Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How important is viewing scenery on your rides?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-11, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonefree
Nice views and vistas all.

I'm not racing and have a multitasking mind so even when I'm always riding for fitness, I'm looking at the scenery, feeling the oneness. I couldn't ride a bent because it makes me feel like I'm on a couch watching a TV about to take a nap. Plus the scenery isn't all that good around here anyway and something could get the drop on me, or some surprise situation. There's never a chance here to be prone in the middle of a road approaching a blind corner with no worries, even on the MUP's. I don't see how bent riders do it. My handlebars are even with my saddle on all my bikes, so I'm always upright and looking around. There's plenty of time to be prone when I'm sleeping or I'm in the coffin.
That is one of the things that I have heard before. Some individuals just don't like the supine position. Riding more upright as you do probably helps you to enjoy the view. In riding bents there is the aspect of coming into corners as you mention. I myself find it fairly easy to pull my body upward to get a better view to see things coming directly from the side.

If you are traveling in areas that do have some interesting backdrops it is being able to get a widescreen view that helps one to keep awake on a bent. I admit there are times I have almost been able to nap while riding, not a good idea. A big plus is that in most aero position and cruising above 20 mph is that you can easily combine viewing and hammering together.

What really suprised me was how easily my LowRacer bent handled on the sections of Mickelson trail I did a few days ago. Running 1.35" tires on hardpacked gravel. As noted one has to use precautions when coming to intersections on the trail.

Some great scenery on the Mickelson trail, a MUP in the Black Hills.

No chance to fall asleep on this ride. Do have to be extra careful on this trail with intersections.

Disadvantage on LowRacer. I can't see over the railing!

Usually not limited to Tunnel view

Last edited by karjak; 11-01-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-01-11, 10:25 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I love to ride in beautiful places, and I also enjoy the sounds, smells and feel of riding in these places.

Like along the beautiful Oregon Coast

the deserts of the Canyonlands of Utah

The amazing Cascade Mountains of Oregon and Washington

Or the beautiful Willamette Valley with good friends
Old 11-01-11, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
I love to ride in beautiful places, and I also enjoy the sounds, smells and feel of riding in these places.
Been enjoying the great scenery pics of cyclists on their rides. Makes me want to get out there and enjoy. Sadly my riding season is about over here in the great plains of South Dakota. As someone mentioned before it is not just the eyeing of your surroundings but all the other senses that get involved when you become integrated into the landscape. Riding out in the elements surely hepls us all to stay young.
Old 11-01-11, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
When I drive over a route I have ridden I'm usually amazed about how much more I see driving than riding and some of the big obvious things I missed when riding. I'm a roadie riding fast on crappy narrow New England roads so my attention is focused on the road surface and traffic trying not to hit anything and not get hit.

In some respects it's a little like the difference of being a driver or a passenger in a car. The passenger can see a lot more than the driver.
Old 11-01-11, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not very important. I will notice it more in the future as i will be riding much slower. Actually i will notice the wildlife more, and bird watchers.
Old 11-01-11, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have arthritis in my neck so when I ride my road bike I minimize the amount of head twisting and amount I hold my head up. So I don't take in a lot of scenery. Enough to keep safe. But I still catch things, like the deer running away from me, the hawks and vultures circling, and the flocks of redpolls moving in for winter. On the hybrid I am more upright and see more. My hoped for N + 1 is a trike. I will not have to work the neck so hard and will be able to take in the scenery better but still get in miles.
Old 11-01-11, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I manage to train for racing and check out the scenery... but not while I'm in a paceline. Then I am focused on what the other riders are doing, in case they do something unexpected and I have to react.

If I am riding a big climb by myself or with a small group I'll check out the view on the way up (and down if I can spare the attention). Staring at the road is boring. It's not that hard to keep the bike going where it's supposed to go, watch for oncoming cars, road hazards, etc and still sneak some looks at the vista.
I prefer climbs that have a view at the top. The view adds to the reward.
Old 11-01-11, 03:08 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with Shifty - I ride for the scenary and I love all those places he mentioned, especially Utah and Oregon. it's what has gotten me through some long hard climbs and distances. This weekend can't wait... am mountain biking with friends up Maple Springs to Santiago Peak (the highest point in the photo below)... the trees will be turning color and the view on top is bar none. It's what makes the effort worth while...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 11-01-11, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I have posted the following on various Forums, usually on threads about motivation and boredom, but the last time to a thread about head position while riding:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I don't drive a car much, but when I do drive on my usual year-round cycle commuter routes, I'm always surprised at how much more I notice beyond the roadway than while on the bike. I have realized that I keep my head upright more in the car than while scrutinizing the road surface immediately ahead on the bike. Of course the road hazards are more urgent on the bike than the car. Nonetheless, I now try to keep my head upright and look around more when cycling.

A benefit of this practice is that my pleasant, but all-too-familiar commuter and training routes become more novel and enjoyable.
Old 11-02-11, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I ride for the scenery, but have to go through lots of fields to get to it. Illinois can be miles of boredom punctuated by locales of the purest scenic charm. Finding them is easiest on a bike, though.
Old 11-02-11, 11:36 AM

Bikes: paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy it much more now than I did just a few years ago.
Old 11-02-11, 12:00 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
When I drive over a route I have ridden I'm usually amazed about how much more I see driving than riding and some of the big obvious things I missed when riding. I'm a roadie riding fast on crappy narrow New England roads so my attention is focused on the road surface and traffic trying not to hit anything and not get hit.

In some respects it's a little like the difference of being a driver or a passenger in a car. The passenger can see a lot more than the driver.
I have had the opposite experience. I see, hear and smell much more along a route if I am cycling rather than driving. Perhaps part of that is because I so rarely drive I find that I must concentrate on the driving to stay safe. On a bike, everything is so easy that I am perfectly confident looking around a bit. I don't see how anyone can really hear or smell anything when zooming along in a car. It would be such a shame to miss out on all the wonderful things I experience by blocking out those perceptions.

I read several years ago that scent is the most powerful sensory component of memory. Perhaps that is why I still have vivid memories of places I have cycled but the places I have gone by car are just a blur.
Old 11-02-11, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Dends on the ride. If it is a tough training ride, scenery is nothing. If it is a tour ride, scenery is everything. That said, even on the toughest of training rides or faster group rides, I at least notice the surroundings.

This is all evidenced by the number of photos I contribute here...
Old 11-02-11, 03:11 PM
"He must be crazy!"

Bikes: Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love ...

Great scenery ...

Quiet roads ...

Hard climbs ...

... And fast descents!

Fortunately, Yorkshire (and nearby Lancashire) has all of those!
Old 11-05-11, 05:48 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Colin J- Beautiful Scenery- you have some wonderful biking country there.
Old 11-05-11, 06:19 AM
"He must be crazy!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
Colin J- Beautiful Scenery- you have some wonderful biking country there.
Yes, indeed!

One day I will make it over to the USA and ride round some of the magnificent countryside there. We don't have anything in the UK to compete with the huge mountains, vast deserts and so on, but the UK countryside does have a compact beauty of its own which is on a more human scale. I love both extremes.
Old 11-05-11, 06:37 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ColinJ, A couple of your photos remind me of New England with the stone fences and terrain following lane and a half roads. Thanks for the pics.

Brad
Old 11-05-11, 06:40 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Colin J - just simply gorgeous. I never imagined that the Island would have scenery like that!!
Old 11-05-11, 01:19 PM
"He must be crazy!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't work in tourism, but honestly guys - the UK has some absolutely gorgeous countryside for cycling. We don't have the epic scale of the USA or mainland European mountain areas like the Alps, Pyrenees or Dolomites, but you can pack an awful lot of beautiful scenery into a two week cycling holiday, and of course - we speak English!

The two things that let us down are the weather and the traffic on the busier roads. You can't do much about the weather other than hope you get a warm sunny day, rather than one of those gloomy damp ones! As for the traffic - we are a crowded little island, but a lot of the population is crammed into bigger cities and there is still a lot of relatively unspoiled countryside surrounding them so you can get away from it all if you know where to go.