mph,, I was going south that whole leg. The Aeros helped me maintain 12+mph for that section.

NOS88 07-23-11 01:45 PM

One of the things I like about many sports is that the equipment typically evolves to be highly functional for the specific activity for which it was designed. Almost every time I zip up a jersey I think about how cool it is that a shirt with three pockets in the rear makes sense for the kind of cycling I do. Hope you enjoy the daylights out of your new equipment.

freedomrider1 07-23-11 02:45 PM

Riding gloves, that will greatly help yours hands.sounds like you are having a good time.

RonH 07-23-11 02:50 PM

+1 on the gloves.
Don't order them online. Go to a few bike shops and try on several pairs/styles/brands so you'll know how they feel and you can get a look at the padding, etc.

RonH 07-23-11 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JimTjr (Post 12974932)
95* when I started, 97* at the stop, with a "Feels like 107*" heat index.

Try riding earlier in the day to avoid the high heat. It can be very exhausting.

JimTjr 07-23-11 04:04 PM

Yea,I know earlier would be much smarter, but the LBS didn't open until 10am, he installed my cleats on the shoes, then put me on the trainer to "clip in and out" as long as I wanted. (Did a dozen or so, got the idea.) It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be when I first did it. I thought, How in the heck am I going to do this? But soon figured out the position to be in and those Speed Play pedals are easy to get into and out of. I like them allot. I am sure others like their different kinds, and I don't have anything to compare to, but these are just fine for my purpose. I tried on the jersey, and shorts, put three different brands of shoes on, tried these on first, then Bontragers, and a pair of Shimano's... I went back to these and wore them for probably 20 minutes before I told him, "install the clips please." My feet felt very good after the ride today. Anyway, by the time I got things purchased, got back to my camper, dressed and took off, it was after Noon,,,

teachme 07-23-11 07:45 PM

Congratulations on your ride!

Robert Foster 07-23-11 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by JimTjr (Post 12975028)
I have a very little bit of numbness in my left cheek bone area, I don't THINK I have any numbness in the privates, stupid question, but when you have that perinial numbness,,, does "He" go numb? Or what?
I have some fitting to do I think for sure.. also a little numbness in the hands,, I spent probably 5-6 miles out of the last 9 mile section on the AEROS! And LOVED IT! I really like those things, that leg had a headwind of probably 3-5 mph,, I was going south that whole leg. The Aeros helped me maintain 12+mph for that section.

Not always but you will know when or if it happens. Soreness is more like it and maybe a touch of stinging. Most often it goes away after a while not on the bike. Just look up where the Perineum and see where it is and you will know when you have a problem with it.:eek:

John_V 07-24-11 09:30 AM

Also a good idea to keep adjusting your position on the saddle and standing up on the pedals whenever you get the chance so that "He" gets some relief from being in under pressure.

JimTjr 07-24-11 12:24 PM

I dipped the nose down a couple turns of the adjusting screws backed the rear one off two turns, and cranked the front one down. (I watched the nose of the seat dip probably 1/8-3/16" Think this should help any?

CraigB 07-24-11 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JimTjr (Post 12975028)

When it happens to me (which isn't often), it all goes numb. I liken it to someone taking a great big art-gum eraser and just wiping out that whole area of your body. It's a weird sensation, and one you can't possibly mistake when it happens.

JimTjr 07-24-11 01:27 PM

I gotcha, no I didn't have that happen, I was shifting at the end a little side to side, that's probably why my left cheek got sore/numb. I guess it couldn't have been NUMB and Sore,, LOL,, but it wasn't comfortable. I'm going to ride later this afternoon. when it cools down a tad. I planned on shooting for a FAST 10 miles, see what kind of pace I can make. Instead of trying for 20 again. I'll be pretty thrilled if I can do 18mph or so for 10.
That's if my seat holds up!