Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Road Rage Incident (with Consequences)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Yet Another Road Rage Incident (with Consequences)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 08:42 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a reason some people choose to be prepared to defend themselves. California's not good, but states like Arizona and many others allow concealed carry and give people alone a fighting chance for survival. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Old 08-15-11, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hope the DA where you live is better than the Alameda County DA was when a similar incident happened to my husband several decades ago. A motorist was upset with him for taking the lane in downtown Hayward (six lanes, all stop-and-go). As the roadway widened and the parked cars disappeared, he moved to the right to facilitate passing. A motorist chose to swerve over and nearly hit him. Then, at the next red light, the motorist got out and attempted to attack him. My husband blocked a few of the attempted blows and then just hung the fellow upside down (6'2", 185 lbs of martial artist vs 5'7" 140 lbs of moron). Had the attacker attempted to continue he would have had experienced a high-g encounter between the pavement and his head. When my husband let him go, the motorist got back into his Pinto and sped off. In spite of several witnesses who were willing to testify, all of whom positively IDed the attacker, the DA did not feel it would serve the public interest to prosecute. We still wonder if the world would have been better served if he would have given the little hot-head his just-desserts, but then we would have had to live with it.
Old 08-16-11, 02:31 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
Hopefully the DA will see it as a serious case and proceed with it. In cases like this I'd love to see the driver lose his license for 6 months so he's forced to ride a bike and get a taste of his own medicine.
I'd like to see the driver "sentenced" to riding a bicycle to work and home every day.
Old 08-16-11, 09:12 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Make sure he send a thank you note to the witness.
Ummm... no. In a potential criminal or civil prosecution, the plaintiff should NOT be contacting any witnesses. Not until after everything is concluded, at the very least.
Old 08-16-11, 11:07 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Just had one today--impatient drivers are too common--I wish drivers would understand how vulnerable cyclists are and give us space.

It is true that I should not respond to these ignorant low lifers and shrug them off--on the other hand one cannot ignore them--they are very dangerous!

I have added a bright front and rear flashing lights, yes it looks dorky on a real nice road bike (Serotta) it does help at times but obviously not always and certainly will not help in case of an accident--but I like to think it makes drivers notice me a little more--besides in Paris if you rent one those commuters bike (velib) a permanent white light is in the front.

Stay safe and wish a speedy recovery.
Old 08-17-11, 09:17 AM
Oldie but Newbie

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sprite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stories like this are troubling indeed. Yet they do happen and it is good to decide in advance how one will deal with an overwrought person.

I, too, am licensed to carry. But if I ever had to draw my firearm I would view it as either a signal failure on my part or have to recognize that I was dealing with a truly deranged person.

Teddy Roosevelt put it succinctly: "Speak softly but carry a big stick."

Speaking softly doesn't just mean to keep the volume down. It means to speak calming words.

In many cases the most calming words are words of apology. They needn't be insincere. "I'm sorry I angered you, I didn't mean too. I'll have to be more careful in the future. Sorry!"

Even if the guy is a total jerk I would be sorry I angered him. And I would (I hope) be more "careful" not too next time.

But if push comes to life-threatening 'shrug' I'd deal with the person so I am the one left standing. Better both, but if only one...

-don
Old 08-17-11, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I'm "challenged" by a motorist, I totally ignore them. That probably bugs them more than responding. It wasn't easy at first, but after you do this a few times, it becomes easier. My suggestion to you all is to just put your head down and ride on; that is, of course if you escape unscathed.

Last edited by Old Hammer Boy; 08-17-11 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtM
Unfortunately, losing a license doesn't always equate to not driving. Some continue to drive, just illegally.
Here in MA, people whose licenses have been suspended or revoked, and continue to drive, is a very serious problem. When they are caught, there is an arrest and a trip to the station, but if there are no outstanding warrants, they are released on their recognizance. The fine is a hundred bucks, whether it is the first time, or fiftieth.

That aside, I find it interesting that this particular JAM actually turned himself in. I wonder what brought that about?
Old 11-23-11, 04:16 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Here's an update to this, directly from the rider who was assaulted:

Some of you asked to hear the outcome of my run-in with the car driver on Canyon
Del Rey he plead guilty and was sentenced to 3 years probation, no contact with
me and 10 years of no gun ownership, I'm totally alright with the outcome case
closed.

