Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How hot is too hot?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How hot is too hot?

Old 08-24-11, 01:03 PM
Rider98Glide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How hot is too hot?

I got out today at 80 and when I finished it was 90. I am riding 11 miles on fresh asphalt with the sun blazing, so I imagine road temp was 95+. I make 3 stops for a 1-2 minute water break. Yes, I was very hot. 96 out now. I am good with anything under 100. If I don't get myself out early then 90+ heat is my incentive for the next day.
Old 08-24-11, 01:25 PM
TheHen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sean Kelly was commenting on riding in the heat today during the Vuelta. He mentioned that the biggest factor for him now is the extra kilos he is carrying. I wonder if this is part of the reason I hear so many complaints about riding in warm weather now compared to thirty years ago; Americans are carrying a few more extra kilos now than was the norm back then.
Old 08-24-11, 01:28 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Hotter than that.

I have experienced very hot, extremely hot, demotivating hot and sweat denching hot so far this summer, but not too hot. The worst of it seems to have passed now. Forecast for today's ride is around 90 dropping to 80 with humidity in the mid 30s. Downright nice compared to what I was seeing every ride just a few weeks ago.
Old 08-24-11, 01:34 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
100 - 105 is the warmest temps I will ride in. If the temp is over 95, I cut back on the effort. I wear a camelbak that has plenty of ice in it, and for longer rides (25+) I have a bottle of Heed.
Old 08-24-11, 01:34 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If my tires melt on the pavement... I'm going home!
Old 08-24-11, 01:37 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Riding in heat is a problem- but you can get used to it.

High humidity and heat is a different matter though

Spike Milligan
Old 08-24-11, 01:39 PM
NOS88

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've never not ridden because of the heat. That includes several days a year with the heat over 100 and humidity over 90%. Now there are days when the air quality is so poor that I don't ride, ride very easily, or take very short rides. Those days feel harder to me that heat does.
Old 08-24-11, 02:00 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode in the 50s this morning. I think that temp is about right and almost too warm too be climbing hard. Anything more than 85 is too hot. I will say if the humidity is really low, like desert low, I can stretch the comfort range up a few degrees. I've never liked hot weather.
Old 08-24-11, 04:53 PM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
I've never not ridden because of the heat. That includes several days a year with the heat over 100 and humidity over 90%.
I will second this.
Just drink drink drink oh and drink a little more
Old 08-24-11, 05:12 PM
Wreader
Trying to stay upright.

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads ~1996

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How hot is too hot? Whatever it was today.
We had a big storm last night and got several inches of rain, so the ground is very wet, and it is humid. I knew it was going to be warm today, but it has been so nice, in the low 80s for a few weeks, so I thought, "how bad can it be?" and went for a ride. It was pretty hot. I went to the path in the town nearby and did seven miles. I did the under road instead of by-passing it like I did last week. I had thought that the climb on that one was too hard, but I decided to try it. If it was too hard, I reasoned, I could always walk. It turned out to be not as bad as I thought, and I was able to ride it all the way. By the time I got back to the car, I was really, really tired, and hot, and had a little hard time just lifting the bike to get it back onto the rack. I sat in the car for a few minutes, drinking water and eating a protein bar, but was still shaking and really weak, so after a few minutes, I felt strong enough to drive across to the McDonald's and had a fish sandwich and a coke. NOT what I was planning for, but I did not feel safe to drive home in the condition I was in at that point. I really gulped both down, and after about ten or fifteen minutes, I felt normal enough to drive home. I don't know if it was the heat, the humidity or the low blood sugar, or the combination of the three, but that was a tough ride, on a very hot day. When I got home, the thermometer on my back porch said it was 97*F.
I grew up in the desert, so this "hazy, hot, humid" midwestern weather is not something I enjoy. It really IS "not the heat, it's the humidity."
Old 08-24-11, 05:17 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
That is probably about my limit...

I have lived in the Deep South for over 35 years, I actually find it uncomfortable to ride when the RH is below about 30%...

