Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cure for Lethargy?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cure for Lethargy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 02:38 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cure for Lethargy?

Managed to get some enthusiasm back into my riding after a summer of feeling lethargic. I think I can class myself as a roadie now but for 16 years I was a Mountain biker. Started in 1990 when a mate of mine realised I had a Bike type object and encouraged me to take it up on the hills for a walk. Every slope and I was walking but I enjoyed being out in the fresh air up on those hills with no- one else about. That was in the winter and gradually over the next few years I changed one crap bike to a slightly better crap bike till I got a Kona Explosif in 93. My first quality bike and it ruined me for any lower quality. Got into XC riding- never got into all the Downhill stuff and hopping the bike over rocks. Did for a couple of years try racing but even that was not for me. Got into the long distance enduros and and it was nothing unusual for me to go on a 65 mile offroad training ride for the Big One I used to do each year.

Then in 2006 I did the Big One and it hurt. I know the weather was against us but it was at this time I decided to give road riding a try. Started off on a lowly bike and enjoyed it so the Quality bike(s) came in for the road. All going well but I finished up doing most of the rides solo as my mates were still mountain biking. We used to get out on a few Metrics together but I was still a solo rider. Occasionally I would get talked into a few of the Mountain bike organised rides but My heart was now on the road.

But this year I have not been able to ride much. Last winter was cold- and snowy and windy and not nice. Couple that with a Knee problem that has carried on for most of the year so far and I doubt that I have got in more than 200 miles a month. About half the milage I would reckon on and most of that has only been on short Pie rides to the Seafront so Besides feeling lethargic- I was also getting bored.

Till last Sunday. Only 4 of us but I joined in on an offroad Jaunt. My Bianchi Grizzly was loaned to a roadie mate of mine and I took out the Kona. It may be a 20 year old bike but it still works.

I enjoyed that ride but I realised that what I really missed was the thrill of offroading. The pic above is on a broken asphalt track that gets you to the top of the hills. It is steep and hard but after a 12 year break since I last climbed it- The Kona and my legs can still do it. Since that ride- I have realised what I have been missing and that is the challenge. Road riding is OK and I still feel that hills are the best bits- but struggling up a 15% hill for a mile with cars and trucks buzzing round you and the challenge is not cycling- It is staying safe.

So I am going back to offroading for a bit. The enjoyment I got out of last week was phenominal. Only problem is that I am so much into road riding now- that I might have to rethink my ideas on what My next bike will be. I am just a bit worried that a Cyclocross may not get me up on top of the hills as easily as the Kona did.

The hills may not be high but they Ain't Arf Steep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kona top of Bo-Beep.jpg (97.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
The hill.jpg (51.7 KB, 20 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 10-21-11 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-21-11, 03:04 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Time to take the Full Suspension plunge.
Old 10-21-11, 03:24 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cycle cross for sure. Those bikes are pure poetry.
Even if you don't ride cycle cross,
it is good to have at least an Ultegra equipped full carbon CX bike in the shed.
Old 10-21-11, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I fully understand the way motor vehicle traffic can suck the joy out of riding. My wife and I used to joke that there is something in exhaust fumes that makes people cranky, both the motorists emitting them and the cyclists they share them with. (We made this up while arguing with each other on hwy 89 in CA, on what is now ACA's Sierra Cascade route. We decided to leave the paved road and head off on the dirt roads. It was a great 3500 mile tour after that decision.) I'm glad you have found a way to get the fun back into the saddle.
Old 10-21-11, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lethargy cured!
Old 10-21-11, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
There's nothing wrong with variety. I knew a guy who, BTW is older than I, owned a bike shop, was a serious roadie, and raced BMX on weekends.

Do whatever feels good at the moment; no need to put a label on oneself. Then go drink some beer.
Old 10-21-11, 06:46 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always been a big fan of variety. But my wife didn't agree. Now we're ex's.

