Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Ladies are Reigning - even the 50+'rs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Ladies are Reigning - even the 50+'rs

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 09:12 AM

Bikes: 91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with many women in my club. We ride in pace lines and the women are strong riders. First and foremost they are friends and riding partners.
Old 08-28-11, 09:42 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
My wife bid on silent auction at a charity fund raiser and won a professional photo shoot. We had a lot of fun at the shoot. Here are a couple of our favorite pics.

Old 08-28-11, 10:06 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
There may be more women out cycling or joining cyling groups if they could trust that they were appreciated and respected for their cycling abilities rather than the way they look in their cycling shorts.
I think that this is a real concern for many women before they ride or join groups, but less so when they do actually participate. The women on the rides I do are respected and in some cases feared for their cycling prowess first and foremost. That the men enjoy the improved viewing is a good thing as long as it doesn't degrade into leering.
Old 08-28-11, 10:47 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
My wife bid on silent auction at a charity fund raiser and won a professional photo shoot. We had a lot of fun at the shoot. Here are a couple of our favorite pics.
Wow!
Old 08-28-11, 11:42 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I think that this is a real concern for many women before they ride or join groups, but less so when they do actually participate. The women on the rides I do are respected and in some cases feared for their cycling prowess first and foremost. That the men enjoy the improved viewing is a good thing as long as it doesn't degrade into leering.
Good answer.
Old 08-28-11, 11:45 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Good answer.
Agreed!!
Old 08-28-11, 05:34 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
In and around Boston, I've noticed an increasing number of 40+ women taking up cycling. But,,, the number of teenaged females and 20-something females out cycling seems way down. Come to think of it, a teenaged female cyclist seems to be a very rare thing today.

Any guesses, other than the "it's not COOL" factor?

In other news: I seem to have survived Hurricane Irene. Some truly serious wind and rain early this afternoon, including one period of time when I swear it rained three inches in about 45 minutes.
Old 08-28-11, 08:52 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
The only time I notice a "more" of women than men on our MUPS, is "Walking the Dog", otherwise it's about even in all the other "users". Glad I don't own one, seems most don't have control or LOL, the dog seems to be walking them.

Old 08-29-11, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
…Of course, I am genetically predisposed to notice females so that I'm a biased observer. …
Originally Posted by jdon
Appreciation of the female body is no crime. That said, ogling is very creepy...
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
…That the men enjoy the improved viewing is a good thing as long as it doesn't degrade into leering.
There may be more women out cycling or joining cyling groups if they could trust that they were appreciated and respected for their cycling abilities rather than the way they look in their cycling shorts.
Baby Boomer Fifty-Plus’ers probably remember these lyrics: “The boys watch the girls while the girls watch the boys who watch the girls go by”

Looking at (not leering IMO) isn’t just limited to female cyclists for me. I am aware that I probably glance at the ladies a bit more than at other on-road and roadside scenery, so I would caution my fellow like-minded cyclists not to get too distracted; watching the road is paramount.

BTW, I recalled hearing long ago that ladies bloomers were originally designed for cycling, but this is wrong. In my search, I found this interesting article “Women on Wheels: The Bicycle and the Women’s Movement of the 1890s”:

https://www.annielondonderry.com/womenWheels.html

Originally Posted by Robert Foster
… Running/jogging or walking seems I see more women maybe 6 out of ten.
On the streets of Boston before about 7:00 AM, I would estimate that the runner/jogger female to male ratio is about 8 of 10.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-29-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 05:51 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work downtown KCMO inspecting street construction. There is an artsy area with a lot in their 20's. A number of them are women. Never figured up a % but more women than normal among those riders. I commute to work and not many on bicycles where I ride. (my office is not downtown) When I do see a rider commuting to or from work its always a man. When I'm in a bike shop I rarely see a woman.
Old 08-29-11, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm working in Brooklyn NY, real hipster territory, and there are alot of female riders. But they are riding true hipster junk, old beaters scratched to death junk. They are not serious riders at all. They are true hipsters. They wouldn't know what a riding outfit looked like or what a Cannondale is, but they could sure tell you what year there Schwinn Varsity is and where to get a great cup of espresso!

But truth be told, I love them!
Old 08-29-11, 07:53 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

BTW, I recalled hearing long ago that ladies bloomers were originally designed for cycling, but this is wrong. In my search, I found this interesting article “Women on Wheels: The Bicycle and the Women’s Movement of the 1890s”:

https://www.annielondonderry.com/womenWheels.html
This is an interesting article, Jim. It brings to mind a quote I lifted from another member's signature line. Unfortunately, I can't remember her user name, but I have added this quote to my list of favorites.
"When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.
Old 08-30-11, 09:46 AM
DisMember

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
this thread is useless without pictures,
+1