Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-11, 05:06 PM   #1
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Idiot biker on rail-trail

My wife and I were riding this afternoon on a local rail-trail that has a hard-packed surface with some loose gravel. It's developed a definite "two-track" look, so when we're riding side by side we tend to ride in the tracks, moving over when necessary. Most, but not all, overtaking riders will do the "on your left" bit in case I didn't notice them in my mirror.

So today we were riding and talking, cruising along at about 12-14mph, when my wife said "There's a bike coming up". I glanced in my mirror and at the same time sped up and started bearing to the right to move over when this guy shouts "In the middle!" [!!] and next thing I know some young hotshot is passing in between my wife and me with barely a handlebar's width available!

This really ticked me off, as if I'd been a little quicker to make my move to pull over, he could easily have taken all three of us down, resulting in serious gravel rash at a minimum. Two miles farther down the trail I was still fuming about it, but of course he was long gone.

Why do these fast guys think everyone else is obligated to magically get out of their way, especially on a multi-use trail with all sorts of bikers, runners, and walkers?
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 05:20 PM   #2
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
So did you learn your lesson to stay in the right lane/side of the trail as you are suppose to?
Old 09-18-11, 05:40 PM   #3
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Sorry, but this one is your fault. If there are only two tracks, stay right. Quit fuming and enjoy the rest of the day.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 05:51 PM   #4
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have done this, passed in the middle of two cyclists. But I will also give a verbal warning. Sorry that this happened to you!
Cyclomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 06:20 PM   #5
ericm979

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's the passing rider's duty to pass safely. But you should be paying closer attention to what's behind you, and it's both common courtesy and common sense to make it easy for passing riders to pass you safely.
ericm979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 06:41 PM   #6
Triode

Bikes:
Actually, it depends on the rules of the "rail trail"

If it is in fact a designated Multi-Use-Path - it probably has some form of rules.

If in fact there are trail rules, do they have something like

"Announce yourself when passing from behind?"

the rules are posted at various points.

The "rail trail" I ride is nicely paved. Trail rules posted including,

"announce yourself when passing from behind" and go on to specify a verbal warning or a bicycle bell may be used

whether we agree with the rules on the road, or on a trail - in the event of a collision, someone that clearly does not follow the rules is liable.

ETA - our trail rules specify that you must pass on the left

Last edited by Triode; 09-18-11 at 06:44 PM.
Triode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 06:44 PM   #7
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Bikes:
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
What gets me is when two riders are approaching you, and they are riding side-by-side, and they dam near force you off the right side of the trail. It's usually young guys riding next to a girl who do this.
Old 09-18-11, 06:53 PM   #8
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think both of you were wrong....

When you are side by side, you need to be ready to get into single file quickly.

Overtaking riders need to be ready to slow down and wait to pass when safe.

I was on a MUP today and my biggest issue was the small kids. They are very unpredictiable. Sometimes weaving down the path blocking traffic in both directions.
Most of the time parental unit needed to give kid directions as what they needed to do.
The other issue was a rider hauling a trailer - who stopped in the narrowest part of the trail. Lucky I was traveling at a speed I could stop/avoid problems.
Ali_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 07:06 PM   #9
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
We have one nicely paved rail-trail around here that's used by all sorts of people from strolling seniors to roller bladers to bikers of all ages. What scares me is that it's so fast and smooth that I occasionally see a small group of roadies pace-lining it down the trail at what must be 25mph or more, which seems way too fast ("speed limit" is posted as 15). There are often families biking on the trail, and small kids can be really unpredictable as to which way they might jink at any time, not to mention people walking who can't hear the bikes approaching on the asphalt like you can on a packed-limestone trail.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 07:08 PM   #10
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
So, the guy called out and did what he said he was going to do, and didn't hit you?
I'm good with that.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 07:09 PM   #11
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Maybe trails like this should have a speed limit; like 12 or 15 mph or something. Just an idea... I've never ridden on a trail like this so I'm not sure.
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 07:26 PM   #12
robberry

Bikes: Trek 3900, Trek 2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
So did you learn your lesson to stay in the right lane/side of the trail as you are suppose to?
Truth.
robberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 07:28 PM   #13
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan
Above posts all give good reasons why I "do it in the road" and avoid MLPs and bike lanes. John Forester got it right.
ciocc_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 05:08 AM   #14
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
So, the guy called out and did what he said he was going to do, and didn't hit you?
I'm good with that.
+1 I probably would have been annoyed with myself for not knowing he was coming soon enough to make it to the single file riding formation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
Maybe trails like this should have a speed limit; like 12 or 15 mph or something. Just an idea... I've never ridden on a trail like this so I'm not sure.
I would not like to see this. I think there are people who can ride at remarkable speeds and keep safe. I think there are others that have a hard time keeping safe regardless of how fast they are going. I would be surprised if speed limits had any impact on this.
Old 09-19-11, 05:25 AM   #15
JacktheFlash

