Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My BIG event is this weekend!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-03-11, 09:14 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A 2 day 150 mile event. "Ride Around Galveston Bay". I've been training and feel I am in good shape to complete the event. How should I approach these last few days before the event? And, am I wrong for feeling competitive and wanting to finish at least in the top 10%? Each day is 75 miles. What do you think a respectable time is for this distance?
Old 10-03-11, 09:20 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Rest one or two days before the ride.

It is a social ride....not a race.

Have fun talking with the other riders.

Take many many pics and post then.

Old 10-03-11, 09:35 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Rest one or two days before the ride.

It is a social ride....not a race.

Have fun talking with the other riders.

Take many many pics and post then.
Yes, your right... I am looking forward to a fun weekend!
Old 10-03-11, 10:07 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by teachme
And, am I wrong for feeling competitive and wanting to finish at least in the top 10%?
Of course not. Ride your rides the way that will give you the greatest enjoyment out of cycling. If you want to push it, then push it.

Each day is 75 miles. What do you think a respectable time is for this distance?
That is such an individual thing. I did a 70 mile event yesterday in 3:12, after hitting the wall 40 miles in and limping home (had been sick leading up to it), and that was a disappointing time, as I wanted to come in under 3 hours. Do you use a heart rate monitor? If you don't know what a good time is for you, I'd suggest using "perceived effort" to gauge your pace, and making it something that is sustainable. Pick it up as you go if you feel strong toward the end. Or find riders that seem to be about the same fitness, and hang with them.

Eat a lot, carb heavy, leading up to it. And especially with with a two day, pound down the nutrition during and after the ride.
Old 10-03-11, 11:45 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You are an experienced rider so I take it you will drink and graze during the ride. But one thing I would do from now on is Carbo load. Plenty of pasta and rice for the rest of the week. Day before the ride drink a couple of "Extra" litres of water and before the ride starts drink some more.

I did a ride yesterday and in 5 hours drank 4 litres of water- had food on the ride and a good B-B-Q afterwards Today I have not stopped drinking and I am hungry. So pack Fig newtons- Dried fruit-some cake- and anything else you can get in your pockets to keep the energy up for the 2nd day.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-03-11, 01:32 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
That is such an individual thing. I did a 70 mile event yesterday in 3:12, after hitting the wall 40 miles in and limping home (had been sick leading up to it), and that was a disappointing time, as I wanted to come in under 3 hours.
I'm trying to imagine what it must be like to feel disappointed in averaging nearly 22mph on a 70 mile ride. Nope. I give up. That is beyond my comprehension.
Old 10-03-11, 02:00 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'm trying to imagine what it must be like to feel disappointed in averaging nearly 22mph on a 70 mile ride. Nope. I give up. That is beyond my comprehension.
Ditto.

Even so, I agree with AZ's advice to the OP to ride whatever ride makes one happy. But unless the organizers are timing people (which is rarely done in non-race events, at least in my experience), you'll likely never know where you place in the overall scheme of things. So if comparing your performance to others' is key for you, you may be in for a disappointment.
Old 10-03-11, 02:17 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts
There's a memory. Sometime back in the eighties I rode from New Orleans to Houston and somehow spent a night camping in the middle of Oak Island. It's a little tugboat town on Galveston Bay. I hardly remember it except that there was one bar/restaurant/store and people really partied.
Should be a fun ride around, I don't get the competition thing,just have fun!
Marc
Old 10-03-11, 02:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
Ditto.

Even so, I agree with AZ's advice to the OP to ride whatever ride makes one happy. But unless the organizers are timing people (which is rarely done in non-race events, at least in my experience), you'll likely never know where you place in the overall scheme of things. So if comparing your performance to others' is key for you, you may be in for a disappointment.
I don't really need to know my time, but I think it would be cool if the leader of the ride is in my sight when I finish. But, I may be thinking unrealistically. Disappointment is not going to enter the ballgame on this one. I am really excited about sharing the weekend with everyone.
Old 10-03-11, 02:20 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Agreed that this is not a race. Don't worry about the time. Just have a good time.
To conserve some energy try riding the first 40-50 miles in a slightly easier gear than you usually ride in. It worked for me when I did my first metric.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.