When it gets hot like has been recently, I leave the hard heavy rides for the cooler part of the day, and if I have to ride during peak heat, I go slow, drink plenty of water and look for shady routes.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-24-11, 05:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 200 Posts
Went to the dentist this morning (prep work for a crown) and that was so much fun I went from there to the blood center to donate a unit of blood. I must say that both the dental team and the blood center tech were painless.
So, to keep the fun rolling along, I went out a few hours later for a ride in about 95F heat and sun.
Wasn't too hot, but that was because I took it fairly easy, drank up before and during the ride, and only rode ten miles.
Old 08-24-11, 06:12 PM
jmiked

Bikes: Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything over 90F is too hot for me. Lately, I hit the trails about 8AM, when the temp is 78-80F and ride for 60-90 minutes and then quit. Afternoons have been around 103-109F around here. It's still 90F around midnight.

I'm so looking forward to late September and early October for if not cooler, at least less hot weather.
Old 08-24-11, 06:22 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Bikes: Yuba Mundo; Early 70's Free Spirit (Reynolds 531) fixie; 80's Shogun 500; Mid 90's Iron Horse tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I went on a mid-day ride in D.C. one summer day when the temperature was well over 100F. One of the hottest days of the summer, and after that, heat didn't bother me for the rest of the summer.
Old 08-24-11, 06:38 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
+10

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-24-11, 08:13 PM
McCallum

Bikes: Trek multi-track 720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well 108-109 with a heat index of 114-118 hass not stopped me; the ride is shorter but I still ride. In fact I started riding because of the heat --- walking in those temps just got unbearable!!
Old 08-24-11, 08:20 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider98Glide View Post
I got out today at 80 and when I finished it was 90. I am riding 11 miles on fresh asphalt with the sun blazing, so I imagine road temp was 95+. I make 3 stops for a 1-2 minute water break. Yes, I was very hot. 96 out now. I am good with anything under 100. If I don't get myself out early then 90+ heat is my incentive for the next day.
Up to a point the heat doesn't matter that much as long as you stay hydrated. It's the humidity that is the killer since sweat can't cool the body if the humidity is to high.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 08-24-11, 08:21 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 115 Posts
I’ll ride in hot weather, but can feel the after-affects when the temperatures are above 92F. I live in the Midwest, so humidity is always a factor. The body does not cool itself when exposed to 95F or warmer weather. In 2010 I completed a century on the hottest day of the year, it hit 97F. It took a few days to normalize after that ride.

I also stay well hydrated and will carry and add HEED to my water. If the availabilty of water on route is an issue, I'll carry 3 or 4 bottles on the bike. Endurolytes tablets are carried for electrolyte replacement also.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-27-11 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-24-11, 08:40 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't much enjoy anything above 90 F unless the humidity is very low.
Old 08-24-11, 08:53 PM
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The day before yesterday my Garmin 800 indicated 107 for part of my ride. We have had more than 30 consecutive days above 100 in Houston.
Old 08-24-11, 09:14 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I rode at 102F (actual temperature) about three weekends back, and set no speed records. I started carrying one bottle of water and one bottle of gatorade instead of two bottles of gatorade. I poured the water over my head, refilled it at my rest stop, repeated, and refilled it for internal consumption. I make sure I take an Endurolyte at stops.
Old 08-24-11, 09:49 PM
Paul01

Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride shorter and easier when the temp is over 90 and the HI is over 100 which is most days in August in Florida.

Unfortunately, because of work, most days the earliest I can ride is elevenish and, more often, noon.
Old 08-24-11, 11:46 PM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
As I ride for fun and my own enjoyment, much above 85, even in our dry heat, starts making it less fun. A breeze can help but I don't enjoy dripping when I ride so I'm very much a fair weather cyclist.
Old 08-25-11, 07:01 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rider98Glide, I'm south of Houston, TX and while I have some of the sea breeze not available in most of Houston, it's still hit 103 degrees F a few times and my rides are just at a reduced pace/effort. I load the bike with three bottles, drink frequently and usually have about a half of a bottle left over.

One aspect is that while cyclists in this area are well acclimated to the heat, it's been the number of days in a row that are at, or nearly at record levels that take it's toll.

Brad

PS It isn't much better on a motorcycle in stop-and-go traffic. Nothing like my radiator fan blowing 220 degree F air onto my legs, the Harleys just drop a cylinder.

Last edited by bradtx; 08-25-11 at 07:03 AM. Reason: ps
Old 08-25-11, 08:01 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been riding most of the summer starting the rides at 95-97. I WILL NOT RIDE during the day. We always ride in the evenings, when you finish the ride and it is cooler than when you started. I don't like doing it the opposite and will not ride mid-day. I will ride hesitantly in the morning but do not like ending a ride with it being hotter than when I started.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 08-25-11 at 08:58 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.