Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

20-25-30 miles no food, little water?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

20-25-30 miles no food, little water?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Bonk training is an exercise program designed for weight loss. It suggests the following strategy on an empty stomach the first thing in the morning, when glycogen store levels are low: consume coffee or caffeine equivalent to 2 or 3 cups of coffee, run or cycle at a casual pace (60% of max heart rate) for 20–90 minutes, have a normal breakfast right after exercising. Proponents claim this will force the body to "bonk" shortly into the exercise, and subsequently burn more fat to generate the energy. It is not clear how medically sound this idea is; exerting too much energy and "bonking hard," or experiencing severe hypoglycemia, can be dangerous.[3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall

You might burn more fat by not eating but you might bonk if you push hard.
https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37492881...t-eat-workout/

"Though members of the group that didn't eat performed worse on the intensive training, they burned a higher proportion of fat to carbohydrates than the group that ate. The results were published by Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, the journal of the American College of Sports Medicine".

Sounds like tempting a bonk. Just saying.
Your first quote is a nonsense article from wikipedia not from an actual study. The second reference is correct and it doesn't include the athletes 'bonking' they merely started their training in a fasted state. For reference your muscles and liver can store approx 2000 cals of glycogen. Skipping a 500 cal breakfast isn't going to make you bonk in a 90 min bout of moderate intensity exercise.
Old 08-28-11, 11:55 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gregf83
Your first quote is a nonsense article from wikipedia not from an actual study. The second reference is correct and it doesn't include the athletes 'bonking' they merely started their training in a fasted state. For reference your muscles and liver can store approx 2000 cals of glycogen. Skipping a 500 cal breakfast isn't going to make you bonk in a 90 min bout of moderate intensity exercise.
Just following up what my trainer suggested I read.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/peak18.htm
The relevance of this to pre-exercise nutrition is as follows ... During a fasting period (such as overnight), liver glycogen stores will lower. If you compete in a morning event without having eaten anything since the night before, you start at a disadvantage. Although your muscle glycogen will still start off high, once it begins to be used up (after an hour or so) there's a reduced amount of blood glucose supplied by the liver to turn to.

My rides often go 2.5 to 3 hours.

https://tunedintocycling.wordpress.co...tion-the-bonk/

And as the poster said earlier Bonk training would be to down some coffee and take off on a bike ride. It is in fact in the definition of bonk training I believe?
https://www.superskinnyme.com/Weight%..._Training.html

What would you call Bonk training?
Old 08-29-11, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Riding without eating in the morning is not 'bonk' training. Riding in a fasted state has some benefits for better fat metabolism but it definitely shouldn't have you getting to the bonk stage.
Incorrect.

It is exactly what bonk training is. I have done in past years to shed a few pounds after injuries with the guidance from cycling coaches and sports physicians at the Cleveland Clinic. It isn't just a wiki thing as you suggest. Joe Friel has also blogged about it although he is not a proponent.

Last edited by jdon; 08-29-11 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-29-11, 04:39 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On my typical after-work ride, I haven't had anything to eat since lunch, but have been taking in Diet Cokes all afternoon. Have to stay awake while thinking about the bike ride...

Usually I go anywhere from 26 to 40 miles on these rides. More often than not I don't have any water. I never take in any food. I usually only get a little water at a turn-around point where there's a port-a-potty. If it's cool or winter I wouldn't get any water.
Old 08-29-11, 05:28 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
My afternoon, afterwork rides are about the same, although I only do 15-20 mile rides because of time constraints. I go directly home, get the bike and off to ride. I will take water, but on a normal ride I will only go through half a bottle at most. I have lunch three days a week, so there are rides where I haven't had anything to eat since breakfast, which is normally a begal and a cup of coffee. My weekend rides of 30+ miles are on a begal and a cup of coffee.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-29-11, 06:03 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I've learned to keep both food and water in my system while riding. If it’s an early morning ride, I'll have a banana and peanut butter & toast before heading out.

Once I've started with some food in my body, I can ride 30-40 with one bottle of water. Running on empty doesn’t work for me, or most people.
Old 08-29-11, 06:29 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Running on empty doesn’t work for me, or most people.
And your authority/reference for this statement, "or most people," is?
Old 08-29-11, 06:32 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
And your authority/reference for this statement, "or most people," is?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense
Old 08-29-11, 06:38 AM
Banned.

