Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's best bike riding experience near Rochester,NY?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-31-11, 02:24 PM
colpatrick

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotten into bike riding for exercise and enjoyment in a medium big way since the end of tax season this year.

At 653 miles as of yesterday, I'm much more confident that I will reach my goal of 1000 miles by 11-1, than I was on 7-1.

probably spilt the mileage pretty evenly between our suburban housing track and the Erie Canal. Am disappointed that the canal path is only paved between Chili and Pittsford, and pretty much down thru the city between Genesee Valley Park and Lake Ontario.

Any additional ideas for safe,clean rides around Rochester?

( rode once between Pittsford and Fairport on the crushed stone and gravel; my bike looked like a sugar-coated donut after those 4 miles...)

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-11, 03:37 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by colpatrick View Post
Gotten into bike riding for exercise and enjoyment in a medium big way since the end of tax season this year.

At 653 miles as of yesterday, I'm much more confident that I will reach my goal of 1000 miles by 11-1, than I was on 7-1.

probably spilt the mileage pretty evenly between our suburban housing track and the Erie Canal. Am disappointed that the canal path is only paved between Chili and Pittsford, and pretty much down thru the city between Genesee Valley Park and Lake Ontario.

Any additional ideas for safe,clean rides around Rochester?

( rode once between Pittsford and Fairport on the crushed stone and gravel; my bike looked like a sugar-coated donut after those 4 miles...)

Thanks in advance.

Many, many options. :-)

Riding Rt. 31 from Fairport through Macedon, for example, gives you very wide shoulders and not much in the way of traffic. You can make it an out-and-back, or take the canal path back. There are gently rolling hills, which make things a little more interesting than the towpath.

You can also grab a map and check out any of the roads north of Penfield Road in the Penfield/Webster area. Almost no traffic, and lots of options for routes.

If you join the Rochester Bicycling Club, they have a CD full of routes with elevation info, cue sheets, etc, which you might find useful.

Do you have a particular area and/or terrain that you're interested in?
Old 07-31-11, 04:05 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts
Sure, you can start at the top of the 390 bike trail at 390 and Ridge Rd. Work your way North to the end at Island Cottage Rd. Head East on the new LOSP trail that runs along the North side of the Park Way to the beach. Then South up the river trail to lake avenue. Into Holy Sepulcher Cemetery and work your way back to the start point in mostly light traffic neighborhoods. The cemetery itself is a find place to bike for a few hours.

You could also go to Braddock Bay from the end of the 390 trail from Island Cottage RD and then ride the other part of the top paragraph or back up to Ridge Rd.

There's also a trail, sidewalks the you can take east from the beach over the O'Rourke bridge to Durand park and up to seabreeze.

The 590 trail runs from Titus Ave to the end of Irondequoit Bay.

There's Spencerport and Brockport on the canal, crush stone.

You'll have to figure out how you'll get into the area, bike down the canal to, Lee rd. Or bring the bikes down by car to a start point.

I'm sure you can hook up with myself or Cranky for a tour.
Old 07-31-11, 04:14 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
You'll find very little in R-Town in terms of paved paths. With the exception of the northern section of the Riverway, from Riverside Cemetery to Charlotte, and the southern section from Scottsville Road downtown to the Dinosaur, you've exhausted it.

Wait, I guess the 390 trail from 104 to the Parkway is paved, and there are a couple of miles along the Parkway too. Ask Cranky about those. That's his neck of the woods.

Otherwise, you'll need to extend your comfort zone into either dirt and gravel paths or lightly trafficked streets.

Although now that I've mentioned cemeteries, Mt Hope Cemetery is a favorite of mine. There are 14 miles of roads within the 196 acre cemetery. On the east bank of the river, take the Riverway just north of the underpass under Elmwood Ave, cut through the UofR Campus on Trustee Rd, where you pop up from the underpass. Left at the top, then a quick right on the the cobbled sidewalk (look for the crosswalk, and watch out for students!) will take you behind the powerhouse to the sidewalk on Elmwood. The south gate is just 100 yards from there.

