Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Where did my motivation go?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-28-11, 10:45 PM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where ever the sun went, I guess.
It's been a while since I remember an August this bad.
Cold, gray, wet... just miserable.
Now, I love the fog, really, or I would have left a long time ago.
But after 3 or 4 weeks, it's like living above the Arctic Circle.
It just sucks the life right out of you. Between that and, well, just my year, in general, it's just so hard to get up and get out. When I do, I'd still rather be no where else but it just doesn't feel as easy as it did.
I know I'll snap out of it, especially when summer comes next month, but I haven't had a slump like this since I started back 5 or 6 years ago.
It sucks...
Old 08-28-11, 11:57 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Weather about the same over here=so motivation getting your way aswell.

April May and June were exceptionnaly good here but come July and rain wind and not high temps. End of August and still the same as July. I have broken out the warmer jerseys now and the long sleeve base layer has had a couple of outings already.

The only way I can look at it is that this is mild late Autumn so thank goodness for the gopod weather.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-29-11, 12:03 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got nothing. Sorry to hear about your weather.
Old 08-29-11, 12:31 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if my motivation is vacationing at the same resort as your motivation is?

I sure hope they are enjoying themselves. I know I'm not!!
Old 08-29-11, 10:27 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
. . . When I do, I'd still rather be no where else . . . .
I think you have a good handle on the situation!
Old 08-29-11, 01:35 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Malaise is frustrating, but it will pass. Here's hoping the sunshine gets to you soon.

Last edited by NOS88; 08-29-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 02:24 PM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
COme on over. Got plenty of sunshine....................... and heat and...................humidity
Old 08-29-11, 06:37 PM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sun came out today
Old 08-29-11, 07:43 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
SaiKaiTai, I'm glad it came out where you are! It's been nothing but dreary here. And I was about to start a thread about my declining motivation over the last few weeks. I thought it was due to my crash. I'm thinking the lousy weather we've had this past month has been more responsible for dampening my fire than smacking my face into the pavement. I'm glad to know it's not just me. I just hope my drive returns when the sun does!
Old 08-29-11, 09:27 PM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, it will! I know Monterey has pretty similar weather but don't know if your July and August are quite as brutal as ours can be.
Usually, thought,we get 3 or 4 fogged in days and a day or two break. Sometimes it just goes on and on. After about 3 weeks, it gets pretty soul-sapping
Hang in there...when the sun shines, so shall you!
Old 08-29-11, 10:30 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So sorry, but the Pacific coast can be very foggy in the summer, drive inland a few miles but not too many because it will be too hot then--anyway a few miles will be a lot better although somewhat breezy due to all that fog on the coast and all that heat far inland.

I have to agree that this year it is particularly worse than usual.
Old 08-29-11, 11:11 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Need motivation? Sun? Heat? Come to Vacaville, and we'll do some hot, dry hill climbs exposed to the relentless sun, no shade, and heat radiating off the rock wall on your right as you suffer up Cardiac Hill. I can make it happen and even provide a/c and showers after the ride. Advance notice appreciated.

When I get sick of the sun I head to the coast with a sweatshirt, to walk along the beach and enjoy being cold.

Seriously, hope you get a mental break soon
Old 08-30-11, 05:02 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Weather about the same over here=so motivation getting your way aswell.

April May and June were exceptionnaly good here but come July and rain wind and not high temps. End of August and still the same as July. I have broken out the warmer jerseys now and the long sleeve base layer has had a couple of outings already.

The only way I can look at it is that this is mild late Autumn so thank goodness for the gopod weather.
I had to check the date on this, August 29th? Autumn, not until next week. In North America Labour Day -- the first Monday in September, is the official START of Autumn. It's been cool in the mornings and evenings, then hot during the day, this past week.
Old 08-30-11, 05:53 AM
NOS88

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I know that every year as the shadows grow longer, the days grow shorter, and the major races/tours are coming quickly to an end, I feel a bit down. So, I'm guessing there is a seasonal element at play for many of us. A good day of sunshine and moderate temps always seems to help.
Old 08-30-11, 06:19 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I got a package in the mail yesterday. It said, "Open with care - may contain energy."

I opened it so sarefully, and there I found, jumping around in the box, a package of - yes, you guessed it - MOTIVATION!!

Upon closer inspection, it said, "If you don't need this, please return to SaiFaiTai"

Since I don't seem to need motivation right now, I am sending the package back to you.

Your "MOTIVATION" will arrive in the mail shortly.

Are you ready for it? Can you handle it?
Old 08-30-11, 08:02 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
SaiKaiTai, the weather here has been EXACTLY as you described your weather. Relentless fog, right on the ground, for days and days in a row. It doesn't burn off until afternoon, if at all. It seems to me that the "timing" on this marine layer is about a month late. This is late June/July weather. It DOES suck the steam right out of you - and I LIKE the marine layer, for exactly the reasons RR described, but - enough already! Yes, inland it's hot, but around here, if you go inland you don't get "hot and breezy", you get hot and WINDY as the ocean air rushes through the canyons and passes to fill the Central Valley. Yuk!!! I feel just like SaiKaiTai described - unmotivated and sapped. It's been very disheartening...
Old 08-30-11, 01:39 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I just came back from a perfect blue sky day here in Maine. This time of year the weather often gets so fine that the biggest problem is knowing it won't last forever. There is something awfully poignant about these days, sensing their rare beauty and the fact that, like youth, they just won't last. Thursday I get another cord of wood delivered. That's a graphic reminder of what's ahead.
Old 08-31-11, 09:50 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Let's see, hurricanes? nope. Triple digit temperatures? nope. Tornadoes? nope. I can see why you have it rough. Nothing to keep things interesting.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 08-31-11, 10:16 AM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live 1/2 mile from the San Andreas Fault. The 1906 earthquake epicenter was 4 miles from here. Tell me again about interesting
Old 08-31-11, 10:21 AM
NOS88

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I live 1/2 mile from the San Andreas Fault. The 1906 earthquake epicenter was 4 miles from here. Tell me again about interesting
The joke making the rounds during the recent east coast earthquake was....."If we're gonna have these, I might as well move to California where the weather is better."
Old 08-31-11, 10:23 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Hmmm...
He may have a point if you have to go back 105 years to find anything interesting to mention.
Old 08-31-11, 10:57 AM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Hmmm...
He may have a point if you have to go back 105 years to find anything interesting to mention.
I don't have to go back *that* far... 1959 or so for a 5.6 on the same spot. Even today, there are weekly 2's and 3's ramping up after years of quiet. Just little reminders that there is a 70% chance of a catastrophic quake on the San Andreas or Hayward Faults within the next 30 years. It's very interesting, indeed, to live under a gun that gives no warning. You never know, when a tremor starts, how big it will get or for how long.
Old 08-31-11, 11:33 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
How about a tornado 2 blocks away from where you live. That was just earlier this summer. That was interesting.

I spent 35 years in California, 8 years within walking distance of the San Andreas. I still think that Monterey weather is boring you.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 08-31-11 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-31-11, 02:18 PM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to school on the fault. I cross it twice a day going to a from work. I've driven along the scarp every day for 40 years. I've ridden my bike along the scarp. I cross plate boundaries a minimum of 4 times on every ride.
Old 09-01-11, 04:49 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I must be the summer cycling flu. This is the first time I caught it in a long time. It may be the extreme heat we have been having. Last winter it was the extreme cold, but I got through it OK. Mine started with a sprained ankle, then doing chores around the house and now I just can't seem to get in the cycling mood. I hate this cycling flu!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.