Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Does size really matter?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Does size really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 09:18 PM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does size really matter?

I keep hearing all this chatter about fit being so important and the perfect fit being crucial to a zen-like ride. I collect old steel road bikes I find at garage and estate sales and regularly ride a range of bikes from about 58 or 59cms to my most recent which is a 52cm. Granted, I do have a preferred distance from seat to pedal, but everything else is negotiable. As long as I've got the right extension on my legs, I'm good to go. I'm about 5'8" and almost 62 yrs, so I'm no young sprout. Am I the only one like this, or are there others who aren't fussy about bike size?
-- Leon Briggs
Old 07-29-11, 09:22 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
How long are your rides?

Old 07-29-11, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
No, it wouldn't work for me.
Old 07-29-11, 09:54 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ticwanos
Does size really matter?
Yes.

Riding a bike that doesn't fit well might not cause problems immediately, but over time it very well could.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-29-11, 10:27 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only if you're too small. Okay, I do agree with you: We're mostly adaptable. But I think that there's a certain point that fit goes to an extreme and things aren't right. If the bike's too long, too short, too-something for your body, you may have endurance problems. But most important is seat height, position and angle.

I'm 6'4" but my inseam is only 32" - so my legs are pretty average, while my arms and torso are longer than average.

New twist: My left knee is going out and my left leg is consequently getting shorter. An orthopedic surgeon has me wearing inserts in my left shoes now days. That tells me that the left crank arm on my bike might need to be shorter than the right.
Old 07-29-11, 10:42 PM

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Mirage, 1987 Peugeot Tourmalet, EZ Racer recumbent, 1994 Trek Singletrack 930, 1999 Canndondale SuperV500SL, 2001 Gunnar Crosshairs , 2009 Gunnar Roadie.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost seem like a troll. Sure fit matters. Sure with some adaptions you can ride larger or smaller by a good bit. But over any sizable distance a good fit is obviously a big improvement over the wrong sizes.
Old 07-29-11, 10:48 PM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
How long are your rides?
I got into riding fairly seriously about 7 years back and normally ride with a core casual group for about 30 to 40 miles, one or two times a week. On my own, I'll frequently hammer out a quick 15 before work in the morning, depending on how early it gets light and what my schedule is like. When I cycle commute to work, its seven miles, one way. Or, if I have the time on a weekend and am feeling froggy, do 30 to 50 on the country roads north and east of Dallas. I've done a number of metric centuries, but the only full century I've done was the hotter'n hell hundred a couple years ago. I live most of the time in north Texas, but we are renovating an old house in NE Oklahoma for retirement. There, I'll frequently do 20 to 40 miles, either on my own or with a local group, over some rather serious Ozark hills/mountains. I mention all this because, tho I am not in the league with those who'll ride a century every Saturday, I'm a fairly experienced endurance rider accustomed to hot and hilly terrain. I like to mix up the bikes from ride to ride, because they each have unique personalities.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 07-30-11, 12:59 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Both my road bikes are 51cm and as such they were aquired not for frame size but for Top tube length and seat angle. I seem to like a TT length of 535mm and seat angle of 73/74. With those two measurements I can get the saddle in the right position and reach to the bars will be right. But I can ride and set up my Son-in-Laws 54 and in fact it was bought for me initially as a cheap bike.

The blue bike is the 54 and the white one is the 51. The black one is the 49 that had to be adapted to fit me.

My first road bike was a 49 and I rode that for a year as my introduction into road riding. But the rule of why the first bike being bought did apply. It was only there to tell me what my second bike should be. It was too small and I never really got comfortable on the thing. Second bike and 3rd bike and I knew the reach I wanted- could get the saddle position right and also knew the quality I wanted. I had not ridden the first bike for a few years but as I was selling it- I had to check it out for the new buyer and I just don't know how I managed to do so much on it. That frame is just a bit too small and I am cramped up on it. Back ache came in fairly quickly and even a bit of hand and neck ache. My Sils bike does have a TT that is only a few MM longer than my bikes and as such can be set up for me. I have to reach for the bars a bit but that could be adapted with a shorter stem and I can get the saddle in the right position.

My feeling is that frame size is not important. In fact if you look at the geometry of one particular size of frame from maker to maker- you will find differences in any case. What does matter is that you have to be able to get the saddle in the right position in relation to the pedals and those bars have to be at the right height and distance away from you. If you can manage that then the bike will be good for you.

