Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Rides Near the N. Ga, Upstate and WNC Area.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 08:08 AM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a heads up for anyone within a reasonable drive to these rides. This coming weekend there is the Tour de Leaves out of Tryon, NC. It is a very nice route though rolling horse country in NC and SC then climbs back into NC through Saluda and descends the Greenville Watershed and back up through Saluda down to Tryon. It's a figure eight so on the first time through Saluda it's easy to just turn down the hill and head to the barn if needed. The weather looks to be perfect for this one!

Later in the month, more local to me, there is the Tour de Franklin out of Franklin, NC. It's a great course, another figure eight, which leads though the rolling sometimes steep hills around the Little Tennessee River Valley. It's mostly low traffic though the last few miles of the route are on a wide shoulder of US 64. 64 out that way isn't very busy. I think the descent of Winding Stairs Gap makes it worth it though. If you haven't been 55mph on a bike before this descent is a good place to try.

The first weekend of November brings the Tour de Tugaloo. Chances are we'll be riding the TdT again this year.

NealH and I will be riding these rides. Come out and join us, or drop us if you prefer. haha
Old 10-11-11, 04:32 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the ride info. Both of the first two are 9 hour drives for me. I'd need to do them as part of a larger vacation instead of a weekend trip. Unfortunately I'm a bit tapped-out vacation-wise I'll keep them in mind for next year though!
Old 10-11-11, 10:04 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
Thanks for the ride info. Both of the first two are 9 hour drives for me. I'd need to do them as part of a larger vacation instead of a weekend trip. Unfortunately I'm a bit tapped-out vacation-wise I'll keep them in mind for next year though!
If you ever want to ride around down here just let me know. I bet Neal would join us too.
Old 10-11-11, 04:38 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to always take advantage of western NC riding opportunities.....and VA, and SC, GA, FL, etc. But I think the western NC rides tend to reign supreme due to the often dramatic changes in terrain and landscapes. The Tour de Leaves this coming weekend is one of the better events, in a cycling friendly area of hills, valleys, horses, and river gorges, and of course the Green River Cove road - a switchback climb in the best tradition of switchback climbs. I've got my 11/34 cassette on my Tarmac so it will be ready when the grade rises into the double digit territory.
Old 10-12-11, 06:59 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andy - Trying to decide about Tour de Leaves. Was just in Glenville this past weekend with my bride sans kids. Hiked at Gorges State Park, Dinner at the Orchard and Gamekeeper Tavern, coupla' bottles of wine, weather almost perfect. No riding, but maybe this weekend???