Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How much will an out-of-true wheel slow you down?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 07:55 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts

OK, I'm going to show my bike mechanics ignorance here. Kind advice will be appreciated.

Early on a club ride tonight, I hit a big pothole going fast and immediately afterwards I felt increased resistance. Nothing seemed to be terribly wrong, though I did wonder whether a spoke had broken or a rim cracked and how I would know without stopping to inspect (should I have?). Anyway, I completed the ride without incident. It was (for me) a very fast ride, averaging about 21 MPH over 29 miles. I did more wheel sucking than I might have otherwise, in part because my bike now felt just a little slow.

Anyway, after the ride I checked the wheels - there are no broken spokes or rim cracks, but the rear wheel is now out of true, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't before the ride.

How much effect could that have on the bike? Does an out-of-true wheel generate appreciable aerodynamic resistance?
Old 07-22-11, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
OK, I'm going to show my bike mechanics ignorance here. Kind advice will be appreciated.

Early on a club ride tonight, I hit a big pothole going fast and immediately afterwards I felt increased resistance. Nothing seemed to be terribly wrong, though I did wonder whether a spoke had broken or a rim cracked and how I would know without stopping to inspect (should I have?). Anyway, I completed the ride without incident. It was (for me) a very fast ride, averaging about 21 MPH over 29 miles. I did more wheel sucking than I might have otherwise, in part because my bike now felt just a little slow.

Anyway, after the ride I checked the wheels - there are no broken spokes or rim cracks, but the rear wheel is now out of true, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't before the ride.

How much effect could that have on the bike? Does an out-of-true wheel generate appreciable aerodynamic resistance?
Pothole, eh, you probably bent the rim, so that it's rubbing the brake on one side or the other, if the bend is slight then the spokes on one side can be tightened more and loosened slightly on the other side to pull it back to true. An emergency repair is to loosen the brake cable slightly to widen the shoe to rim gap, so that it stops rubbing, but remember that this reduces braking efficiency. This is a temporary stop-gap repair and the wheel should be taken to a shop for inspection and truing.
Old 07-22-11, 08:12 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Pothole, eh, you probably bent the rim, so that it's rubbing the brake on one side or the other, if the bend is slight then the spokes on one side can be tightened more and loosened slightly on the other side to pull it back to true. An emergency repair is to loosen the brake cable slightly to widen the shoe to rim gap, so that it stops rubbing, but remember that this reduces braking efficiency. This is a temporary stop-gap repair and the wheel should be taken to a shop for inspection and truing.
No, the brake pads aren't touching the rim - that was the first thing I thought of. I will likely take the wheels in to the shop tomorrow.
Old 07-22-11, 08:17 PM
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the pads aren't rubbing, maybe you got a slow leak due to a tube pinch, or the bearings are damaged. I can't think of anything else that would make you feel slower. I don't think the air resistance would change significantly when out of true in a minor way.
Old 07-22-11, 09:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Sounds like it made you go faster.
Old 07-22-11, 11:44 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Some one has mentioned it but if the bike was slower after wards- check the bearings. Not the bearings but the axle. Solid axles with nuts have a habit of bending with just normal use and I have come across QR axles that have been bent. Threw the wheel right out of kilter and gave the appearance of bent rim.

And I have seen rims bent so far that they would not turn within the forks- let alone brake blocks. Retruable by my wheel builder but Get him to check for any damaged spokes. Surprising how soon after a "BIG" hit- spokes start breaking.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-22-11, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Surprising how soon after a "BIG" hit- spokes start breaking.
I hate to use a trite phrase, but "this."

I do have to question the comment that your wheel is wobbly, but yet it isn't touching your brake pads. I, and most other riders I've ever observed, usually have the brakes tightened to within a gnat's-rectumn's-width of touching. If you can have a wobbly wheel and it DOESN'T touch the brake...hmmm.
Old 07-23-11, 12:52 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For future reference, if you hit a pothole and immediately afterwards notice something different about the way your bike handles, you need to stop and check it out. Having a wheel out of true isn't necessarily a disaster, but what if the wheel was no longer properly seated in the drop-outs, or you'd cracked a fork, for example? If something is clearly wrong it's best to know what before beginning your next descent, or sprinting...
Old 07-23-11, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yes, you should've stopped to see what was making the bike feel different.

Running faster than normal equals more exertion than normal. This might've made the bike feel slow.

Brad
Old 07-23-11, 06:24 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I still have an old Specialized Crossroads bike that got hit by a car (me backing out of the garage). The front wheel seemed so bent it would have to be trashed but I was able to true it enough that it runs smooth. That was about seven years ago.
Old 07-23-11, 09:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never mind

Last edited by oldster; 07-23-11 at 10:19 PM. Reason: bad idea
Old 07-23-11, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does an out-of-true wheel generate appreciable aerodynamic resistance?
No. No aero difference. It won't slow you down unless the brake pads are rubbing or the tire is rubbing on the frame. BTW that can damage carbon frames and will rub paint off painted frames.

