Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I fainted today! What the...? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/768723-i-fainted-today-what.html)

tabriz 09-16-11 09:11 PM

I fainted today! What the...?

So, I'm here in Moab getting ready to ride the Skinny Tire Century tomorrow, my first Century. DH and I are noodling around town and decide to go out to look over the Colorado River. On the way back, we walk across the highway and as I'm getting back on, I lose control of my bike and ram the handlebar into the concrete barrier on the side of the road, at the same time holding myself up with one arm (don't want to scratch the paint!) against said barrier. Meanwhile I'm trying to get my left foot out of the pedal, and the whole pedal comes off with my shoe! I get off to inspect the damage and feel really dizzy, lightheaded and disoriented. My husband comes over and asks if I'm alright, and I say no, I feel really funny, then I collapse. Fortunately DH catches me and holds me up. After I come to I still feel funny and just sit there for a while. DH rides back to the hotel to get the car and pick me up. By the time he comes back I'm feeling more or less normal again.

Any ideas on why this happened? It's not the elevation, I live at a higher elevation than Moab. It wasn't hot, we weren't riding hard at all, just coasting about. I didn't hit my head on anything, and nothing else feels sore. I'm at a loss. I would think if it was a heart attack I'd have after symptoms? I know women experience them differently, but surely I would have some lingering aftereffect?

On the plus side, I got brand new pedals today!

Tabriz

B. Carfree 09-16-11 09:21 PM

When you bent over to check the broken pedal, your vascular system had to deal with a dramatic change in the pressure needed to supply the brain with blood, which it did. When you stood back up, situation reversed. You suddenly had insufficient blood pressure to supply the brain. As we say on Team Bozo, "No Brain, No Pain", at least until you hit the asphalt.

You may have experienced this after a protracted bout of sitting at a desk and then standing up quickly. It doesn't mean anything is wrong. In fact, it means there is something very right about your pipes.

bikepro 09-16-11 09:59 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss such an episode. Feeling lightheaded is one thing, passing out completely is another. Are you having any other unusual symptoms? The reason I ask is I had a similar experience about three years ago. After a trip to the ER, and more tests than you'll see on an episode of House, I was having by-pass surgery -- even though I've ridden for over 30 years.

robberry 09-16-11 10:50 PM

Did you not eat beforehand? How did you "lose control of the bike?" I'd probably go get a checkup and tell the doctor what happened.

Cyclomania 09-16-11 11:17 PM

Sounds like you may have been a little dehydrated from being in the heat and exercising. Perhaps your judgment had become impaired from your state of dehydration, since you went flying into that concrete barrier. From the shock of the event, recovery, your heart may have been beating at a high rate from adrenalin and compromised your bodies ability to pump blood efficiently throughout your system, especially your brain. Besides that the lack of volume of blood due to dehydration made your blood pressure low, also a high heart rate can make one's blood pressure low.

Were you extra thirsty when you got home? If you continue to experience black outs, fainting etc, go see a health professional immediately!

I would recommend a day of rest. RN speaking here.

kr32 09-17-11 04:26 AM

I would be asking a doctor not BF.
Sounds serious to me.

bruce19 09-17-11 05:12 AM

See a doctor...now!

BikeWNC 09-17-11 07:24 AM

Maybe you're pregnant. Whether that is a possibility or not, go see a doctor.

donheff 09-17-11 07:33 AM

Unfortunately the safe, and prudent, response is to visit the doc who will, in tunrn, send you to a cardiologist. The problem is that fainting can be the result of many benign to serious issues. You need to be sure. I went through something similar and had all the tests only to get a clean bill of health. I suffer from orthostatic hypotension (carefree's description) so dizzy spells are commonplace for me. But I had never actually passed out until I had an episode (coupled with dehydration) on the bike. Since then I have experienced two repeats while riding. Fortunately they never happen while I am in motion - just when I am stopped or getting up after a short rest. It passes quickly but is still alarming.

OldsCOOL 09-17-11 08:02 AM

Extremely low fat diets can be responsible for the light headedness and even passing out if pressed hard enough.

