Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Best Car for Biking

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Best Car for Biking

Old 09-08-11, 07:28 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 on the Mazda 3 Hatchback. Easily fits inside with rear seats down with both wheels on the bike. I prefer having my bike inside the car on trips, especially long ones. Better mpg and don't have to bother with a carrier.
Old 09-08-11, 08:19 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikethom
Prius' are best for biking - either put your bike in the trunk with the front wheel off or get a hitch or use a hitch rack as I do, and of course enjoy the great gas mileage (I'm always amazed at all the SUV's parked at bike events, not good drivers and not especially comfortable, either). Actually the best ever bike car ever was a 1984 Civic wagon, or shuttle as known in other locales. It took me and my bike (and others') for over 150k miles before it was retired, with very little maintenance.

I believe a larger cargo version of the Prius is about to come to market in the US.
I am happier that I bought a Volt than a Prius, but it won't take a bike rack. I haven't tried putting it in the hatchback.
Old 09-08-11, 08:22 PM

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
It's going to be really strange driving your car without a front tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, a Chrysler minivan has proved just great for my and my wife's bike, not needing to take off the front tire, and first leaning to the side as I load one at a time and then standing the bike up vertically pointing forward. I have gotten 4 bikes in this way.

This also allows for all the other stuff we bring along on a car trip, and keeps the bikes relatively safe and "locked in."
We have a winner here. My Dodge Caravan hauls three adults and their full-sized bikes, without removing any wheels, and all their luggage, with room to spare.
It's an incredibly useful vehicle. I've owned all manner of vehicles, from coupes and sedans to pickups, wagons and SUVs. If I could have only one, this would have to be it.

Last edited by marmot; 09-08-11 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-09-11, 07:43 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ford Excursion. Can fit 4 bikes in the back without taking off a wheel and have MORE than enough room for 4 people COMFORTABLY.....and their gear....all inside nice and safe and dry. 4 people times 18-20 mpg. You do the math . Diesel, the only way to go.

Or if it's just me and one friend, our diesel Jetta or New Beetle. 50 mpg on the highway and real power for the highway and hills. Prius schmius. And no batteries to buy and to dump in a landfill (well, one).

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 09-09-11 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 09:52 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Or if it's just me and one friend, our diesel Jetta or New Beetle. 50 mpg on the highway and real power for the highway and hills. Prius schmius. And no batteries to buy and to dump in a landfill (well, one).
Our Prius does just fine on hills and the freeway, as does my Camry Hybrid (I use a trunk mounted rack). Electric motors have quite a bit of torque.
Old 09-09-11, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by marmot
We have a winner here. My Dodge Caravan hauls three adults and their full-sized bikes, without removing any wheels, and all their luggage, with room to spare.
It's an incredibly useful vehicle. I've owned all manner of vehicles, from coupes and sedans to pickups, wagons and SUVs. If I could have only one, this would have to be it.
Jeeze, I never felt like a winner when I drove a Caravan.

Actually, as humdrum as they are, they are one of the best utility vehicles I have owned. If they were even remotely reliable, I would probably still drive one.
Old 09-09-11, 10:31 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
The crisis is probably over. You can sell it now.
It would be a crisis if I became a dinosaur and stopped living life LARGE.
Old 09-09-11, 11:44 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I am a rabid fan of European-style sport sedan based station wagons/estates, which offer an unbeatable mix of practicality, safety, fuel efficiency, and driving pleasure. My wife's 2001 VW Passat wagon easily holds two bikes and two people inside, and the low roofline makes it very easy to load a bolt-on roof rack, expanding the capacity to 4-5 people inside and 3 bikes up top. I am pleased that Honda (Acura TSX Sportwagon) and Toyota (Prius V wagon) have seen the light, but disappointed that Volvo will stop importing wagons to the US, and that there is no plan for a wagon version of the new made-in-USA Passat sedan, which is getting a little too big for my tastes, anyway. I hope to get another 10 years out of the Passat, but if I had to replace it today, I would have very few options -- Acura TSX wagon ($$), Audi A4 Avant ($$$), VW Jetta Sportwagen. Your Europeans and Asians don't know how lucky you are.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-09-11, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Scattante R-670, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was think the Flintstones Car is a good option, cause when you get where your going you won't need to ride, you will already have had a great workout.
Old 09-09-11, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, as humdrum as they are, they are one of the best utility vehicles I have owned. If they were even remotely reliable, I would probably still drive one.
Fingers crossed, but I've had this one for three years, worked it hard, and haven't spent a nickel on repairs.
Old 09-09-11, 01:16 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I am a rabid fan of European-style sport sedan based station wagons/estates, which offer an unbeatable mix of practicality, safety, fuel efficiency, and driving pleasure. My wife's 2001 VW Passat wagon easily holds two bikes and two people inside, and the low roofline makes it very easy to load a bolt-on roof rack, expanding the capacity to 4-5 people inside and 3 bikes up top. I am pleased that Honda (Acura TSX Sportwagon) and Toyota (Prius V wagon) have seen the light, but disappointed that Volvo will stop importing wagons to the US, and that there is no plan for a wagon version of the new made-in-USA Passat sedan, which is getting a little too big for my tastes, anyway. I hope to get another 10 years out of the Passat, but if I had to replace it today, I would have very few options -- Acura TSX wagon ($$), Audi A4 Avant ($$$), VW Jetta Sportwagen. Your Europeans and Asians don't know how lucky you are.
I like the "tall wagon" body type that drives like a small car but, with the rear seats folded flat or removed, has room for two or three bikes mounted upright facing rearward with front wheels removed and forks clamped to a mount on a board. I don't like hauling bikes laying on their side. In 2003, when I bought my PT Cruiser, there were very few choices of that type of vehicle sold in the US. I think there are more now, but I'm not in the market for a new car. the "best" car is the one that is already paid for.
Old 09-09-11, 01:28 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by buddy
I would like a car that I can put the bike in the rear with my gear. I don't care if I have to take off the front tire.
My bike easily fits in the back of my 2011 Hyundai Elantra with the back seat folded forward. With the front wheel off there is plenty of room. Its not squeezed into a tiny space so you could probably get 2 or 3 bikes in if needed. Never tried it. And the EPA gas mileage listing for the car is 40mpg highway, 29mpg city.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 09-09-11 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-09-11, 01:28 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Three months ago I bought a Subaru Forester. With the front wheel off the bike fits easily. I'm averaging 27.5mpg, mostly hwy miles. For me another big perk is that it sits a bit higher off of the ground meaning that I can step out of it rather than needing to pull myself up and out. (my mind is much younger than my body) Big windows all the way around which means bike is there for all to see and admire but makes it easy to see out of when on the road and when backing out of the drive. All in an all wheel drive vehicle, which will in theory make my passengers feel safer this winter.
Old 09-09-11, 01:44 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Originally Posted by marmot
Fingers crossed, but I've had this one for three years, worked it hard, and haven't spent a nickel on repairs.
I have a 2006 Chrysler T&C which has never seen the inside of a repair facility except lube jobs, tires and brakes. I have owned Chrysler minivans since 1986. They are getting better.
Old 09-09-11, 02:29 PM