For other trails, (remembering that they're unpaved) go to your library and order in a copy of Take your bike : family rides in New York's Finger Lakes region or click this link to the library catalog and order it online.

Mulveyr's suggestion of joining the Rochester Bicycling Club is a good one. The RBC is composed mainly of 40+, 50+, 60+, and 70+ riders interested mainly in recreational riding. The main ride calendar is here. We have a Slow And Easy ride series that may be right up your alley. The CD that comes with your membership has nearly 400 rides mapped out. And your membership card is good for discounts at all the LBSs.

If you can ride weekdays, check out our Day Riders group. It's mainly retirees and lot of the west side rides are rated for 10-12 mph average. Rides are scheduled only a day or two in advance, as leaders decide where they want to go. Add yourself to the email list and get notices as new rides are added.

If you prefer solo, Edgemere Drive along the lake in Greece is nice, lightly trafficked and flat. You can park at the Braddock's Bay State Park, and ride to Beach Ave then to Charlotte. There's only the one hill near Russel Station.

EDIT: Gyro slipped in as I was composing. He has some good stuff.

Last edited by tsl; 07-31-11 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 06:28 PM
colpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Otherwise, you'll need to extend your comfort zone into either dirt and gravel paths or lightly trafficked streets.

Although now that I've mentioned cemeteries, Mt Hope Cemetery is a favorite of mine. There are 14 miles of roads within the 196 acre cemetery. On the east bank of the river, take the Riverway just north of the underpass under Elmwood Ave, cut through the UofR Campus on Trustee Rd, where you pop up from the underpass. Left at the top, then a quick right on the the cobbled sidewalk (look for the crosswalk, and watch out for students!) will take you behind the powerhouse to the sidewalk on Elmwood. The south gate is just 100 yards from there.

For other trails, (remembering that they're unpaved) go to your library and order in a copy of Take your bike : family rides in New York's Finger Lakes region or click this link to the library catalog and order it online.

Mulveyr's suggestion of joining the Rochester Bicycling Club is a good one. The RBC is composed mainly of 40+, 50+, 60+, and 70+ riders interested mainly in recreational riding. The main ride calendar is here. We have a Slow And Easy ride series that may be right up your alley. The CD that comes with your membership has nearly 400 rides mapped out. And your membership card is good for discounts at all the LBSs.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm kind of surprised we haven't crossed paths on the paths, yet.

Are you leading anymore RBC rides this season?

Thanks to you and Grumpy for all your info this season on these boards.
Old 07-31-11, 08:22 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by colpatrick View Post
I'm kind of surprised we haven't crossed paths on the paths, yet.

Are you leading anymore RBC rides this season?
I'm mainly a road rider. I commute once or twice a week on the Canalway from Pittsford to Chili Ave, and when I take my hilly route to work, which goes through Mt Hope Cemetery, then UR, the Riverway to the Canalway to Chili Ave. I don't start work until early afternoon, so I'm likely to be cycling through at or shortly after lunch time.

I'm leading two more RBC rides this season.

Sun Sep 11, 1pm Map #232, Pittsford-Ionia. 29 miles, 1,560 feet of climbing on small hills. Meets at Schoen Place. This is a regular ride, not a no-drop, which means pace will be 15-16 for the slow group, 18-19 for the fast group. I may be slower because it's the day after the Highlander Cycle Tour and I'm likely to be very, very sore.

Sun Oct 16, 10am Map #10, the Ten Parks Tour. 58 miles, (with 33 mile option), 2,380 feet of climbing on moderate hills. Includes a rest stop at Bushnell's Basin, and a lunch stop at Sea Breeze. Meets at Cobbs Hill Park by the pond and tennis courts. It's my favorite ride in all of RBC-land and I lead it twice a year, spring and fall.

The Ten Parks Tour is too long to be an official "Sweeps" ride, but I run it like one. I lead the ride from the rear and faster folks are welcome to take off ahead. Sweeps rides are intermediate-level rides--a step up from Slow and Easy--and as such, participants should be able to ride an average speed of at least 12 mph (20 mile ride in 1 hour 45 minutes or less). By adding some miles to this ride, I've helped several people achieve their first metric century (100 km, 62.14 miles).