I'm glad to see justice was served! I would have insisted that hot-head take anger management and do community service - educating other drivers on the rules of the road.
Jan
Old 11-23-11, 04:54 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Thanks for the update. Yes, it looks as if justice was served.
Old 11-23-11, 05:11 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad to hear your friend's husband is ok. Just a week or so ago there was a road rage incident in north Scottsdale, where one driver shot and killed another. There was a verbal exchange, then both pulled into parking lot. Without getting into details, the shooter was arrested, and, it was found he had 2 or 3 prior road rage incidents (which he may have caused).
I know I have been t'd off many times by drivers, but, I dont say anything if we happen to be at the next stop light at the same time, nor do I signal that they are #1 in my book. You just never know if it is someone who has a gun.
Old 11-23-11, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ItsJustAHill
Um...how are you going to prosecute when the victim has no interest? There was a case in our city where a man was stabbed following an altercation. He then walked 1/4 mile to a convenience store and collapsed, where someone called 911. When interviewed after surgery, he admitted to provoking the incident and declined prosecution. No arrests were made.
I'm not sure what that was all about but it's my understanding that a prosecution can take place in the interest of the State...especially when it involves violence.
Old 11-23-11, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by xizangstan
There's a reason some people choose to be prepared to defend themselves. California's not good, but states like Arizona and many others allow concealed carry and give people alone a fighting chance for survival. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
It is my understanding that here in CT anyone over the age of 60 is presumed to be at such a disadvantage when attacked by a younger person that the use of a lethal weapon in defense is (searching for a proper word here) more "acceptable" than if you were younger.

Last edited by bruce19; 11-24-11 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-23-11, 07:39 PM
VNA

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
I've found that there are idiots out there - men - who, while driving in a fit of rage think nothing of venting their wrath towards a woman cyclist, either. I've been the object of such vents. Hey, I'm little, but I can get quite feisty - and that's sure to get me in trouble one day...

It is so sad to read incidents like that, but ignorant, intolerant and overly aggressive drivers come in all shape and sex!

And they are everywhere, I have had my share so unfortunately like most of us had at one point or another!

Behind the steering wheel for some reason personality changes--or is it the true personality that comes true?
Old 11-23-11, 07:46 PM
VNA

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Sorry but cycling and guns don't go together because cycling is so peaceful! Particularly the after effect (endorphins and the well being)
Old 11-23-11, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
sarals, glad to hear the guy got what was coming to him. Thanks for the follow-up.
Old 11-23-11, 07:58 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VNA
Sorry but cycling and guns don't go together because cycling is so peaceful! Particularly the after effect (endorphins and the well being)
Old 11-23-11, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I refuse to respond. I refuse to respond. I.refuse.to.respond.........................

Old 11-24-11, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by VNA
Neither does hiking in the woods and serial killers but it happens. IMO that is the problem. Obviously it's an individual choice.
Old 11-24-11, 08:11 AM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I glad to hear that this story ended with justice for the bike rider. So many bike/car driver stories end with the driver getting away scot free.
Old 11-24-11, 08:14 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
Here's an update to this, directly from the rider who was assaulted:

Some of you asked to hear the outcome of my run-in with the car driver on Canyon
Del Rey he plead guilty and was sentenced to 3 years probation, no contact with
me and 10 years of no gun ownership, I'm totally alright with the outcome case
closed.

I'm glad to see justice was served! I would have insisted that hot-head take anger management and do community service - educating other drivers on the rules of the road.
Jan
The most important part of the post, IMHO.
Old 11-24-11, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just got back to the forums after a major trip. Glad to read the outcome and hope the knee does well.
Old 11-24-11, 09:13 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
I agree. And to me, the comfort that comes along with knowing I'm safe and 'insured' against certain types of harm is soooooo peaceful!
Old 11-25-11, 06:21 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
It's good to see the driver recieved some negative reaction from the justice system. Anyone who gets out of a car and assaults someone over a road rage incident probably has a need for some sort of supervision and definitely no contact with firearms. Temper, temper.
Old 11-25-11, 09:11 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The defense of "I just got caught up in the heat of the moment" is not going to fly for this jackarse motorist. He pre-mediated his actions. He stopped, exited his vehicle, and waited for the cyclist. I feel this should cost him his license for a long, long time besides the criminal charges of assault and battery. But, that is only what I think. Be interesting to see what the legal system does with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.