I was hoping for a bit more than that. Seriously, there are a whole lot of statements made by folks - who, when you ask them to back it up - really have nothing available. I can understand your saying it does not work for you, based on your experiences. But when one makes blanket statements, it is useful to have some facts behind the statement, IMHO.
Old 08-29-11, 06:51 AM
Have bike, will travel

I was hoping for a bit more than that. Seriously, there are a whole lot of statements made by folks - who, when you ask them to back it up - really have nothing available. I can understand your saying it does not work for you, based on your experiences. But when one makes blanket statements, it is useful to have some facts behind the statement, IMHO.
It's very well known in endurance training that keeping up with the 250 or more calorie burn rate per hour is critical for rides longer than three hours.
For events of less than three hours, the body can used stored energy. Once that stored energy is used, the body consumes itself to support the energy needs of the activity. This can be good for temporary weight loss, but can it can also create injury. The body will consume muscle if needed. One of the problems with a nutrition deficit is that a cyclist can burn calories at a rate that exceeds the rate that the body can deliver energy through digestion. This means that any laps in nutrition cannot be recovered by adding food later.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-29-11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-29-11, 06:57 AM
Banned.

It's very well known in endurance training that keeping up with the 250 or more calorie burn rate per hour is critical for rides longer than three hours.
For events of less than three hours, the body can used stored energy. Once that stored energy is used, the body consumes itself to support the energy needs of the activity. This can be good for temporary weight loss, but can it can also create injury. The body will consume muscle if needed. One of the problems with a nutrition deficit is that a cyclist can burn calories at a rate that exceeds the rate that the body can delivery energy through digestion. This means that any laps in nutrition cannot be recovered by adding food later.
Assuming your statements are correct, the original thread statement was for rides of 20-25-30 miles, generally less than 3 hours, in my experience, assuming one averages over 10 miles per hour, which, I believe, many of those using this forum do.

It was further modified by my statement that for rides over 30 miles, I would modify my nutrition strategy.

I fail to see where presenting scenarios with more than 3 hours of riding proves a scenario with less than 3 hours of riding??

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-29-11 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-29-11, 07:01 AM
Have bike, will travel

Assuming your statements are correct, the original thread statement was for rides of 20-25-30 miles, generally less than 3 hours, in my experience, assuming one averages over 10 miles per hour, which, I believe, many of using this forum do.

It was further modified by my statement that for rides over 30 miles, I would modify my nutrition strategy.

I fail to see where presenting scenarios with more than 3 hours of riding proves a scenario with less than 3 hours of riding??
I would not recommend this kind of early morning training if any other activity, such as employment, was required as a follow-up activity. Even if not working, having a normal set of activities in a full day might be difficult.
Old 08-29-11, 07:04 AM
Banned.

I would not recommend this kind of early morning training if any other activity, such as employment, was required as a follow-up activity. Even if not working, having a normal set of activities in a full day might be difficult.
I accept that as your recommendation.

However, I can further state that it works fine for me, and I am able to accomplish a full set of activities, and did so when I was working. Fortunately, I am retired, but I still engage in a full day of activities, often including swimming for 45 minutes, taking 3 mile walks, etc. However, I DO love that afternoon nap!!
Old 08-29-11, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll easily do 30 miles without food (either before or during), but always have water available. I rarely drink during my 10 mile commute, but drink plenty either before or after. If going more than 30 miles, I'll eat a little while on the bike. I'm anticipating this may change as I reduce the fat stored on my body .

Naps are good...
Old 08-29-11, 07:46 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coffee dehydrates the body. I don't understand why anyone would drink it before riding.
Old 08-29-11, 07:59 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
When I do the club breakfast ride on Saturday, I usually don't eat at all or sometimes just grab something light like a banana. It's usually about 25-30 miles until breakfast. No big deal. Then again, I've got plenty of reserves

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-29-11, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Coffee dehydrates the body. I don't understand why anyone would drink it before riding.
The obvious caffeine stimulation enhancing performance and weight loss, it delays the onset of lactic acid and has been shown in studies to reduce recovery time and the effects of DOMS.
Old 08-29-11, 08:21 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,648 Times in 4,056 Posts
Sometimes I go on massively diuretic rides. Head out and pedal for 12 miles. Grab a quad shot espresso. Roll another 10 miles and have a pint or two of beer. Then grab a Coca-Cola on the way home.