Last edited by tsl; 07-31-11 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 08:35 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds like you need to mix things up a bit.

TSL's correct, Gyro and I know the NW quadrant north of the Ridge like the back of our hands. Between the two of us we have almost 120 years of life experience in this area. We know the trails, shortcuts, and traffic free roads intimately so it's no wonder that we cross paths on so many of our leisure rides.

Gyro's suggestions are "spot-on". You probably should use Charlotte Beach Park as your start-finish point. From there you have numerous options of loops or out and backs to the East, South, and West. You can include the numerous paved trails in the area in any of those rides. From Charlotte we have easy access to the Irondequoit Lakeside Trail along Lake Ontario from Durand Eastman Park to Culver Rd. at Sea Breeze, The 590 trail from the Bay outlet south to Titus, the lake Ontario State Parkway Trail from the river to Island Cottage Road, the 390 trail from Island Cottage Rd. to Ridge Road, and of course the Genesee river trail from the port south to Turning Basin Park, Seneca Park, Maplewood Park, and downtown.

My personal favorite is a nice peaceful cruise through Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, down the Genesee River Trail to the beach, Out to the end of the pier and back, then west along either Beach Avenue or the Lake Ontario State Parkway Trail to Island Cottage Road. From there it's a quiet ride between Lake Ontario and the string of ponds (Buck, Long, and Cranberry) to Braddock Bay. There are several places to stop and eat no matter which direction you choose and the best way to extend your riding distance capacity is to include a meal in your ride.

It's summer at the lake and things are happening. Weekends offer Volleyball leagues on the sand, swimming, boating, wind surfing, fishing....lost to see.

I hope Gyro and I have piqued your interest in our little slice of heaven. Feel free to e-mail me for specific directions if you wish, or just come on down and explore.
Old 07-31-11, 09:25 PM
colpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the "river ride" a couple Saturdays ago when it was so hot. Parked in the church parking lot near the Charlotte lighthouse; joined the trail below the lighthouse.

Surprised by how steep it was after Turning Point Park, but shouldn't have been considering we were heading towards the lower falls at driving park.

I rode up the north side of the cemetery and turned around near lake ave.It was about 3 miles total travel;bet I didn't have to pedal more than 1/2 mile on the way back!

I tried the parkway path til Dewey Ave,but the wind was against me and it was hillier than I expected. Got off at Dewey and went up Ling rd. To visit Lakeshore skating rink.Spent countless hours there with two kids who played hockey.The place looked prett good.Rode down Greenleaf next to Lakeshore golf,took Beach Ave. To Abbotts ;rode out to the end of the pier and back to the car.
Old 07-31-11, 09:27 PM
colpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think those rides are out of my league this year.10-12 miles an hour is my comfort level for now.
Old 07-31-11, 09:56 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're there!! 12 miles per hour is a very comfortable and perfectly fine speed for cruising along these routes. I've found that including stoplights, stop signs, and just stopping to drink in the view, a 12 mph pace will knock down about 10 miles in roughly an hour's time. The distance from Braddock Bay to the Port of Rochester is approx. 7 miles one way. You could easily do an out & back in 2 hours time or less at 12 mph. Of course you will probably find several reasons to dally along the way taking longer to do the ride, but what a great way to spend an afternoon. Gyro or I can send you details to avoid traffic and help block some of the winds by routing you onto Old Edgmere Dr.

Some mileage approximations for you to help plan some rides:
* From the Pelican's Nest along the river trail to the trail head at Lake Ave....3 miles
* From the River Trail along the Lake Ontario State Parkway Trail to Island Cottage Rd....3 miles
* From Ridge Rd. to lake Ontario State Parkway via 390 trail...4.5 miles

That hill up out of the Turning Basin is roughly 1 1/4 miles long. Good job climbing that bad old boy...it's the longest one we've got down here. If you can climb that, and Ling Rd. eastbound, you can do any of these rides that Gyro and I do.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 07-31-11 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 08:08 PM
colpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. We'll eventually find a time to get together.