Bikes: road and mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have had both a honda CRV and a mazda 3 hatchback (mazdaspeed 3). both were great for hauling bikes. in the crv, i just took out the back seats. gave much more room plus less weight added another 1 mile per gallon. with the mazda, just left the rear seats down. really wish i still had the mazda or the honda as a bike carrier. i camped out several times in the crv. Now i have co..... - ah, i guess i better not say it here.

gw
Old 09-09-11, 04:01 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My vote is for a mini van.
Old 09-09-11, 06:30 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a couple of occasions I've rented the Chrysler minivan for work and have been very impressed with the Stow and Go seating system. You can literally turn it from a 7 seater to a 2 seater with a flat carpeted cargo floor in a few minutes. I'm not normally a Chrysler fan, but they executed this concept very well. It's too large of a vehicle for me since I'm single, but it would be great for a combined cargo of people and bikes.
Old 09-09-11, 06:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, Trek 7300 converted to Road hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have aToyota Matrix, you can get 2 bikes in the back and still get 30 mpg,LOL
Old 09-09-11, 06:41 PM
Old but New

Bikes: Magnum Ui6 eBike and Catrike Trail recumbent trike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
I have a Toyota Yaris Hatchback. The back seat folds down and my bike fits nicely into it without removing the front wheel.
+1
Old 09-09-11, 07:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rnorris
On a couple of occasions I've rented the Chrysler minivan for work and have been very impressed with the Stow and Go seating system. You can literally turn it from a 7 seater to a 2 seater with a flat carpeted cargo floor in a few minutes. I'm not normally a Chrysler fan, but they executed this concept very well. It's too large of a vehicle for me since I'm single, but it would be great for a combined cargo of people and bikes.
Stow and Go is fantastic. I don't know what I'd do if I had to remove the seats to free up the truly cavernous cargo hold. Couldn't put 'em in the garage -- it's full of bikes.
Old 09-09-11, 07:43 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Our Mazda MPV is ten years old and just shy of 100k miles but swallows my long wheelbase 'bent or our tandem 'bent right down the middle between seats. Or, it will hold one of those plus a couple of upright bikes and/or bikes can go on the roof, including a long one.
Old 09-09-11, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I have a 2006 Chrysler T&C which has never seen the inside of a repair facility except lube jobs, tires and brakes. I have owned Chrysler minivans since 1986. They are getting better.
I had an '87 (year my first daughter was born) and a '94 and had 2 transmission replacements in the first and one one the second. Loved everything else about the vehicle though. Maybe I will revisit one day. The Jeep is getting old now.
Old 09-09-11, 08:02 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would like a car that I can put the bike in the rear with my gear. I don't care if I have to take off the front tire.
Truck. Leave the tires on.
Old 09-09-11, 08:05 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I had an '87 (year my first daughter was born) and a '94 and had 2 transmission replacements in the first and one one the second. Loved everything else about the vehicle though. Maybe I will revisit one day. The Jeep is getting old now.
I gave the '86 to a friend - it was working great for me, but I needed a larger one (I had the short model). About the day after I gave it away, it blew up!!!!

The 1993 and the 2001 were both totaled in accidents. The '93 hit a truck that turned directly in front with no warning from the opposite direction. Turns out the guy was in a diabetic coma. The truck flipped and my car was totaled.

The 2001 was rear ended - while I was stopped at a traffic light - by a 18 year-old girl, pushed me into the car in front.

The irritating thing is that one NEVER comes out ahead - or even even - in an accident. You always lose money.

Anyway, both cars were sound mechanically. I never replaced a transmission, despite the general feeling of poor Chrysler product trannnies.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-09-11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-09-11, 08:34 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Suburban is ab ultimate bike vehicle. However, I also like my Mazda Miata, but not great for inside storage. Of course I guess I could put the Miata inside the back of the Suburban which would solve everything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.