Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling Backlash Brewing?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling Backlash Brewing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
And there's something wrong with that? Cheap oil means lower cost of living for all of us and more vibrant economies which lifts all boats including the poor of the third world.

Don't forget, people drive SUVs because of the government mandated CAFE requirements which were applied to large automobiles and station wagons but not to SUVs. The sales of large automobiles/SWs were replaced with SUVs which got poorer gas milage than the vehicles they replaced.

Your governement at work. A lot of folks need/want large cars. It's a matter of choice as Robert Foster pointed out. I like choice and prefer the governement stay out of selecting favorites and limiting my options.

When the governement gets out of the way, we can exploit that 100 years of identified shale/gas/oil/coal reservs (at present usage rates) we have in the US. Then there's Canada. We have made dramatic reductions in the use of energy per unit of GDP since the Carter years as well.

The glass is more than half full.

Al
The United States implemented CAFE rules, a big complex expensive paper-work laden bureaucracy that had a hole big enough for a Cadillac Escalade to get through, many other countries used the opposite approach, they simply slapped an excise tax on fuel. Gasoline is 1/3rd more expensive in Canada, the difference is the tax, and that is why Canadians buy smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles then Americans do. Shale isn't being done, because the extraction cost is so high. The Tar Sands in Canada didn't make economic sense until oil surpassed $45/barrel, because that is the extraction cost, shale hasn't yet reached the extraction cost, your not going to like your SUV when it does.
Old 09-19-11, 02:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dahut
Yeah, I know. Before the media coverage ceased, it was still a grey area.
Police statements at the time indicated that he had alight, but they could not determine if he had it on.
Huh? How can you not determine that? What... did he turn it off before he succumbed?
Certainly the driver didn't see it, making it ineffective if it was on.
With the impact coming from the rear, it strongly suggests that the doctor had nothing showing backwards.

There is morning work-traffic on this road, but in the pre-dawn darkness traffic is generally light. Friends who live over there say they see cyclists all the time along there, and suggest that even a modicum of rearward lighting or reflective devices should have been seen, were they in use. The driver never saw him on a clear stretch of open, unencumbered road? Taken together, it is most likely he wasn't running with visibility aids.... which are vastly different than forward facing head lights.

The police have not pressed charges as far as I know, ruling it an unfortunate accident.

Admittedly, Ive made a leap of faith here based on bigger picture. I suppose I should apologize for that.
As it stands now, nothing new has been reported since August.
I'm going to give an accomplished physician and cyclist like Dr. Dickinson the benefit of the doubt unless I hear specific evidence to the contrary.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/aug...&pid=152856234
https://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...led-encourager
https://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...e-car-accident
Old 09-19-11, 03:06 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogster
Bicycles don't need number plates, what is needed is a requirement to carry government issued photo-id with your address, such as a drivers licence. They could add a bicycle class licence, which requires you to write a test of basic rules of the road, unless you already have a drivers licence. This must be carried while riding and a police officer who sees you doing something illegal, can pull you over and demand your licence.
You've missed the point of what I was saying. I know bikes don't need number plates, which is part of why cyclists can flout so many traffic laws with impunity. If a police officer tries to pull over a cyclist what is going to happen? A responsible cyclist who thought they might get away with taking a shortcut will most likely pull over and comply, an irresponsible cyclist (i.e. the ones who are a problem) will simply refuse to pull over. What's the police officer going to do then? Certainly in an urban setting the cyclist can use paths, roads, trails, parks, just about anything to get away from the police. A police officer in a car can't follow through many of those places, a police officer on foot can't go fast enough to catch the cyclist.

If some form of number plate were required (ignoring for now the practicalities of such a requirement) then a scofflaw cyclist would have to remove their number plate to evade the police. While it might not prevent them from doing so it would potentially make the final "rap sheet" when they were caught sufficiently severe they'd think twice about doing it.
Old 09-19-11, 03:12 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by larwyn
I believe the numbers of bicycle riders is increasing here. I say this because others are noticing and I have heard them talking about it. One thing that is often mentioned is riders wearing helmets. No, not the safety concerns of wearing helmets, but the fact that if you see someone on a bicycle approaching a red light/stop sign and that person is wearing a helmet, chances are he is going to run the light/stop sign. So yes, people are paying attention and bicyclists do have the opportunity to make a good impression, if they were to choose to do so.
Interesting you should say that. In my home town (London, England) it seems the people who wear helmets are least likely to run red lights and flout the rules of the road.

