Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use their smart phone instead of a garmin?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Does anyone use their smart phone instead of a garmin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 05:26 PM
mgb

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use MotionX-GPS on my iPhone 4. The battery lasts 4 hours but it doesn't last 8. I had a Garmin GPS before it died on a flash update. Garmin's do that.
Old 09-05-11, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I use my iPhone in a ibike setup, to keep track of and analyze my rides. It records where I go (has a moving map), speed, cadence, heart rate (I did not get the power option). I can send the data via an email to my computer for collection of data and analysis, I can then bring the ride up on Google earth. The box the iPhone sits in is waterproof (I have used it in the rain) and I can see it in direct sunlight. The is a battery in the box so my phone isn't drained by a ride. Everything is just so easy with the ibike setup. I'm carrying the phone on rides anyway so using it for ride data and gps as well eliminates the need to carry two devices. The best thing is that you can customize screens to give you just the data you want. It's nice.
Old 09-05-11, 05:32 PM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well as far as the baterry on my Motorola I1, I took the phone off the charger this morning at 0800, checked my work emails, went on a 2 hour ride where I used My tracks, came home uploaded the data to Google maps, checked email 3 more times thru the day, made 2 phone calles and direct connect for 2 convesations and the meter on my phone still shows a full charge.
Old 09-05-11, 05:42 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MotionX-GPS
iPhone 3GS

works great - I use it daily on my mountain bike and street bike. I ride a lot where there is no cell phone service and the GPS records perfectly. The APP allows me to use a variety of maps while riding including GoogleEarth images. It has a nice AutoPause that stops/starts recording automatically. It is quite precise in tracking when put in Automatic mode or Bicycle mode. I overlay the recorded track onto Google Earth and it follows tight windy trails and paths very nicely.

IF I want to have detailed maps of the area with no cell service - I download the maps, at whatever level of detail I want, before I go out to ride.

I also download Google Earth images before I go ride and can then display them in place of the map.

on my iPhone3GS the MotionX-GPS & location services uses about 25% - 30% of the battery PER HOUR. I carry a Duracell LiIon battery model PPS2 (about 3 oz weight) and connect it to my iPhone with the USB cable. The Duracell gives me another 3 - 5 hours of tracking.

MotionX-GPS records .kmz files that can be e-mailed, saved, and viewed in Google Earth.

The APP interfaces with the camera in the phone and will make geotagged photos that can be linked to the track it produces.

I've been looking at Garmin stuff but don't see what more I would get for my simple needs - track, pace, altitude, gain/loss in elevation.

I have a 2GB/month data plan and have never used more than 750 - 900MB even when downloading many maps.

Last edited by TacomaSailor; 09-05-11 at 05:44 PM. Reason: details
Old 09-05-11, 05:47 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
So, why on on earth did you even open this thread much less comment on it???

J.
Um, 'cause the OP asked?
Old 09-05-11, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Nope. I ride all weather and they haven't made a smart phone yet that survives a good soaking. As a previous poster mentioned, they are lousy in bright sunlight. 300 and change for a Garmin Edge 500. Money well spent.
Old 09-05-11, 06:08 PM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The view of the screen in sunlight seems to be more of a model specific problem. I have never had a problem reading mine. Second, true nothing electronc is truly water proof, some are more water resistant than others, but got caught today in the strorms moving out of the gulf and got drenched, no problems from the phone.
Old 09-05-11, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
Nope. I ride all weather and they haven't made a smart phone yet that survives a good soaking. As a previous poster mentioned, they are lousy in bright sunlight. 300 and change for a Garmin Edge 500. Money well spent.
I use a ziplock snack-size bag in wet or dusty conditions.

Works like a charm.
Old 09-05-11, 07:05 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SPlKE

Works like a charm.

+100

You can even still use the touch screen through the ziplock baggy.
Old 09-05-11, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by SPlKE

Works like a charm.
Just curious how that mounts to the stem or bars?
Old 09-05-11, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just curious how that mounts to the stem or bars?
I do it like this:
https://lifehacker.com/5747897/how-to...ffice-supplies

It works for the handlebars too. Stem is to big around.
Old 09-05-11, 09:40 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Cyclemeter iPhone App, and I love it. Get great battery life with the display off. Also tracks walks and Runs. When you are done, it emails the stats to you, and will even post it on Twitter or Facebook. Here is the map you get: https://maps.google.com/?q=https://sha...10904-1633.kml

Best $4.99 I've spent. More accurate calorie burn, and it will announce over speaker at intervals you set.

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 09-06-11, 07:08 AM

That is where I am going with my questions. I carry a phone as well but in a ziploc in my jersey pocket. It sounds like most people are using them as recorders rather than real time info use. I like to know heart rate zones and trends as well as cadence, watts, grade and speed but I want it in front of me, not jammed in a pocket.

We all have different applications for the information so need different equipment. Right tool for the job I guess.
Old 09-06-11, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Fuji 3.0 Newest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I can not afford a Garmin at the moment. I do however own a Blackberry. Coupled with a GPS puck I track all my rides. I do not use it as a mapping device on the bike, rather as a record keeping tool. The app I use on the BlackBerry is GPSed. It uploads to GPSed.com automatically, then I simply download the gpx file then distribute it to any tracking site I wish to such as MapMyRide, Ridewithgps.com or Strava.com. Like I said, I use this simply for keeping my tracks (where I've ridden). As far as battery life, it does eat battery. I do hope I can get enough battery to track my MS City to shore ride in a few weeks. :-)
Old 09-06-11, 09:00 PM
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use map my ride on my iPhone for short 20-30 mile rides since the battery life does not last much past that...

I use a Topeak dry bag mounted on my stem.... Works great and keeps it dry and comphy...
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...551_1105935_-1___

Last edited by M_Wales; 09-06-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-07-11, 04:57 AM

Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
That is where I am going with my questions. I carry a phone as well but in a ziploc in my jersey pocket. It sounds like most people are using them as recorders rather than real time info use. I like to know heart rate zones and trends as well as cadence, watts, grade and speed but I want it in front of me, not jammed in a pocket.

We all have different applications for the information so need different equipment. Right tool for the job I guess.
Cadence is about the only thing I watch on a regular basis, sometimes speed and average, but I can generally "feel" where they are if my cadence is within a certain range on a certain type of terrain. Ditto my heart rate.

All that other detail stuff is recorded on my google My Tracks.

I just can't see myself looking at a moving map when I'm in traffic doing 20+ mph.
Old 09-07-11, 06:33 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Endomondo because it gives me an audio update every mile, I keep the phone in my pocket. Before I used My Tracks. The nice thing about My Tracks is if you don't have a data signal it track you on a blank map and fills it in when you get a data signal. At least it did on my EVO.
Old 09-07-11, 06:35 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know how to post your rides from an app to the "Where'd you ride today" threads in most of the forums? I know I can export to .gpx but I don't know what to do with it from there.
Old 09-07-11, 07:48 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MY smart phone does it all. No need for a separate GPS, camera, video camera, computer(real one), radio, mp3 player, flashlight, etc, etc, etc. I use it to track my ride but use a cheap cyclocomputer because I don't want the phone vulnerable to a fall or the elements. I like a multi-tasker. I hate numerous individual items, each with their own power supply/cord/batteries, etc.
Droid X does!
Old 09-07-11, 04:35 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gforeman
I use Cyclemeter iPhone App, and I love it. Get great battery life with the display off. Also tracks walks and Runs. When you are done, it emails the stats to you, and will even post it on Twitter or Facebook. Here is the map you get: https://maps.google.com/?q=https://sha...10904-1633.kml

Best $4.99 I've spent. More accurate calorie burn, and it will announce over speaker at intervals you set.
Agreed! One thing - on a day long ride, it WILL run the battery down. Mine lasted from full charge to DOA six hours. I do really like the features of Cyclometer, though, and for short rides and runs it's great.

I use my Garmin edge 305 as my primary computer for rides now.
Old 09-07-11, 05:25 PM

Bikes: Secteur, Camber, Trek 930

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a Garmin eTrex and bought bike mounts for it, but ditched it for Endomondo on my Android phone. Much more compact, love auto-uploads, plus has much better maps. My phone's battery doesn't last much longer than 5 hours, but I can get an extended battery.
Old 05-24-12, 02:53 PM
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use my iphone with some cycling apps a few times, not very accurate but ok.
Old 05-24-12, 03:04 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Zombie thread alert!
Old 05-24-12, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I don't believe I'm smart enough to use a "Smart Phone".

I'm tired and burnt out and not in the mood to learn how to use the myriad of techno-gizmos that are flooding the market these days. I am close to mastering the use of my inexpensive Cateye and Avocet bike computers and damn proud of that accomplishment!! I would prefer to live a simpler life devoid of expensive and seemingly quirky equipment.

My daughters seem to be very adept at navigating through their various fancy gadgets though, and are quite satisfied with the apps etc.

Of course I know that I'm in the minority here, but as Popeye used to lamnet "I am what I am.".
Me too.

My phone doesn't have any apps that don't start with me saying "Hello." I don't have a smart phone, I have a dumb a** phone and I neither know nor care it that describes the hardware or the user..
Old 05-24-12, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Trek Lime Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Map My Tracks for IPhone....works well and is free

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.