Bikes:
I agree with the posters, riding abreast is the cause of your concerns. I must admit passing in the middle a few times myself as some riders tend to act as if they are the ones using the path. The passing rider sis as he called out, its good.
JacktheFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 06:36 AM   #16
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)
Quote:
I know the MUP's 'round these parts do. 15mph. I'm trying every day to get a speeding ticket on there, but not quite there yet
UberGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 06:57 AM   #17
No Whey

Bikes:
Quote:
Agreed, but it reduces their effectiveness as transportation facilities for cycling.
Just don't call them that and I'm happy.
Declare them recreational paths (not specifically cycling facilities), and get the monies for building them out of a recreation budget, not a transportation budget.
No Whey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 08:23 AM   #18
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 All-City Cosmic Stallion, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I think we are being a little harsh on the OP. Not that he is without a share of the blame, but I don't think it is unreasonable to ride side by side on a lightly used MUP until someone approaches from behind or ahead and needs the other side of the path. He was a little slow to notice a rider approaching from behind and that rider was a little quick to choose the least safe path rather than give him a chance to move over. OP is guilty of slightly inconveniencing someone. Other guy is guilty of responding in a non-safe way to the inconvenience.

If the trail was busy, the onus shifts toward the OP, but I got the impression that there was not a lot of traffic on the MUP at the time.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-19-11 at 10:21 AM.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 08:54 AM   #19
stonefree
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater
Quote:
Some of our trails have a 10mph speed limit, but that doesn't slow down the young whippersnappers. There are even organized group rides on some of the local paved trails, so you know what that means. Around here group means race, and slow side by side pairs are just asking for trouble, if you don't want to be whooshed. I'm a far right wing bear, myself....at least on my bike.
stonefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 09:19 AM   #20
bigbadwullf

Bikes:
Getting quite tired of these posts...
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 10:32 AM   #21
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't ride MUPs very often, but when I do I am cautious and try to exercise patience with the other users. When I pass, I announce (voice and/or bell) and slow way down in anticipation of the unexpected. Gonzo riding is for the roads, not for MUPs. Yep, the OP could have been quicker to move over, but the passer taking the middle - crazy!

-G
gmt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 11:08 AM   #22
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
Why did you read them?
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 11:41 AM   #23
HawkOwl

Bikes:
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
My my, quite testy aren't we?

If this were on the road and using vehicle rules which cyclists are required to follow as well the overtaking cyclist was in the wrong on three counts. First, the vehicles being overtaken have the right of way. Second, the last vehicle that has an opportunity to avoid an accident is the at fault driver. Others might contribute but that one is the primary. Third, the overtaking cyclist gave warning too late for it to be meaningful.

Personally I think passing in the middle between two strangers is dumb, crazy, reckless, stupid, dangerous, unsafe, just asking for an accident. This may work on the race track with skilled drivers who all know and are folowing the rules. But, on the public road with strangers?!?
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 12:55 PM   #24
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Actually, it depends on the rules of the "rail trail"

If it is in fact a designated Multi-Use-Path - it probably has some form of rules.

If in fact there are trail rules, do they have something like

"Announce yourself when passing from behind?"

the rules are posted at various points.

The "rail trail" I ride is nicely paved. Trail rules posted including,

"announce yourself when passing from behind" and go on to specify a verbal warning or a bicycle bell may be used

whether we agree with the rules on the road, or on a trail - in the event of a collision, someone that clearly does not follow the rules is liable.

ETA - our trail rules specify that you must pass on the left
In Ohio, besides pass ing *only* on the left, and giving a verbal warning, the one passing must also pass *slowly*. I see nothing wrong with two riders riding side-by-side, as long as they are willing to move to the right when an oncoming or passing person is coming. My problem is with people riding side-by-side coming at me that think it's OK to simply tighten up a bit and still take over half the trail. So I (on a trike) must either stop or move off the edge of the path.

Passing at speed is lame in my book - as the trail is for all, not a personal training ground for wannabe racers.
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 12:57 PM   #25
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
Hehe - then don't read them? Of course, by replying, you encourage a type of post you do not like. If no one replied to a given post, the poster more than likely would take it that it's not of interest to others.
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote