Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

bike computer question

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

bike computer question

Old 09-25-11, 07:37 PM
Wreader
Trying to stay upright.

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads ~1996

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike computer question

I have a simple bike computer that tells me distance, time, split times, etc. Is there a computer that will tell me RPMs or do you just count them and use a watch? I think I am going too slowly with RPMs, but not sure how fast I should be going - I read 80-100 RPMs?
Old 09-25-11, 07:47 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Almost all of them have models that have "rpms". It will probably be called a "cadence" option. You have to mount an additional sensor, usually on the left chainstay, and a magnet on the inside of the left crank arm. The price, of course, will be higher.

Running and biking should be done at something close to 90/minute. There's lots of research about it. At my age I try to stay above 80.
Old 09-25-11, 08:23 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wake View Post
Almost all of them have models that have "rpms". It will probably be called a "cadence" option. You have to mount an additional sensor, usually on the left chainstay, and a magnet on the inside of the left crank arm. The price, of course, will be higher.

Running and biking should be done at something close to 90/minute. There's lots of research about it. At my age I try to stay above 80.
+1,and I use 85 to 95 as my range
Bud..
Old 09-25-11, 08:39 PM
TomD77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you spring for a Garmin, in addition to cadence, you can monitor (and store in your computer), everything you mentioned plus heart rate, altimeter, GPS location, per cent grade up or down. You can then graph up to 4 of the data sets. Below is a screen shot of a ride I did today with heart rate in red and elevation above seal level in green. Up at the top is a map of the ride and over on the left I can pull up any ride I've done since I got the unit just by clicking on the date.

Then, for the true data junkie, with a single click I can open a map of the ride in Google Earth. Hold your cursor over any point on the map and it will tell you what time you were there plus all of the other data points. I don't think this sort of thing appeals to everyone but if you're the sort to whom it appeals, it appeals a lot! Me, for example but I'm an engineer and we're like that.

Old 09-26-11, 10:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1884 Post(s)
Liked 1,143 Times in 722 Posts
70-90 RPMs is about right for me. I do try to keep my cadence over 70 going uphill, and 80 the rest of the time. Any lower and I risk hurting my knees.

Cateye Strada has a model with cadence. That's the low end, around $45-50. It's everything I need, and Cateye seems to understand waterproof better than any other (low-end) bicycle electronics maker. Recommended.
Old 09-26-11, 10:17 AM
Marauder9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a computer in Tesco yesterday with a cadence option for 15.
I have a normal computer from Tesco which cost 7.50 which does everything I need, speed, avg speed, time, trip time and total distance travelled. Does me but then I am tight
Old 09-26-11, 11:35 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Cadence is one of those things you want on a computer and once you get it- You rarely pay attention to it.

Count the Cadence for 15 seconds and multiply X 4. Or for 10 seconds and X6.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-26-11, 12:00 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 115 Posts
The CatEye Astrale 8 Bike Computer is a low cost (@ $30) computer with cadence: https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0_10000_202017

This is a good basic unit, I just installed one from Nashbar, perfect so far.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-27-11 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 12:01 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never found it difficult to count mine against the computer's clock function. I check it once or twice a year, tops.
Old 09-26-11, 02:46 PM
skinnysanta

Bikes: 1989 Panasonic DX2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Cateye Strada double wireless and it fills what needs I have so far. It would be nice to have heart rate too but it's not necessary for me at the moment.
Old 09-26-11, 04:34 PM
Wreader
Trying to stay upright.

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads ~1996

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Well, duh! I was picturing trying to watch my watch and ride at my "normal" rate, when I have a computer on the handlebars already. I just need to set it to "clock" and watch it for 15 seconds..... <sigh> I will try that for a while, and see how I am doing. I think I am well below 90. Thanks for the links. I will go look at what is available.
Old 09-27-11, 07:51 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cheap $10 computer here. I want to know distance and average speed. I let ME tell me how my cadence is.
But I do use my smartphone for other info. But I am riding a bike for pleasure and recreation, not for more information overload.
Old 09-27-11, 08:52 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Cateye Astrale 8 computer with cadence. I have different harnesses on each bike and switch the head between bikes. During rides I usually have the computer in the cadence and time modes. I frequently look at cadence while riding. If I don't monitor cadence the rpms will drop, usually due to having some song in my head dictating cadence since my head always seems to play the blues. It’s never the whole song, just the same parts over and over. After the ride I can look at distance and max speed if wanted.
Old 09-27-11, 07:36 PM
raymeedc

Bikes: Rans Fusion, Rans Cruz, '93 Specialized Stumpjumper, "72 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm installing a Sigma 1609 STS wireless computer w/ cadence on my Rans Cruz tomorrow. I have (& have been totally satisfied with) a lower model wired Sigma without cadence on my Stumpjumper. Looking forward to cadence tracking capability. This model also stores data for two separate bikes.
Old 09-27-11, 08:44 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldster View Post
+1,and I use 85 to 95 as my range
Bud..
It's very personal, actually. Beryl Burton, world-class time trialer of years ago was a notable "outlier" because she preferred a cadence of about 60 on her way to world record rides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Burton
Old 09-28-11, 01:04 AM
Laserman

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I chalked up the interest in cadence to be of interest mainly to racing type riders and paid little attention to it. I judged my gearing by "feel", if I felt I was mashing too hard I would drop down a gear, if I was moving my feet too fast I would go up a gear. I assumed that my cadence was between 60 and 70.

Another thread recently had me thinking about it and I realized that my cellphone had a countdown timer on it. I set the timer for 20 seconds and counted the rpms until the thing chirped. 3 tests came up at 28 revolutions and one came up 29 so my by feel cadence is between 84 and 87.

Works fine for me.
Old 09-29-11, 07:21 PM
Philipaparker

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a Garmin (I use mine and really like it) try their outlet store https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/?cid=2886&chid=1600 or try Ebay someone's always upgrading to a power meter and selling their Garmin.

Cadence is worth monitoring remember you can lift a 5 pound weight a lot more times than you can lift a 100 pound one, so try to keep you cadence high that is what all your gears are for. If you see racers they are always at a constant cadence uphill they go slower but they are pedaling just as fast in a lower gear and down hill they are coasting and pedaling at the same cadence, on the flats they are going at race speed in a high gear but at the same cadence. Check it out next time you watch a bicycling event. There are exceptions on the really tough pitches where the grade is 17 to 20% you have to stand up and power through but on moderate climbs 7 to 9% you can maintain a high cadence.