Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Still At It!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Still At It!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still At It!

Just to let everyone know I am still riding my bicycle enjoying the fresh air & breeze that feels so good in my face. I am still riding the bicycle path which is about 3/4 mile in one big circle. I am riding around 4 times resting & hydrating for 5 mins 1 time after the 2nd go around. I go out early about 6:30 a.m. to avoid the crowds. There are less people & I figure I may as well develop better skills & get used to manuvering around them. I am outside for 1 hour & plan to do this 3-4 times per week.

I admit I feel more confident even with my knee & elbow pads on & think less about falling. My only small battle is bicycling up one particular upward incline putting my gear on 3-4 & pedaling a little harder. I am more familiar with the upward incline spots & the downward spots & use breaks & gears accordingly.

I'm really loving it & I'm even get used to the ugly knee scar that's slowly healing from my fall several weeks ago.

abengi
Old 08-03-11, 06:43 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Hi abenji. Glad the riding is going so well. Like you, I've found that riding early in the am is a great pleasure. I love the stillness and in my area, which has many salt water marshes, there will sometimes be a mist over the water that softens the scene like in a French impressionist painting. That is as close to Provencale as I'm likely to get. Also, really early, even if the air is, say 70 F degrees or so, it feels deliciously cool in the midst of mid-summer heat.
Old 08-03-11, 08:18 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As you spend more time on your machine, your skill will grow to the point where your actions become automatic - hills won't be so much of a wory, and you'll learn to anticipate obstacles you see. I am always aware of the possibility of falling, but also aware of the freedom that cycling gives me. I wish you many happy rides!
Old 08-04-11, 09:26 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Glad to hear that you are getting the hang of it and hanging in there. It takes awhile before you really get your confidence built up if you are concerned about falling all the time. The more you ride and become comfortable with the bike, the faster you will build your confidence. Before you know it, you'll have those pads off and you'll be riding everywhere. Keep up the good work and enjoy the rides.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-04-11, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Good to hear that things are coming easier. I was hoping that you would stick to it and get over that hard patch. It should be easier from here on out. Those hills should seem to flatten out in time. Some of it is technique, some of it is mental and some of it is just plain fitness.
Old 08-06-11, 03:16 PM
Ride like the wind!

Bikes: Trek 700 wsd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can sympathize, Abengi! I kept falling (on the same d*** knee) when I began riding with my old huge cruiser bike. I thought the problem was me, but then I bought a small Trek 700 (34cm frame) and suddenly I could control the bike without falling. It has made a world of difference, though I still have the purple scars on my knee from all those months ago.

Glad you are feeling more comfortable with your bike. The more we ride the better we get.
Old 08-06-11, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
You do know that at some point you'll look at those scars and smile?