Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Completed first Century today, and surprisingly, survived

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 08:19 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did the first full century of my biking career. Conversion from couch potato officially under way - just bought the bike and started riding on April 23. If I can do it, anybody can.

My 11-28 cassette, installed Friday, saved my tuckus from two of the nastiest hills I have ever seen, and eating and drinking faithfully the whole ride prevented the Bonk.

I didn't realize the ride registration fee didn't include an update to my dues for Club Tombay, so I had to pay homage to the pavement at the top of the major climb of the route. In doing so, I demonstrated that one should not attempt to unclip while braking down through 3mph, for all your unclip time gets used up fast. Gravity always wins.

It does feel funny - my goal was to hit the 100 mark in October, but peer pressure from my friends made me turn left and commit to the full 100 today. So will keep riding harder - I even found a shop in Alabama that will rent me a bike so I can do a metric with the local club when traveling this coming weekend.

The best news for me, is that my wife conquered 30 miles after being held back all summer by her doc, due to some heart rate issues. Passed the stress test Wednesday, and the off we go for her pr ride yesterday. I'm hoping I can retire some day so we can have even more time to ride together!
Old 08-14-11, 08:22 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
Did the first full century of my biking career. Conversion from couch potato officially under way - just bought the bike and started riding on April 23. If I can do it, anybody can.

My 11-28 cassette, installed Friday, saved my tuckus from two of the nastiest hills I have ever seen, and eating and drinking faithfully the whole ride prevented the Bonk.

I didn't realize the ride registration fee didn't include an update to my dues for Club Tombay, so I had to pay homage to the pavement at the top of the major climb of the route. In doing so, I demonstrated that one should not attempt to unclip while braking down through 3mph, for all your unclip time gets used up fast. Gravity always wins.

It does feel funny - my goal was to hit the 100 mark in October, but peer pressure from my friends made me turn left and commit to the full 100 today. So will keep riding harder - I even found a shop in Alabama that will rent me a bike so I can do a metric with the local club when traveling this coming weekend.

The best news for me, is that my wife conquered 30 miles after being held back all summer by her doc, due to some heart rate issues. Passed the stress test Wednesday, and the off we go for her pr ride yesterday. I'm hoping I can retire some day so we can have even more time to ride together!
Congratulations. Somehow I missed where the Century took place. Did it have a name?
Old 08-14-11, 08:24 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Congratulation.

Old 08-14-11, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Well done! Granny gears, fuel, and fluids do help on the long rides.
Old 08-14-11, 08:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great job! Both you and your wife had personal best rides. Time to celebrate.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 08-14-11, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Congratulations to both of you.
Old 08-14-11, 08:41 PM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-14-11, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!!

Peer pressure may have changed your plans, but you worked it out and know more about your abilities. Now that the rides behind you, gotta feel good knowing you did it.

What's with the Wet Oregon? Any chance this was the Covered Bride Bicycle Tour put on by MVBC? I was going to do this ride but started fighting a cold 5 days ago.
Old 08-14-11, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish
Congratulations!!

Peer pressure may have changed your plans, but you worked it out and know more about your abilities. Now that the rides behind you, gotta feel good knowing you did it.

What's with the Wet Oregon? Any chance this was the Covered Bride Bicycle Tour put on by MVBC? I was going to do this ride but started fighting a cold 5 days ago.
Yes, it was the Covered Bridge Tour. 5 of us rode together - one feller is in his mid-60's, I'm 53, had a 40 something and two 30 somethings. For four of us it was our first century - I had signed up for the 85, to skip the hills, but one of the young pups reminded me I'd have to face him at work on Monday and would catch a large ration if I bailed early.

Dunno what the ride in September will be, but October has the Harvest Century on the docket; however, if my wife decides to do the 40 miler in that one, I may change from the 100 to the 40 so we can ride together. She do be my favorite riding partner, and a shorter ride with her will take priority over my ego. She'll be doing centuries soon enough!
Old 08-14-11, 09:00 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Congratulations.

But why is it surprising that you survived? I have survived every century that I have completed.
Old 08-14-11, 09:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You never forget your first. Congrats!
Old 08-15-11, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it was the Covered Bridge Tour. 5 of us rode together - one feller is in his mid-60's, I'm 53, had a 40 something and two 30 somethings. For four of us it was our first century - I had signed up for the 85, to skip the hills, but one of the young pups reminded me I'd have to face him at work on Monday and would catch a large ration if I bailed early.

Dunno what the ride in September will be, but October has the Harvest Century on the docket; however, if my wife decides to do the 40 miler in that one, I may change from the 100 to the 40 so we can ride together. She do be my favorite riding partner, and a shorter ride with her will take priority over my ego. She'll be doing centuries soon enough!
Small world. I live in Albany, so got on the bike at noon, rode to the fairgrounds to check on the turnout, looked decent. Then proceeded to ride 42 miles of the route. Except for some afternoon wind, what a nice day for riding.
Old 08-15-11, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Well, since you are so far ahead of schedule, here's a new goal to set your sites on. Down in Eugene, we're beginning to organize an early summer double. That's metric and imperial. Both will be mostly in the O&C lands, so vanishingly small numbers of cars to contend with (I went over 50 miles between cars on Saturday out there). Of course, at the rate you're going you'll probably be way beyond mere doubles by next summer.
Old 08-15-11, 10:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish
Small world. I live in Albany, so got on the bike at noon, rode to the fairgrounds to check on the turnout, looked decent. Then proceeded to ride 42 miles of the route. Except for some afternoon wind, what a nice day for riding.
I am traveling a bit coming up, but since my wife usually works Saturdays, I try to put in a longer ride on Saturdays. PM if interested in joining a couple of non-hard-cases for weekend morning rides out Airlee/Kings Valley way.
Old 08-15-11, 10:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Well, since you are so far ahead of schedule, here's a new goal to set your sites on. Down in Eugene, we're beginning to organize an early summer double. That's metric and imperial. Both will be mostly in the O&C lands, so vanishingly small numbers of cars to contend with (I went over 50 miles between cars on Saturday out there). Of course, at the rate you're going you'll probably be way beyond mere doubles by next summer.
Sounds good to me! A "mere double", you say - ask my body this morning just how fast it things I am progressing! I will pay attention to things in Eugene for next summer - am finding the most wonderful thing about riding compared with running (aside from it doesn't hurt as much) is getting to see the countryside.
Old 08-16-11, 01:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am traveling a bit coming up, but since my wife usually works Saturdays, I try to put in a longer ride on Saturdays. PM if interested in joining a couple of non-hard-cases for weekend morning rides out Airlee/Kings Valley way.
Tried sending a PM and discovered I need 50 post first. You can always PM me or send an email to ezfish@gmail.com. BTW, I just started riding late May, so I'm still working on conditioning and pace is on the slow side (18mph and under). Also, I just turned 55 years young last week.
Old 08-16-11, 09:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just got better, too - my dear Bride is going to do the Harvest Century in Hillsboro with a friend - the 40 miler whilst I do the 100. So happy to see her enthused - we are doing a 20 mile ride together after my "official" ride in the morning tomorrow (and after we get that new cassette on the dear thing's bike with some extra teeth on that rear cog). I am truly blessed!