When I stop at a red light and another cyclist blows past me and goes through the red without even slowing, 9 times out of 10 they aren't wearing a helmet.
Old 09-19-11, 03:19 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good ideas. That would be like the NRA and us gun owners who support strong enforcement of laws for those using a gun in a crime. The NRA petitioned legislatures for tough laws and tough enforcement.

Unless stopped at the scene of the infraction, catching the cyclist does seem to be an issue. However, I wonder how useful plates are in apprehending drivers or if it's done by just a description of the vehicle.

Al
If I try and outrun the police in my car they can use the registration to trace me. Unless I can show someone else was driving then I'm automatically responsible for both the original offence and the failure to stop for the police.

Admittedly it's easier to combine a number plate and description for a car than it is for a bike. The key issue would need to be finding a way to identify a cyclist who flouted the law even if they did refuse to stop for the police, while at the same time making sure cycling continues to be an easily accessible mode of transport for everyone. For all we need to rein in the excesses of those who completely ignore the rules of the road, we don't want to suddenly find that we can no longer buy a bike for little Jimmy's fifth birthday because of the paperwork involved, or find an 8-year-old brought home by the police because their bike registration fell off and they didn't notice.
Old 09-19-11, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seattle has a large cycling population. And I see a lot of folks on bikes show total disregard for any rules of the road. It makes me more motivated, though, to do my part. Just yesterday I was going up a killer hill and stopped mid-way to let a pedestrian cross. Not saying this to be altruistic at all. But I bet that person crossing the street was surprised when I did that (I've only had ONE cyclist that ever stopped for me on a marked crosswalk).
Old 09-19-11, 05:17 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
You've missed the point of what I was saying. I know bikes don't need number plates, which is part of why cyclists can flout so many traffic laws with impunity. If a police officer tries to pull over a cyclist what is going to happen? A responsible cyclist who thought they might get away with taking a shortcut will most likely pull over and comply, an irresponsible cyclist (i.e. the ones who are a problem) will simply refuse to pull over. What's the police officer going to do then? Certainly in an urban setting the cyclist can use paths, roads, trails, parks, just about anything to get away from the police. A police officer in a car can't follow through many of those places, a police officer on foot can't go fast enough to catch the cyclist.

If some form of number plate were required (ignoring for now the practicalities of such a requirement) then a scofflaw cyclist would have to remove their number plate to evade the police. While it might not prevent them from doing so it would potentially make the final "rap sheet" when they were caught sufficiently severe they'd think twice about doing it.
Number plates do not mean a thing, because you can't prove who was riding the bicycle at the time the offence was noted. The issue with scofflaws, is that they may provide a name and address other then their own, either fake information or someone else's information. Demanding photo ID makes it a little harder, although fake ID is possible, an officer can run your ID and you can be arrested for providing fake id to a police officer. Areas where scofflaws are a major problem, you simply need to add some bicycle cops, end of problem.
Old 09-19-11, 06:02 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by contango
Interesting you should say that. In my home town (London, England) it seems the people who wear helmets are least likely to run red lights and flout the rules of the road.

When I stop at a red light and another cyclist blows past me and goes through the red without even slowing, 9 times out of 10 they aren't wearing a helmet.
I thought so too, but it proves true almost every time. Those riding in jeans and t-shirt without a helmet will generally stop and wait, while those dressed as if they were running the TDF will, 9 times out of 10, ignore the light or stop sign, especially if they are turning right. I'm old, ride an old Raleigh 3 speed and generally whether wearing a helmet or not I look forward to the next stop sign so I can stop and rest a bit. Traffic signals are so unpredictable as they might turn green before I'm ready to go.
Old 09-19-11, 07:02 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by larwyn
I thought so too, but it proves true almost every time. Those riding in jeans and t-shirt without a helmet will generally stop and wait, while those dressed as if they were running the TDF will, 9 times out of 10, ignore the light or stop sign, especially if they are turning right. I'm old, ride an old Raleigh 3 speed and generally whether wearing a helmet or not I look forward to the next stop sign so I can stop and rest a bit. Traffic signals are so unpredictable as they might turn green before I'm ready to go.
I have to go with contango here. Stop signs maybe 50/50 but red lights are almost the sole practice of the fixie rider who almost never wears a helmet. We have tons of cyclists in our area and even many MUP riders on Hybrids wear helmets. Kids have to wear a helmet. At least that is how it seems in Southern California.
Old 09-19-11, 07:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The United States implemented CAFE rules, a big complex expensive paper-work laden bureaucracy that had a hole big enough for a Cadillac Escalade to get through, many other countries used the opposite approach, they simply slapped an excise tax on fuel. Gasoline is 1/3rd more expensive in Canada, the difference is the tax, and that is why Canadians buy smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles then Americans do. Shale isn't being done, because the extraction cost is so high. The Tar Sands in Canada didn't make economic sense until oil surpassed $45/barrel, because that is the extraction cost, shale hasn't yet reached the extraction cost, your not going to like your SUV when it does.
As long as the market place sets the cost and I have a choice, I'll be happy. When the government distorts the market to control my behavior, then it ticks me off. I have had three SUV's. I now have a pick-up and a compact SUV.