Just tossing another cause into the equation, all disclaimers apply.

jim p 09-17-11 08:08 AM

You could do a test. Do a forward fold and hold it for about 2 minutes and then stand up quickly. If you start to black out immediately go back to the forward fold and then very slowly stand up after you feel normal again. If you do this test you could be putting yourself at risk.

DnvrFox 09-17-11 09:02 AM

If you do this test you could be putting yourself at risk.
Confused. Why would one do a test that puts them at risk? Did I miss something?

jim p 09-17-11 09:14 AM

When you go to the doctor and do a stress test you have to sign forms stating that you approve the procedure and you realize the risk.

kr32 09-17-11 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13239235)
Confused. Why would one do a test that puts them at risk? Did I miss something?

Another reason to go to a doctor instead of listening to the BF ones.

Peter_C 09-17-11 10:59 AM

A Doctor is the safe bet. Back when I was also on Ace inhibitors, I ran a really low blood pressure. Without testing (at the time it happened) you may not know the cause, of which there are many possibilities - some benign, and some serious. Low blood sugar from not eating recently enough, not enough fluids, to more serious issues like lowered blood pressure due to a serious cause, and the list can go on.

No one can tell you from here what the cause was 'for sure' - we can all guess. Now me personally? I'd simply watch and wait to see if it repeats, but I am under multiple DR's care, and am tired of so many visits, you on the other hand, may not have seen a DR in some time, so it could be different for you. Do you have a BP cuff? Do you use it? And so on...

CHAS 09-17-11 11:18 AM

I know the docs at the Moab ER. They are active people. Go see one. Tell the doc hi from me.

VNA 09-17-11 11:21 AM

Yes only a doctor and medical tests are the only way to go.

And it can be so many different medical problems that no one here not even a doctor can give you a response without seeing and testing you!

I would not wait to see a doctor either.

Passing out while exercising is not to be ignored--from my own experience with Pituitary/thyroid troubles!

Good luck

kr32 09-17-11 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by VNA (Post 13239590)

I would not wait to see a doctor either.

Passing out while exercising is not to be ignored-

Good luck

your words here{I lose control of my bike and ram the handlebar into the concrete barrier on the side of the road**
What if you lost control and went the other way, into traffic? good chance you would not be asking question here if there was a car or truck coming.

Monoborracho 09-17-11 04:23 PM

MRI and CT scans first, BF posts later.

ModeratedUser150120149 09-17-11 04:46 PM

tabriz: Unless your goal was to stir things a bit and generate more posts you must be regreting starting this thread. I hope in the time since you started the thread you decided to see someone who could do some meaningful examination and analysis. If you haven't perhaps the light headedness came from a sudden loss of skull contents?

Philipaparker 09-17-11 07:29 PM

Go to the doctor immediately! I just had a friend die of an enlarged heart. He was a tri-athlete, wasn't over weight, extremely healthy one of his symptoms was dizziness. Listen to your body and you doctor.

tabriz 09-17-11 08:19 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I posted about it because it was pretty scary. THis morning I felt fine so went ahead with the century, and didn't have another episode so I guess it is nothing serious. I do have an appt with my doctor soon so I'll mention it to her.

Tabriz

cleon 09-17-11 08:52 PM

+1

Originally Posted by kr32 (Post 13238699)
I would be asking a doctor not BF.
Sounds serious to me.

Nightshade 09-17-11 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by bikepro (Post 13238179)
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss such an episode. Feeling lightheaded is one thing, passing out completely is another. Are you having any other unusual symptoms? The reason I ask is I had a similar experience about three years ago. After a trip to the ER, and more tests than you'll see on an episode of House, I was having by-pass surgery -- even though I've ridden for over 30 years.

There many medical reasons for you to pass out so don't guess!!!!

Passing out should be your ticket to the doctors office ASAP!!!

Ask about an "Transient ischemic attack" when you see the doctor........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_ischemic_attack

NOS88 09-17-11 08:58 PM

You lost consciousness. I'd do more than "mention it". There is a disturbing trend with many males not to have a safe level of health seeking behaviors. It usually goes like this, "Ah, it wasn't that bad."; "It isn't a problem right now."; "I feel OK today."

Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's not. Do more than just mention it.