But you only have one body that does not change much from week to week. There will be a Frame geometry and size that will suit you perfectly. Once that frame has been set up for you- it will be your fit. Change a couple of things from that perfect frame and you will have to make compromises and they can eventually come back and hit you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
B4a.jpg (91.7 KB, 17 views)
B7.jpg (76.2 KB, 17 views)
B3.jpg (54.0 KB, 16 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 07-30-11, 05:19 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I react like you do to various bikes I ride (within a range, not huge differences). I suspect fitting matters a lot over distance. But I can't feel what is right so I can't figure out what, if any, adjustments I should make other than seat height. That leaves me stuck getting a fitting and hoping some pro has correctly judged what is good for me.
Old 07-30-11, 05:42 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ticwanos, Fit is more than just about the frame size as there are many alterations that can be made for tailoring one's fit. I, and I suspect most riders can have a maximum working range of 3-4 cm in seat tube length, but less so in top tube length. I ride 56-58 cm sized frames and wouldn't consider a 52 cm bike. I've ridden my daughter's and sister's 50-52 cm frames after tune ups for system checks and that's as far asI'll go on them.

Brad
Old 07-30-11, 05:50 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does size really matter?

OK, I'll say it... "She says it does"
Old 07-30-11, 06:32 AM
Ol' Paint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is a representative sampling of sizes. There are other regular riders (I have the MOST understanding wife!), but this gives you an idea of the range. I don't think I could easily do larger..or smaller.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 07-30-11, 06:37 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I guess one can ride just about anything!!

Old 07-30-11, 10:04 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I won't say yes and I won't say no. I will say to get a professional bike fit, such as a Retul fitting, and then do the same rides after the fitting that you are doing now. Then come back and answer this question.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-02-11, 05:31 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I keep hearing all this chatter about fit being so important and the perfect fit being crucial to a zen-like ride. I collect old steel road bikes I find at garage and estate sales and regularly ride a range of bikes from about 58 or 59cms to my most recent which is a 52cm. Granted, I do have a preferred distance from seat to pedal, but everything else is negotiable. As long as I've got the right extension on my legs, I'm good to go. I'm about 5'8" and almost 62 yrs, so I'm no young sprout. Am I the only one like this, or are there others who aren't fussy about bike size?
Lots of people "think" it doesn't matter, but they are usually people who have never ridden a well fitting bike, and once you ride one that is dialed in perfectly, you will never again want to ride a bike that doesn't. Simply because things don't bother you, and your performance is better. I was recently able to raise the bars on the MTB by 5cm, it's like a whole different bike.
Old 08-02-11, 05:37 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Have you come over to the Classic and Vintage forum here? There's a bunch of us that love, refurb and collect these old gems....and more importantly, ride them.
Old 08-02-11, 05:41 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

I could deal with a strange bike as long as the leg-bend fit was good. That doesnt mean I'd like the ride, though. Like others, I get so accustomed to my bike that all others feel strange. I continually hammer, cruise and day-tour with my Trek 460. It's race geometry, cramped, but it's light, quick and crisp in response. All other bikes will feel like hybrids or mountain bikes to me when comparing.
Old 08-02-11, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I guess one can ride just about anything!!

What a Fred! He needs a kit.
Old 08-02-11, 06:33 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
In my case, fit does matter. Then again, I'm a test of the fitter's skill. :-(

Old 08-02-11, 06:39 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
And, no HELMET!!
Old 08-02-11, 07:12 AM

And, no HELMET!!
Next thing you know he will be sporting an Iphone with earbuds.
Old 08-02-11, 05:33 PM
Charlotte, NC Commuter

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo with Mammoth wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next thing you know he will be sporting an Iphone with earbuds.
Do those shoes come in clipless?

Ride safe,

Jeff
Old 08-03-11, 06:29 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And, no HELMET!!
Do I see a goathead thorn in that front tire?
Old 08-03-11, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is a representative sampling of sizes. There are other regular riders (I have the MOST understanding wife!), but this gives you an idea of the range. I don't think I could easily do larger..or smaller.
I notice that the saddle height is similar on those three bikes.

I think a good analogy might be the 'fit' of shoes.
As long as you can get your foot into the shoe, you can walk to the refrigerator. The closer that the fit approximates a 'correct' size for you, the more you can comfortably walk/jog/run.

If you plan on doing more than walking to the mailbox or around the block, a better fit will make a big difference. Planning on training or running a 10k, half marathon or longer? The 'fit' of the shoe becomes even more important. Some folks need, in addition to the correct size & width, stability- and or motion control in their shoe's construction in order to avoid knee, hip, and/or back issues. Of course some folks are fine with a 'neutral' shoe.

Flip-flops can get you to your car, but you wouldn't want to hike Mt. Whitney in them.
Old 08-03-11, 03:14 PM
Ol' Paint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been off the grid for a while and just got back online. Thanks for a thoughtful discussion. I was just curious if anyone other than myself is adaptable to different sized bikes. I must admit to now having a vague curiosity as to what difference a "perfect fit" might make, since my original premise is that I can be perfectly comfortable on a wide range of sizes as long as the leg extension is right. Denver, that picture says it all!! Words fail. @ OldsCool...I've been lurking a long time on the C&V forum. C&V and Plus 50 are the best forums here (IMHO).
-- Leon Briggs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.