I haul a lot of stuff and I do it often. The government won't help me with my stuff when they artificially inflate prices as in EuroLand. There, they can't afford a lot of stuff to begin with. We won't either if the government continues micromanaging our lives.

Euroland is apparantly coming apart at the seams. They'll have even less stuff to haul

Those who like high energy prices should consider moving. EuroLand needs immigrants.

Al
Old 09-19-11, 07:58 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
The primary reason for a cyclists licence, or a requirement that a cyclist carry a drivers licence, is that when they do get caught disregarding the rules of the road, the police officer has the proper name and address for the ticket. As for pedestrians, I think it would be impractical, and I would think people on sidewalk bicycles should be exempt.
With todays computers in the cop car, name and date of birth is all they need to get your:
address
home phone
cell phone
arrest record
conviction record
warrents
drivers license
license plate numbers and VINs
And in Honolulu - your bicycle registration number and serial number

A bicycle operstors license is just as much a waste of time as for pedestrians. Cop to ten year old riding to school - "license and registration or I will have to arrest you".

Last edited by CB HI; 09-19-11 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-20-11, 06:09 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
As long as the market place sets the cost and I have a choice, I'll be happy. When the government distorts the market to control my behavior, then it ticks me off. I have had three SUV's. I now have a pick-up and a compact SUV.

I haul a lot of stuff and I do it often. The government won't help me with my stuff when they artificially inflate prices as in EuroLand. There, they can't afford a lot of stuff to begin with. We won't either if the government continues micromanaging our lives.

Euroland is apparantly coming apart at the seams. They'll have even less stuff to haul

Those who like high energy prices should consider moving. EuroLand needs immigrants.

Al
Some people need a 4x4 for work, if I get a promotion I am hoping for, I will be in that group as well, it's just the way things are. Then again, I expect that my employer will compensate me for the fuel used for work, and that I will drive that vehicle very little outside of that. Part of what I get for my extra gasoline tax dollars is that more of the cost of road building and maintenance is covered by gasoline taxes, which means the government has more money available for other things, like oh, government sponsored health care insurance. This is even more the case in Europe, where things are not as bad off as your media tells you, and things are a lot worse off in the United States, then your government allows your media to tell you.
Old 09-20-11, 06:30 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Al
You must hate the US oil and food markets then. The federal government mucks around in the pricing for those markets to a great extent.

Example: True costs for a gallon of gasoline should be about $10. Lettuce should be about $3 a head.
Old 09-20-11, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Al
I couldn't possibly speak with any authority on how things are going in Europe because I only get over there every other year or so, you'd need to be there much more often than that to make a valid assessment. But I do live in the US and it sure seems like things have been better on a financial level than they are now. I'm not sure the unregulated market place thing is going so good.
Old 09-20-11, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gear
I couldn't possibly speak with any authority on how things are going in Europe because I only get over there every other year or so, you'd need to be there much more often than that to make a valid assessment. But I do live in the US and it sure seems like things have been better on a financial level than they are now. I'm not sure the unregulated market place thing is going so good.
I have a friend in the Netherlands. He says it's "dire times", because their unemployment figures are at 5%, and politicos in the conservative party there are trying to suggest austerity measures, such as reducing vacation stipends.

