Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I got smoked by Grandma!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/765205-i-got-smoked-grandma.html)

VertigoFlyer 09-03-11 11:26 AM

I got smoked by Grandma!!

On a recent ride I was looking back to see where my wife was. I "thought" I saw her back there but when she caught up it wasn't my wife. It was a gal I'm guessing who was in her 60's, not even trim and not really matching what I would call my "road cyclist stereotype". She looked every bit the loving grandma who would bring out a tray of amazing fresh baked cookies.

Now please understand, I'm a grandfather at the young age of 51! I take great pride in not looking the part - yet....

This gal blew me off her back in a hurry!! She was fully dressed in a great kit right down to the Sidi shoes! But where are the cookies?! I want some cookies!! LOL!!

She kicked my ass! I couldn't keep up with her 24mph + pace! It truly made me smile and made my day!

There's hope for us folks! If she can do it so can we!!

John_V 09-03-11 11:31 AM

A while back, I posted about an 80 year old lady I met at the MUP on a Moots road bike who was telling us how she crashed her Felt TT bike the year before at age 79. She also looked like the grandma ready to pass out the milk and cookies.

VertigoFlyer 09-03-11 11:34 AM

Every time I see someone 10+ or more older than myself out there crankin away it truly moves me and keeps me going forward! Sure it's cool to see the young bucks slogging away on the Tour de France but someone older than myself out there gettin it done is what REALLY energizes my inner soul!

John_V 09-03-11 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by VertigoFlyer (Post 13173418)
Every time I see someone 10+ or more older than myself out there crankin away it truly moves me and keeps me going forward! Sure it's cool to see the young bucks slogging away on the Tour de France but someone older than myself out there gettin it done is what REALLY energizes my inner soul!

Come down to Florida and ride. You'll be so energized, you could replace the bunny. :)

stapfam 09-03-11 01:10 PM

Don't see many older women riding round here unless they are in a Touring type group that are out for the scenery. What gets me are the Number of young girls in the 20's that are now riding. They have very little meat on them but they always pass me on the hills. Have had a couple ride with me for a few miles before they disappear into the distance.

DnvrFox 09-03-11 01:27 PM

As always, it's the motor.

doctor j 09-03-11 01:50 PM

The founder/fearless leader of our riding group is a female, 70 years of age. She rode her age this year and for the first time this year rode over our mountain and back, 65 miles, with a good bit of climbing compressed into about 18 miles of the 65. She rode the mountain with us again today.

cranky old dude 09-03-11 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by doctor j (Post 13173784)
The founder/fearless leader of our riding group is a female, 70 years of age. She rode her age this year and for the first time this year rode over our mountain and back, 65 miles, with a good bit of climbing compressed into about 18 miles of the 65. She rode the mountain with us again today.

So I take it that it is a good thing to be over the hill? :D

Robert Foster 09-03-11 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 13173677)
Don't see many older women riding round here unless they are in a Touring type group that are out for the scenery. What gets me are the Number of young girls in the 20's that are now riding. They have very little meat on them but they always pass me on the hills. Have had a couple ride with me for a few miles before they disappear into the distance.

Been there done that, have the cup and T-shirt.

JanMM 09-03-11 02:12 PM

From the stoker position on our tandem on a club ride this morning, my wife pointed out a cute older couple moving along nicely. (Probably about our age.)

doctor j 09-03-11 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 13173794)
So I take it that it is a good thing to be over the hill? :D

Absolutely!

bobbycorno 09-04-11 09:11 AM

Hey, I've been schooled by plenty of women of various ages who made me wish I could "ride like a girl". No shame in that. And as others have said, it's the motor.

SP
Bend, OR

ps - Jeannie Longo recently won the French National TT championships at age 50-something. Imagine how here competitors (young enough to be her daughters) felt about THAT!

Philipaparker 09-04-11 09:20 AM

You better get in shape dude us 60 year olds are fast!

triggerracing 09-04-11 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by VertigoFlyer (Post 13173394)
On a recent ride I was looking back to see where my wife was. I "thought" I saw her back there but when she caught up it wasn't my wife. It was a gal I'm guessing who was in her 60's, not even trim and not really matching what I would call my "road cyclist stereotype". She looked every bit the loving grandma who would bring out a tray of amazing fresh baked cookies.

Now please understand, I'm a grandfather at the young age of 51! I take great pride in not looking the part - yet....

This gal blew me off her back in a hurry!! She was fully dressed in a great kit right down to the Sidi shoes! But where are the cookies?! I want some cookies!! LOL!!

She kicked my ass! I couldn't keep up with her 24mph + pace! It truly made me smile and made my day!

There's hope for us folks! If she can do it so can we!!

You got chick'd, man lol

nmichell 09-04-11 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by bobbycorno (Post 13176519)
Hey, I've been schooled by plenty of women of various ages who made me wish I could "ride like a girl". No shame in that. And as others have said, it's the motor.

SP
Bend, OR

ps - Jeannie Longo recently won the French National TT championships at age 50-something. Imagine how here competitors (young enough to be her daughters) felt about THAT!

Hey, she was out here in Fort Collins recently and won our local cycling event -- apparently she likes to train in Colorado. And she's 53 (a year older than me).
Here's the local news account:
http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...cling-Festival

DGlenday 09-04-11 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by VertigoFlyer (Post 13173418)

What really "energizes my soul", as you put it, is when I am that person who is 10+ years older, and I'm smokin' off a twenty-something / thirty-something / forty-something! It's happened MANY times.

That said - I also tried to paceline with a grandma back in July. She was clearly 10+ years older than me, and as soon as we hit the first real hill, she dropped me like a brick :(

LOL

Shimagnolo 09-04-11 09:05 PM

A few weeks ago I was climbing Flagstaff Mt, and rode along with a slender retired lady who was pretty much my equal. Once we summited, she thanked me for the company, and excused herself because she needed to get back down to meet her book club.:lol: