Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dog Ruined My 30 Mile Ride and My New B17!!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dog Ruined My 30 Mile Ride and My New B17!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Trek multi-track 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Kansas; a vicious dog can be shot; I was told by a local Chief of police that if I believed that the dog was a threat/vicious I could shot the dog. Currently Kansas also has a stand your ground law; meaning, if I am in a place lawfully and being lawful I do not have to back down to a threat man or animal. Therefore; if a dog's behaviour is threatening the dog can be put down on the spot as long as I believe my life is threaten or there is a threat of grave bodily harm --- a dog bite from an unknown dog fit the last part of that in my book.

Yes, a dog is only working off prey drive as we ride by. Yes the owner needs to have them under control which under most laws means 6 foot leash, fense/run or able to stop the dog from chasing (dog will recall on command). The dogs that have chased me were not under owners control; in fact one guy laugh as his little piece of dirt chased me. I had informed him on another occation that that he needed to leash his dog when it came on the attack as I walked by. That was the second dog that walk to attempt an attack; I started carrying a cane. Can't do that on a bike; have thought about pepper spray though!!
Old 09-22-11, 07:29 AM

Bikes: Sab, Diamondback MB, Kawasiki MB, Huffy hybrid fixed gear junk yard build, Huffy cruiser motorized.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog defense products?

What is the best product to handle aggressive dogs as for as sprays go?

The other day I went on a new route and had 5 or 6 pit bulls hitting the fence to get out with me. Owner of the dogs was sitting on the porch glaring at me for riding by and upsetting the dogs. Not much I could say as they were contained in the yard however got me to thinking what if. I ride into new roads and the fence is not there.

I have a few dogs that I have either sprinted away from before they closed with me. Then a couple others that I had to stop as they were ahead of me and closing fast. But most I already knew and just had to let them know who I am.
Old 09-22-11, 07:36 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by danlikes
Dog defense products?

What is the best product to handle aggressive dogs as for as sprays go?

The other day I went on a new route and had 5 or 6 pit bulls hitting the fence to get out with me. Owner of the dogs was sitting on the porch glaring at me for riding by and upsetting the dogs. Not much I could say as they were contained in the yard however got me to thinking what if. I ride into new roads and the fence is not there.

I have a few dogs that I have either sprinted away from before they closed with me. Then a couple others that I had to stop as they were ahead of me and closing fast. But most I already knew and just had to let them know who I am.
https://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Ma...e-p-17032.html

Old 09-22-11, 09:48 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5& 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.dtdistributors.com/foxlama4flto.html

This is what I use. It comes out in a stream which you can easily aim with no fog to blow around so you don't spray yourself. You can also get a holster that attaches to your top tube and holds the cylinder. Easy pull off with snaps. Most dogs are allowed to run loose in the rural areas around here. If the NO NO doesn't stop them, I give a spray in the face. They stop barking, chasing and promptly return home. If the owner objects I am prepared to spray him. I have a handgun carry permit but don't carry while riding.

Al
Old 09-22-11, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had three dogs chase me a couple days ago.Almost fell off the bike.I called the sheriff and they said they would talk to the owners.I was thinking maybe a sword carried along the top tube would be a good idea,but maybe i will look into mace.Does the gun work alot better than the normal device,and how long does a can last before it needs to be replaced?
Old 09-22-11, 08:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think the pepper spray gun is designed to be used on a bicycle. Looks like it would come out in a fog and be as likely to spray you as the dog, especially if moving. The spray I use comes out in a stream. I don't stop to use it, just pull it off the top tube and give the dog a face full. It comes out red and is easy to see and spray. I've used the 3 oz size four or five times with just a squirt in the dogs face. It seems to be about half full.
Al
Old 09-23-11, 02:27 AM

Bikes: Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The missus had an issue with a neighborhood dog once. Owners came out. She told them she is licensed gun owner (Concealed Carry) and if the animal attacked her again she would shoot it. Now every time we go by there the dog is behind a fence.
Old 09-23-11, 11:18 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Threatening people with a gun whether displayed or not is a good way to lose that CC permit. Not to mention the charges that (sh)could be filed. No wonder so many are against gun owners.
Old 09-26-11, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that we need a noise maker like a 50 cal. round going off. Most dogs and humans react quickly to gun shots and freeze. By the time the dog realizes it was just a noise you are already gone. This needs to be a repeating noise maker so that it could be fired at 1/4 second intervals just in case the dog does not stop. It needs to be loud enough that the dog will feel pain if it gets to close to the bike.

The noise might encourage the owner to control their dog. It might also get the neighbors to asking what is going on. It might also get the rider in trouble if there is a noise ordinance.

So if you don't like the noise generator, then maybe you will like this. A steel wire cage to wrap around the bike and protect the rider. The cage would have to be able to flex with the surface of the road but still be strong enough to keep a dog from getting to the rider.

But the best thing that I have seen would be a fully enclosed very low to the ground recumbent. This would be ideal because if the dog caused you to wreck you would be protected from road rash and the dog still could not get to you in the enclosure. I also think that all enclosed recumbents should be required to have a 2' long air speed indicator mounted on the nose to make sure how fast you were going and to make sure that the dog does not get in your way again.

I hate dogs on the road but there just does not seem to be a good solution for the problem. I am always amazed at how people ride cross country for miles and don't get all chewed up. I have had dogs chase into the road after me in traffic and the traffic swerve to miss the dog and almost take me out with a head on crash at 55 mph. I really hate dogs on the road.
Old 09-26-11, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had my first failure with the spray on the Tour de Tellico century ride this past Saturday. A collie type ran out on a moderate hill and paced me for about 100 feet. He was running in the grass along the right side of the road and looked like he wanted to race so I just watched him. Then I heard a snarling on my left. Here was a big boxer type running along just ahead and on my left and slowing closing in on me. He meant business so I started using the pepper spray. I was moving about 15 mph into a headwind in the valley and the spray just would not reach him. I think he finally got a whiff of it and he darted in front of my bike. I hit him just ahead of the hip which threw my bike violently to the right. Somehow I didn't go down but that was a miracle. The guy I was riding with was just behind, and he commented he couldn't understand why I didn't go down. The dog I hit yelped in pain and both dogs broke off the chase.
Now I going to buy a .22 derringer and use rat shot in it to shoot the darn dogs in the butt. It won't cause permanent injury but will sting the heck out of them. I have a Handgun Carry Permit so it will be legal. I'm not going ruin my bike and break bones because some idiot won't keep his dogs contained.
Old 09-26-11, 12:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trek Al

Now I going to buy a .22 derringer and use rat shot in it to shoot the darn dogs in the butt. It won't cause permanent injury but will sting the heck out of them. I have a Handgun Carry Permit so it will be legal. I'm not going ruin my bike and break bones because some idiot won't keep his dogs contained.
Your plan seems reasonable to me but in my state, discharging a firearm on or across a public roadway is unlawful, and any firearms violation is cause for immediate suspension of our CHL (the CHL can be reinstated, if not expired by the time that any firearms charges are dropped/cleared). This may be different in your state. I would have to consider the threat to be very serous before I would risk giving up my CHL. If the attacking pup were carrying a firearm I would then consider it worth the risk......
Old 09-26-11, 01:38 PM
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trek Al
Here was a big boxer type running along just ahead and on my left and slowing closing in on me. ...
I'm not sure your new plan would have helped in this case - you would have to shoot the dog in the face with a good chance of damaging one or both eyes. Dogs coming from in front are more difficult than from behind; the only safe plan seems to me to be to slow down, use the bike as a shield and use the spray at close range as needed.

You could use one of the smaller BB pistols instead, if you want a firearm, and perhaps that would not put your permit at risk - I don't know what counts as a firearm.

I have actually found another alternative that works well with farm dogs at a longer range than Halt: rocks. Many of the dogs around here seem to be conditioned to rock throwing, so I carry a few 1" size in a back pocket, and can throw them well before the dog is close enough to threaten. They usually break off the chase as soon as they see the throwing motion and the rock coming towards them.