"Dire times", "fiscal insecurity", and "tearing apart at the seams" seems to be quite subjective. Especially hearing someone talk about 5% unemployment being "dire", seeing as here in the US the figure is double that.
Old 09-20-11, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UberGeek
I have a friend in the Netherlands. He says it's "dire times", because their unemployment figures are at 5%, and politicos in the conservative party there are trying to suggest austerity measures, such as reducing vacation stipends.
Can your friend pass along some info on the Netherland's version of Social Security? I've heard that retirees earn about the same amount as they did while working.
Old 09-20-11, 01:32 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I have to say that locally a helmet and riding kit on a current or even vintage bicycle don't mean running a stop sign or a red light. Most local riders in our 2 county area respect the road regulations pretty well regardless of how they are dressed and their safety equipment.

Sorry riders in your area do this and make a bad name for others. Enjoy your rides Larry and stick around the 50+ forum.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-20-11, 02:44 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a recent article on Arizona's plans to improve bicycle safety. In 2009, 25 cyclists died, and we had the 4th highest bicycle fatality rate in the nation. Among the interesting findings from the study the state paid to have performed:

- Half involved a bike or motorist failing to yield, with cars twice as often to blame as bikes.
- Half occurred when a car was turning right.
- Half occurred when a bike traveled counter to traffic.
- A third involved a bicycle on a sidewalk.
- Less than a quarter happened at night or dusk.

There is data provided on which intersections and roads are most dangerous, and the common factor seems to be proximity to a freeway (frontage roads, on-off ramps and such).

Read more: https://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...#ixzz1YWktXg5J
Old 09-20-11, 06:43 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Here is a recent article on Arizona's plans to improve bicycle safety. In 2009, 25 cyclists died, and we had the 4th highest bicycle fatality rate in the nation. Among the interesting findings from the study the state paid to have performed:

- Half involved a bike or motorist failing to yield, with cars twice as often to blame as bikes.
- Half occurred when a car was turning right.
- Half occurred when a bike traveled counter to traffic.
- A third involved a bicycle on a sidewalk.
- Less than a quarter happened at night or dusk.

There is data provided on which intersections and roads are most dangerous, and the common factor seems to be proximity to a freeway (frontage roads, on-off ramps and such).

Read more: https://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...#ixzz1YWktXg5J
This jibes with what I've read of most bicycle-car accident figures.

Last edited by dahut; 09-20-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-20-11, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UberGeek
You must hate the US oil and food markets then. The federal government mucks around in the pricing for those markets to a great extent.

Example: True costs for a gallon of gasoline should be about $10. Lettuce should be about $3 a head.
I don't know about a distorted oil market as it's far less distorted than the so-called green energies. The food market is in fact badly distorted by subsidies and price controls. For one thing, the subsidies for corn and other grain makes producing junk food very cheap which contributes to the obesity problem.

Al
Old 09-20-11, 07:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
I haven't been there for some 12 years. The authority I speak with is Der Spegel, The WSJ, Wash. Times, Wash Post, Weekly standard, The telegraph, and a few other on-line news sources which I peruse daily. I doubt I could possibly learn as much by an on-scene presence.

S & P downgraded Italy's credit rating yesterday. Greece interest rates on their bonds is like 90% they are such a bad credit risk. The French are afraid of a downgrade due to their highly leveraged banks (Greek debt) and it's touch and go for Spain and Portugal.

The big issue now is how much Germany will do to bail out the week economies before they default and will the EU float some kind of bond to support the bailout as well or will the EU split into a tiered arrangement and let those who's debt is overwhelming fend for themselves. Not being a fan of wealth redistribution, I vote for the later.

What happens over there doesn't stay there like in Vegas. It affects our economy as well.

Al
Old 09-20-11, 08:18 PM
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still holding out for the jetpack I was promised 25 years ago. . .
Old 09-21-11, 07:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More related to the topic from der Spiegel. I'm surprised that Seattle didn't make the list.

Al
Amsterdam Is World's Top City for Cyclists
Which major global city is the most bike-friendly? A group from Copenhagen has created a list of the top 20 across the world. While there may be few shocks in the names at the top, there is one surprise -- Tokyo is above Berlin. By Holger Dambeck more...
Old 09-21-11, 02:59 PM
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are they bike friendly because they want to be or they have to be? Hmm. . .
Old 09-21-11, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
They just rebuilt a section of road, East if here, in building this section of road, they made it 2m wider, they haven't put the lines on it yet, but from what it looks, the outer metre on each side, will be a bike lane. This is the cheapest way to add a bike lane.
Provincial or regional?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.