I found my best treatment for lethargy is a titanium supplement: My GT Xizang is the perfect hardtail TITANIUM mountain bike that, with appropriate Schwalbe Marathon Plus road tires, is also a damned decent everything bike. Variety and titanium, lads. Variety and titanium.
Old 10-22-11, 12:29 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have a Full suspendion sitting in the shed. And that is where it will stay. Giant Trance bought by my son-on-Law and it is heavy. Too heavy for a days riding up the hills. Comfort yes but not a bike I enjoy.

But I reckon I could build up an 18Lbs full rigid L/w Steel frame bike for around £1,000 and that would give me the XC bike I would ride--OR the Giant TCX 1 at around £1100 could fit the bill with a change to the gearing OR there is a possibility of trying a 29er with 10spd to see if that works----Or I could upgrade the Kona to give me better gears for climbing OR I could stop thinking about what I want and just go out and ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-22-11, 06:02 AM

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding dirt/mud/trees/rocks prevents Lethargy.

Locally hunting season prevents Riding dirt/mud/trees/rocks (most of the week).
Old 10-22-11, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
There's nothing wrong with variety. I knew a guy who, BTW is older than I, owned a bike shop, was a serious roadie, and raced BMX on weekends.

Do whatever feels good at the moment; no need to put a label on oneself. Then go drink some beer.
Beer last!! Crap!! I've been doing this bass-ackwards all these years. No wonder doing what ever felt good at the moment always got me into so much trouble!!

Stapfam, lethargy has been my constant companion this past year or so. It appears that you've gotten past your slow spell though.
Old 10-22-11, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
stapfam, Sometime in the early part of this century I discovered that I was buying framesets and basically building another of what I already had, and there wasn't anything wrong with what I already had. I was simply repurposing one bike for one mission.

Following a 2011 New Year's resolution I've sold three road bikes, but picked up a touring frame. The touring bike is the everything bike. It works on non technical off road, knee friendly gearing for distance riding and most anything else. The road bike is just a brillant handler that makes me grin and I recently changed from a 42T inner chainring to a 39T inner chainring in defference to my knee. The mountain bike now is almost strictly for off road technical stuff and that makes me grin also... I think it also enhances my road skills to some extent.

Now, what does the above have to do with lethargy? I think my cycling and attitude (OCDness?) has changed over the years. I no longer need the perfect bike for where ever or how ever I'm riding a particular day. Maybe I should't have read a book titled It's Not About the Bike.

Anyway, the all purpose touring frame has, in it's own way, enhanced my riding enjoyment of the other two bikes. I think if I'd bought a jack of all trades CX bike the result would've been the same. I hope this prattle has made a bit of sense.

Brad
Old 10-22-11, 08:47 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always felt that for me, nothing builds energy better than using energy. If I find myself in a 'funk' mood, depressed or low on energy, I know the only solution is to get on my bike and crank somewhere. The problem with me is, getting started. Once started, I don't want to quit.

I have found myself with a cloud of dread, anticipating the same old ride along the same old route, seeing the same old stuff. For me, I need someplace new to go and new sights to take in. I have a really low tolerance for boredom. It's a must for me to constantly find new places to ride. Are you ever like that?
Old 10-22-11, 11:14 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
I've always felt that for me, nothing builds energy better than using energy. If I find myself in a 'funk' mood, depressed or low on energy, I know the only solution is to get on my bike and crank somewhere. The problem with me is, getting started. Once started, I don't want to quit.

I have found myself with a cloud of dread, anticipating the same old ride along the same old route, seeing the same old stuff. For me, I need someplace new to go and new sights to take in. I have a really low tolerance for boredom. It's a must for me to constantly find new places to ride. Are you ever like that?
Yes, which is probably the reason I can't stand a trainer.

Brad
Old 10-22-11, 03:13 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
To a degree I understand how you feel Stapfam. Right now I am suffering a bit of the same thing. I like both my road and pretty good about both my MTB and my Raod bike. I enjoyed riding either and was enjoying pushing both to the best of my ability. Then after two rather long rides I came down with some kind of bug than had me off the bikes for a week. I tried to got back to riding as soon and as could but even after a second week I am just out of gas after 30 to 40 minutes of riding. I keep going back out but I just can't get back in the swing of things and it is hard to look forward to getting out and riding.