You'll want to refill both water bottles during a ride like that.
Old 08-29-11, 08:35 AM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coffee in large quantities has a diuretic effect, that is true. I knew a guy in the Navy once that landed in the hospital because of coffee. The diagnosis? Dehydration from the 3 or 4 POTS of coffee he drank each day.

But a small amount generally does no harm, especially the weak stuff we Yanks generally make.

I recall that the Tour riders usually always include it in their morning rations, and I have to think it is strong stuff. When I lived in Europe, coffee was served strong. It offers a mild stimulant effect and... "it delays the onset of lactic acid and has been shown in studies to reduce recovery time and the effects of DOMS."
Now, I dont know what DOMS are, but if you are drinking water or some other liquid on your bike, well, it becomes kind of a moot point if you tope a bit of coffee.

Last edited by dahut; 08-29-11 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-29-11, 09:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pre-ride 6-12 cups of coffee and a banana.
1.5-2 hour ride-32 oz. water
Post ride-Vanilla protein powder mixed with chocolate & skim milk , cottage cheese, plus food of lunch variety. PBJ, ham/turkey n swiss on whole wheat or main meal leftovers from night before.
Old 08-29-11, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Just following up what my trainer suggested I read.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/peak18.htm
The relevance of this to pre-exercise nutrition is as follows ... During a fasting period (such as overnight), liver glycogen stores will lower. If you compete in a morning event without having eaten anything since the night before, you start at a disadvantage. Although your muscle glycogen will still start off high, once it begins to be used up (after an hour or so) there's a reduced amount of blood glucose supplied by the liver to turn to.
That is a reasonable description of the potential benefits to training in the fasted state. It doesn't recommend or describe a bonk which results when all your glycogen stores are used up.

This article provides an excellent summary on what a bonk is and why you wouldn't want to ever experience it during training.

And as the poster said earlier Bonk training would be to down some coffee and take off on a bike ride. It is in fact in the definition of bonk training I believe?
https://www.superskinnyme.com/Weight%..._Training.html

What would you call Bonk training?
There is no such thing as 'bonk training' in the literature. I think it's a poor name as it implies that one experiences a bonk during exercise and this isn't the case.

Training in a fasted state appears to increase fat oxidation but the evidence for this is equivocal. For example, Effects of carbohydrate ingestion before and during exercise on glucose kinetics and performance tested a group of well trained athletes and found: "The results from this study demonstrate that even when relatively high amounts of CHO are fed in combination before and during exercise, the contribution of CHO and fat to total substrate use were not affected when compared with ingestion of a placebo."

The test consisted of riding at moderate intensity for 2 hrs followed by a simulated time trial. The athletes that were given carbohydrates (CHO) before and during exercise performed the best in the time trial (33 vs 50min) but even the ones given placebo before and during the test didn't bonk.
Old 08-29-11, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jdon
Incorrect.

It is exactly what bonk training is. I have done in past years to shed a few pounds after injuries with the guidance from cycling coaches and sports physicians at the Cleveland Clinic. It isn't just a wiki thing as you suggest. Joe Friel has also blogged about it although he is not a proponent.
As I mentioned above, I think it is poor choice of words to describe a training technique that has nothing to do with what one would normally associate with 'bonking'.
Old 08-29-11, 09:29 AM

It only dehydrates you if you're not used to drinking it. If you drink coffee regularly there is no diuretic effect. It's one of the few proven, legal performance enhancers. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't drink it!
Old 08-29-11, 09:30 AM

As I mentioned above, I think it is poor choice of words to describe a training technique that has nothing to do with what one would normally associate with 'bonking'.
I agree and have always found it misleading but I didn't invent the term. I also think your first post was poorly worded as well. I think we are closer in opinion than you think.
Old 08-29-11, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I accept that as your recommendation.

However, I can further state that it works fine for me, and I am able to accomplish a full set of activities, and did so when I was working. Fortunately, I am retired, but I still engage in a full day of activities, often including swimming for 45 minutes, taking 3 mile walks, etc. However, I DO love that afternoon nap!!
They're called a "Safety naps" and the big, burley firefighters down at Phoenix fire take them also.

Got twenty one miles in this morning, might could have used those arm warmers though. It got a might cool at the bottom of some of those hills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.