Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

27 miles - 73rd day post Hip

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-19-11, 08:45 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Call me a glutton for punishment, or dumb - yesterday went riding, and forgot to turn around til I made it to my old turn-around spot, wasn't doing too bad until bout the last seven miles (which killed my average speed). Was at almost an average of 8mph, but it sorta turned into a 'crawl' - so the average dropped to 6.6mph.

Total time (INC stops) was right at 7 hours. Had a blast! The stuff that hurt, hurt because of me, not the trike - sweet~!
Old 08-19-11, 08:52 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Congratulations!

Old 08-19-11, 02:25 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Rock on, Peter C. Rock on.
Old 08-19-11, 02:45 PM
drmweaver2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice. Keep on pedaling.

Doing it on an 8-speed Terratrike Rover?!? - more power to you!

Last edited by drmweaver2; 08-19-11 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 03:04 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Please keep us informed and keep posting. I love success stories. They make my day.
Old 08-20-11, 09:15 AM
Bluetail
2 soon old, 2 late smart

Bikes: Waterford ST-22, Bianchi Strada

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hip hip hooray!
Old 08-20-11, 12:01 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Good stuff. The more I hear these kind of stories the less I worry about my eventual hip replacement.
Old 08-20-11, 06:27 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took yesterday off, and went riding again today. Got 18 miles in, on the towpath, but I tried a new area North of Akron. It had some minor hills on the route compared to where I am used to riding, but I was able to do it OK. Just keeping at it. I just wish I could see an improvement in my knees - sure the hip is sore, but it's OK by the next day - it's the knees that make me lame.
Old 08-20-11, 06:32 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
Good stuff. The more I hear these kind of stories the less I worry about my eventual hip replacement.
I don't know what you ride, but in my case, I was approved to ride my trike by the third week. I could only do a mile or two at a time, with no mashing whatsoever - by the 5-6 week, I was doing 5-6 miles daily (flat ground) - and was still using a walker to walk at the time.

Fast forward to today - I can still hurt my hip when I do something like bring my leg up to swap shoes, stuff like that. But I am feeling much better already than I did before the surgery.
Old 08-20-11, 06:57 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 297 Posts
Peter, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about physio stuff but I know what works for me. I'm a big believer in stretching and exercise. Some years ago I was plagued for over a year by rotator cuff soreness from the serving motion of tennis. A chiropractor gave me a series of stretches and exercises that instantly relieved the problem and over a few months pretty much eliminated it.

I have one knee that complains from time to time which is my cue to step up knee exercises. Since it is muscle and tendons that hold the body together, it is not only knee bending movements that strengthen knees, but lateral movements as well. There is so much free info available via the web, I'd spend a lot of time searching for what might work for you. It's my belief that maintaining strong legs and thereby mobility, is key to long term health.
Old 08-20-11, 07:09 PM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Please keep us informed and keep posting. I love success stories. They make my day.

here is a good one from the 41

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...eed-of-6.5-mph!
Old 08-20-11, 10:27 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner View Post
Peter, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about physio stuff but I know what works for me. I'm a big believer in stretching and exercise. Some years ago I was plagued for over a year by rotator cuff soreness from the serving motion of tennis. A chiropractor gave me a series of stretches and exercises that instantly relieved the problem and over a few months pretty much eliminated it.

I have one knee that complains from time to time which is my cue to step up knee exercises. Since it is muscle and tendons that hold the body together, it is not only knee bending movements that strengthen knees, but lateral movements as well. There is so much free info available via the web, I'd spend a lot of time searching for what might work for you. It's my belief that maintaining strong legs and thereby mobility, is key to long term health.
Very good points

After eight knee surgeries (the last being a TKR) - I have a mental list of exersizes that I do every morning before getting out of bed to take my pills. Just as the cycling itself is needed to 'lubricate' the joint as well. It's hard for me to get past the pain of standing/walking - even though I know it'll feel better once I start to ride.