A broken spoke can flip out and wedge between the wheel and frame, damaging a carbon frame or causing the wheel to stop turning suddenly. But I have completed a long road race with a spoke that broke in the first couple miles and been ok- it stayed in place for the race. On rides I stop and twist the broken spoke around another spoke so it won't flap around. Usually that, and opening the quick release, is enough to finish the ride. A few times I have had to do a quick field retruing so the tire would not rub on the frame.
Old 07-23-11, 09:50 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... I, and most other riders I've ever observed, usually have the brakes tightened to within a gnat's-rectumn's-width of touching. If you can have a wobbly wheel and it DOESN'T touch the brake...hmmm.
Technically, I think a gnat's-rectum's-width gap between rim and pad is a little too close because should you descend a long hill w/ a fair amount of braking, the hands will be sure to let you know. Your point is well taken though; even if there's enough wobble to hit the pad(s), just rotate the QR until the rim clears.
Old 07-23-11, 10:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t4mv
Technically, I think a gnat's-rectum's-width gap between rim and pad is a little too close because should you descend a long hill w/ a fair amount of braking, the hands will be sure to let you know. Your point is well taken though; even if there's enough wobble to hit the pad(s), just rotate the QR until the rim clears.
LOL... I am a little different in that I don't have a lot of hills around me and more importantly, my hands are the size of canned hams, so reach and such is never a problem. Just like in my automobiles, I like a brake that is "firm" without a lot of pedal/lever travel.
Old 07-24-11, 05:36 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerBeagle
If the pads aren't rubbing, maybe you got a slow leak due to a tube pinch, or the bearings are damaged. I can't think of anything else that would make you feel slower. I don't think the air resistance would change significantly when out of true in a minor way.
Agreed. I'd look into tire pressure immediately.

This is why I carry a Park Tool spoke wrench in my seat bag. Havent had to use it during rides but it's there in case. I hate it when rims are out of true....especially when so much time is spent staring at the front one. Oh wait, that's why we hit potholes
Old 07-24-11, 11:51 AM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a century last month (report here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ort?highlight=) and due to crash @ 10 mile mark, did the rest with a wobbly front wheel. Had to flip the brake QR to prevent rubbing on the brake. Otherwise, I didn't think it slowed me down at all.
Old 07-24-11, 02:45 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
5 of us out on a ride this morning and we started from my house. I maintain my bike and one other but as one rider arrived I heard an intermittent brake noise. Checked his back wheel and it was out of true. 2 minutes later and it was true. Son-in-Law arrived and he said his rim was bent so passed him the spoke tool. 5th turned up and I decided to check his wheels as a precaution. No problem. He had just put his wheels in for an annual service and had 5 spokes replaced and new bearings.

Wheels go out of true very easily if you are offroad or hit potholes. Luckily a little bit of out of true will not be noticed but it does get worse if not attended to.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-25-11, 08:13 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by DGozinya
I do have to question the comment that your wheel is wobbly, but yet it isn't touching your brake pads. I, and most other riders I've ever observed, usually have the brakes tightened to within a gnat's-rectumn's-width of touching. If you can have a wobbly wheel and it DOESN'T touch the brake...hmmm.
+1
Coincidentally, on yesterday's ride my wife's Mavic Ksyrium Elite popped a spoke during a JRA and her wheel immediately went so out-of-true that it almost caused the bike to stop on teh proverbial dime. Opening the brake caliper's quick release did nothing to alleviate the problem; we had to loosen the brake cable and take out all the slack to get the pads far enough away from the rim so she could ride to the bike shop.**

Ordinarily my pads are a 2 or 3 credit cards' width away from the rims. I want the full range of modulation available.

** Incidentally, the oft-touted and seemingly apochryphal advice to avoid proprietary/exotic wheels due to the unliklihood of finding replacement parts when out on the road proved true yesterday. We were lucky to find a bike shop 3 miles away from where teh spoke popped, but despite having an enormous assortment of spare spokes in their inventory they did not have any exact replacements for a Mavic Ksyrium Elite. The shop mechanic actually had to make a spoke for my wife's wheel! He took a stock (non-proprietary) spoke, cut the end off, and tapped (threaded?) a new end so it would fit a Mavic nipple. Really impressive McGyvering...especially for a Sunday afternoon in the middle of nowhere. Guy was a real life-saver.

No more proprietary wheels for us. Conventional round spokes, please...and plenty of them.